Old PLM and existing links

Gentstr

I have a PLM firmware version 63 that I have used with PowerHome and MisterHouse. I'm now migrating to an ISY, but would like to keep my existing device links. I know about adding devices with the keep existing links option, but should I do anything to the PLM like a factory reset, or leave it as is?

Gentstr,

Excellent question and I am so very glad you asked since you would've found out the hard way: yes, please factory reset your PLM before reusing it with ISY. Otherwise, the PLM is going to start writing links starting at the end of the previous high watermark.

This could have cause quite a few unintended and unexplained side effects.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have a PLM firmware version 63 that I have used with PowerHome and MisterHouse. I'm now migrating to an ISY, but would like to keep my existing device links. I know about adding devices with the keep existing links option, but should I do anything to the PLM like a factory reset, or leave it as is?
  • 8 months later...

Michel,

Sorry for reviving such an old post but I thought its best to keep this information easily accessable and in the same topic.

I have an ISY26 which wasn't being used in which my ISY99 upgrade should be arriving today. I am also expecting a new PLM from Smarthome in a day or two. My issue is slightly different in that I am using Powerhome also, with a USB PLM and all scenes are functioning and working perfectly. I want to move from PH to the ISY99 and want to make absolutely sure that I don't screw tings up.

Would my situation dictate that I can simply use the new ISY and the new PLM to find one device (KPL) and spider the rest of the devices?

Should I leave the old USB PLM plugged in with PH off for this process?

I planned to link the ISY99 to a KPL and have it spider for all other links by using the "add devices found in links and keep existing links" option.

Does this sound right? I was concerned about the existing links to the old PLM and how to get rid of them as I plan on moving away from PH.

Hi gatchel,

No problem at all!

1. Yes, you can have ISY spider your whole network

2. Please unplug the PH PLM

This said, however, my personal preference (based on past experiences) is to simply start from scratch. The reasons are as follows:

1. PH is excellent for ensuring master/slave link relationships are captured correctly. But, this does not mean that the devices have the correct links. For a variety of reasons they might have 1/2 links the outcome of the importing of which into ISY will cause unexpected/unexplained behavior. It will take you longer to figure out the source of issues rather than starting fresh

2. All devices/scenes are imported by their addresses/numbers. It would take you a while trying to figure out which scene is what and which device is which. This gets even more exacerbating if you have many half links

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived