MatterZ? ZMatter?

ZMatter or MatterZ or something else?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should we call our Z-Wave/Matter module?

• MatterZ
    • ZMatter
    • Zomezing elze!

9 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I havent even got my Polisy updated for ISY yet and now there is a new one?

It's not a bad thing. Some people like to be on the latest and greatest while others take their time to grow into a new system. Polisy itself isnt going anywhere so you would still be able to use it. eisy simply allows UDI to have a purpose built solution to whats out now and coming out in the near term. 

This is why Michel talks about 3 years. We no longer live in a world where UDI can have a single controller for a 10 year period like the isy994. Too much changes too fast and consumer demands modern equipment. It costs them more time/money to keep updating an old controller than simply designing a new solution for the future. 

The great thing is that its a great investment either way. If you want the latest and greatest then any new controller will be worth purchasing. If not, then your old controller is just fine. it'll still work. There are people out there still using the ISY99 which came out over 10 years ago. However, UDI has to do what they have to do in order to remain relevant and stay in business. The main thing for that is to make money. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Yes. Since I bought my phone, there have been literally 20+ more variations with 5G, flip, curved, faster, higher resolution, etc. It doesn't mean that I will have to change my phone. Especially since we will still support Polisy for another 3 years.

With kind regards,

Michel

You plan to support the Polisy for only 3 years????????

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Its already been out for 3! Thats 6 years total. What device do you find being supported that long? That doesnt mean it will stop working. That means they would no longer be trying to bring new features to it like they are now. Its the same situation that the isy994 is in. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Yes of course. They both use the same OS and we made sure all underlying services work on both. The only issue might be unavailability of parts in case of hardware failure. But, I very much doubt there will be many of those. Also, you can use the ZMatter board on Polisy.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Yes of course. They both use the same OS and we made sure all underlying services work on both. The only issue might be unavailability of parts in case of hardware failure. But, I very much doubt there will be many of those. Also, you can use the ZMatter board on Polisy.

With kind regards,
Michel

Ok thanks.  Probably asked and answered but is there an ETA for the eisy?

33 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I was wondering- Will eisy stay with the 700 series zwave or use 800 series?

My bet is that Eisy will be firmware upgradable to 800 (probably at a later date) and then it will be as easy as changing the Zwave USB dongle.

2 hours ago, asbril said:

My bet is that Eisy will be firmware upgradable to 800 (probably at a later date) and then it will be as easy as changing the Zwave USB dongle.

Probably not, as the move from the 300 series up to the 700 series required new chipsets that incorporated lower power usage, greater range and increased speed among other benefits.

6 minutes ago, Techman said:

Probably not, as the move from the 300 series up to the 700 series required new chipsets that incorporated lower power usage, greater range and increased speed among other benefits.

I think thats what he meant when he talked about changing out the zwave usb dongle

2 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I think thats what he meant when he talked about changing out the zwave usb dongle

In looking at the pictures that Michel posted showing the Zwave/Matter board that plugs into the eisy, it appears that all the components are hardwired to the board.

42 minutes ago, Techman said:

In looking at the pictures that Michel posted showing the Zwave/Matter board that plugs into the eisy, it appears that all the components are hardwired to the board.

No the zwave/matter board internal is only for polisy. Eisy appears to be built on mele Quite line(https://www.mele.cn/) This line doesn't have the same internal interface. As Michel said "MatterZ board will be USB and plugs into one of the USB ports."

2 hours ago, ase said:

No the zwave/matter board internal is only for polisy. Eisy appears to be built on mele Quite line(https://www.mele.cn/) This line doesn't have the same internal interface. As Michel said "MatterZ board will be USB and plugs into one of the USB ports."

You guys are way more technically knowledgeable than I am, and I am just assuming that an upgrade to 800 would be simple. Either Michel or time 😁 will tell us.

Edited by asbril
29 minutes ago, asbril said:

You guys are way more technically knowledgeable than I am, and I am just assuming that an upgrade to 800 would be simple. Either Michel or time 😁 will tell us.

It would be similar to the process now. I was just wondering since 800 chips are already available. They also wouldn't have to recertify which is also a cost savings

Edited by lilyoyo1
On 8/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Techman said:

YES, specs are set forth below

eisy specs.jpg

How much is 4GB / 64GB in terms of number of things one is able (limited) to do?  Why would one want/need 8GB/128GB? Will it support installing other software, e.g. stuff that folks might have given to a Raspberry Pi?

I found in another post that, by comparison, Polisy has 1Ghz Quad Core AMD CPU, 4GB RAM, 32GB 3D NAND SSD. (Please correct this if it's wrong)

Using 'df -h' command, it looks like I'm using less than 3.5GB of disk space. Using the 'top' command I see that my Polisy's RAM usage is: 119M Active, 611M Inact, 40M Laundry, 2844M Wired, 292M Free. Is the 2.8GB of Wired RAM available to use if needed or am I maxing out my Polisy? I have 4 node servers running, which doesn't seem like much to me, and am not yet using IoP. 

Hi @Michel Kohanim super exiting to see you guys moving forward with Matter support. I have a couple of questions I'd love to learn about:

• Will the Matter USB stick work with the ISY994 or will it only work with Polisy?
  • Will the new Eisy box still support Insteon Devices? I currently own the ISY994 and use this to control my Insteon setup. If so will it be possible to move the current Insteon setup from ISY994 to Eisy?
  • I assume the Matter board/usb stick are so that we can IMPORT Thread/Matter devices into your boxes, correct? Do you also have support planned so that we can can EXPORT devices? Basically I'd like to know if the ISY/Polisy/Eisy will also become a matter hub so that we could import all of our Insteon/Zwave/Etc devices (from ISY/Polisy/Eisy) into HomeKit, Alexa, Google, etc...

Would love to hear your thoughts on this as I am planning a big overhaul of my smart home and want to know how to move forward (especially with my existing Insteon devices)

17 hours ago, Venicenerd said:

Hi @Michel Kohanim super exiting to see you guys moving forward with Matter support. I have a couple of questions I'd love to learn about:

• Will the Matter USB stick work with the ISY994 or will it only work with Polisy?
  • Will the new Eisy box still support Insteon Devices? I currently own the ISY994 and use this to control my Insteon setup. If so will it be possible to move the current Insteon setup from ISY994 to Eisy?
  • I assume the Matter board/usb stick are so that we can IMPORT Thread/Matter devices into your boxes, correct? Do you also have support planned so that we can can EXPORT devices? Basically I'd like to know if the ISY/Polisy/Eisy will also become a matter hub so that we could import all of our Insteon/Zwave/Etc devices (from ISY/Polisy/Eisy) into HomeKit, Alexa, Google, etc...

Would love to hear your thoughts on this as I am planning a big overhaul of my smart home and want to know how to move forward (especially with my existing Insteon devices)

The insteon question was answered in the previous post you posted on. No, matter support is not coming to the 994 as it's eol. Matter support is only for polisy and eisy. 

You can import your current setup to polisy. There's a polisy sub-forum  dedicated to that controller that details people's experiences in addition to additional information. The wiki also has the instructions for doing so (since you have insteon it's pretty much backup and restore)

Edited by lilyoyo1
22 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The insteon question was answered in the previous post you posted on. No, matter support is not coming to the 994 as it's eol. Matter support is only for polisy and eisy. 

You can import your current setup to polisy. There's a polisy sub-forum  dedicated to that controller that details people's experiences in addition to additional information. The wiki also has the instructions for doing so (since you have insteon it's pretty much backup and restore)

Perfect, thanks! Still hoping to learn more about if the Eisy will also become a Matter Hub itself. I would love to be able to integrate any devices on the Eisy into HomeKit, Alexa, Home Assitant, etc... via matter. That would be the BIG feature for me. It would truly be the hub for everything.

25 minutes ago, Venicenerd said:

Perfect, thanks! Still hoping to learn more about if the Eisy will also become a Matter Hub itself. I would love to be able to integrate any devices on the Eisy into HomeKit, Alexa, Home Assitant, etc... via matter. That would be the BIG feature for me. It would truly be the hub for everything.

That's the whole premise of Matter 

38 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

That's the whole premise of Matter 

Yes but I believe there is a difference between supporting matter devices and being a matter hub itself. Everything I’ve read so far only says that you can use matter devices on the Eisy. I have not seen any confirmation that the Eisy itself can function as a Matter hub (to be imported into HomeKit etc…). That’s what I’m hoping to get official word on. If this has been previously confirmed I’d love to know!

12 minutes ago, Venicenerd said:

Yes but I believe there is a difference between supporting matter devices and being a matter hub itself. Everything I’ve read so far only says that you can use matter devices on the Eisy. I have not seen any confirmation that the Eisy itself can function as a Matter hub (to be imported into HomeKit etc…). That’s what I’m hoping to get official word on. If this has been previously confirmed I’d love to know!

???

If you're supporting matter devices then you're a hub. If you're being supported then youre a device. 

In regards to apple and homekit that truly remains to be seen as they have not opened up on what their plans fully are outside of them saying they'll support it (and adding it to iOS). Being apple, there will be strings attached I'm sure. However, no one can speak on that until Matter actually comes out and/or apple let's the cat out the bag.

Edited by lilyoyo1