Sonos Volume Adjustment/Favorites - Insteon Keypad Linc

Dub
Go to solution Solved by simplextech,

I'm working to replace my Insteon Hub functionality with Polisy and Node Servers.  The last piece seems to be my Sonos control in my garage with a keypad linc. The KPL makes a great controller since I don't always have my phone with me and I typically have 3 stations I listen to, need volume up/down adjustment, and play/pause.  The Hub was a bit of black box on controlling this but it just worked for my setup(was also aggravated at Insteon when they announced the new app wouldn't be able to configure the Sonos integration).  I have the volume buttons on my keypad and they could adjust up/down with the hub(sometimes a little lag or missed a command, but totally functional).

Is there recommended way to set up my volume buttons?  I have some ideas about using the programs with Polisy, but my idea seems a little clunky.  

Is there a recommend way to trigger the "Sonos Favorites"? I have 3 buttons on my KPL for presets. I'm leaning towards a program, because my initial test of configuring this a scan failed(but later looked and the node server was not started, so my test wasn't valid).

1 hour ago, WHaas said:

I'm working to replace my Insteon Hub functionality with Polisy and Node Servers.  The last piece seems to be my Sonos control in my garage with a keypad linc. The KPL makes a great controller since I don't always have my phone with me and I typically have 3 stations I listen to, need volume up/down adjustment, and play/pause.  The Hub was a bit of black box on controlling this but it just worked for my setup(was also aggravated at Insteon when they announced the new app wouldn't be able to configure the Sonos integration).  I have the volume buttons on my keypad and they could adjust up/down with the hub(sometimes a little lag or missed a command, but totally functional).

Is there recommended way to set up my volume buttons?  I have some ideas about using the programs with Polisy, but my idea seems a little clunky.  

Is there a recommend way to trigger the "Sonos Favorites"? I have 3 buttons on my KPL for presets. I'm leaning towards a program, because my initial test of configuring this a scan failed(but later looked and the node server was not started, so my test wasn't valid).

I use programs for my favorites. I use preset volume that auto adjusts depending on room and time vs tying up keypads to turn it up and down. It's easier for me to adjust that from the app the few times I change the volume vs get up and go to the wall for adjustments. However, I don't see why you couldn't achieve what you want via programs and variables

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, simplextech said:

This should be possible through programs.

Thank you I was able to get this working with a state variable.  I got past my original clunky idea and am comfortable with the implementation.  Works great in my initial testing.

14 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

vs tying up keypads to turn it up and down.

Now you have me rethinking my original design, but this is a good thought.  I have been entertaining a different design.  In my garage I dont always have my phone and its a convince, but its a great point, I'm not sure how often I actually adjust the volume.

To both of you.  Thank you very much for replying.  I always learn a lot from both of you in other posts and appreciate your contributions to the community.

7 hours ago, WHaas said:

Thank you I was able to get this working with a state variable.  I got past my original clunky idea and am comfortable with the implementation.  Works great in my initial testing.

Now you have me rethinking my original design, but this is a good thought.  I have been entertaining a different design.  In my garage I dont always have my phone and its a convince, but its a great point, I'm not sure how often I actually adjust the volume.

To both of you.  Thank you very much for replying.  I always learn a lot from both of you in other posts and appreciate your contributions to the community.

You're welcome.

I rarely change the volume myself which is why I use presets. When I studied my habits I realized preset volume adjustments made more sense. The only time I adjusted things where early morning, afternoon/evening, and night as it became late. I took note of where my wife and I would set the volume at different times and set it accordingly. The presents even allows us to turn up the volume for a song and will set it back to where it was after. 

@WHaas If you wanted to press buttons, you could get a mini-remote (or two).  Pressing buttons on it can change state variables to control Sonos.  They hold a charge for a long time.  I have one on my desk to control Sonos:  Play, Pause, Vol up, Vol down, previous song, next song.  You could have another one for your favorite playlists.

4 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

When I studied my habits I realized preset volume adjustments made more sense.

This is a really good point.  With the Hub I only got what was available, which meant less thinking through things.  UDI/ISY/Polisy gives so many more choices, I wished I had bought it years ago, but I'm realizing now I can think through those habits and have a better set up.  Huge paradigm shift from the Hub mindset.

3 hours ago, Ross said:

If you wanted to press buttons, you could get a mini-remote (or two).  Pressing buttons on it can change state variables to control Sonos.  They hold a charge for a long time.  I have one on my desk to control Sonos:  Play, Pause, Vol up, Vol down, previous song, next song.  You could have another one for your favorite playlists.

@RossThank you for the response.  I was able to get the KPL buttons working with a program.  I turned the toggle feature off and set the button to only send the off command.  I use the program to monitor for the Off command.  The off command takes away 3 from the variable for volume down and adds 3 for volume up.  With Z-Wave functionality in the same system I did consider the approach you mention, but with the Zooz Zen34.  I am moving away from the Insteon Mini-Remotes(because of the non-serviceable battery) and only using them when I need a direct link, like to control a switch in a bedroom that is on the wrong wall.  I will keep Insteon trigger devices like that and motion sensors when I want to get the direct link capability.  The Zooz Zen34 should serve the same functionality as an Insteon Switch when using a program.  Its got a more options and support for a lot of scenes natively without using variables.

image.png.6240de1ba242f149c553471de7f34947.png

image.png.eeeb73a48a25e34e03b188f03e499050.png