8-button keypad failed, Replace or Repair?

giomania

I just had an 8-button keypad fail, so desperately need to find a replacement but the prices on eBay are around $100, so not an extreme markup from the old $79.99 MSRP. It is the load button that no longer works, and this is the second keypad in my system with the exact same failure. They were years apart and in different locations.

Should I just purchase from eBay? I just had my spare PLM repaired and I did ask the guy if he made any other repairs but never got a response to that query.

Signed, desperately seeking advice. ?

8 hours ago, giomania said:

I just had an 8-button keypad fail, so desperately need to find a replacement but the prices on eBay are around $100, so not an extreme markup from the old $79.99 MSRP. It is the load button that no longer works, and this is the second keypad in my system with the exact same failure. They were years apart and in different locations.

Should I just purchase from eBay? I just had my spare PLM repaired and I did ask the guy if he made any other repairs but never got a response to that query.

Will the load work from a remote location via signals?

If so, then some contact cleaner shot down the throat of that switch may clean up the contacts and make it work again.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Will the load work from a remote location via signals?

If so, then some contact cleaner shot down the throat of that switch may clean up the contacts and make it work again.

This is great.  Good troubleshooting tip.  I would try this to.

8 hours ago, giomania said:

Maybe some other members will chime in on troubleshooting, but if it comes down to the KPL needs replacing, I can tell you what I did.  While the eBay prices are inflated they do seem to be coming down and I'm seeing some auctions end with 0 bids.  I haven't found anything that I consider a great replacement for the 8 btn KPL as a scene controller.  I have mapped out my own strategy moving forward so I have options.  For responders I'm more flexible because of Polisy so I have choices.  But I have bought a few KPL from eBay before the Insteon resurrection even with the higher prices because they are a critical part of our daily use.  While I don't like paying a few bucks more, its not worth the effort or worrying about over spending on a couple of replacements.  I consider those extra dollars as time saved, which is at a premium for me.  I would be surprised if the Insteon doesn't continue selling these in the future and you could wait for Insteon, although it may be months.  If these aren't critical to your daily use and you have a UDI ISY/Polisy you could go with a Zooz 5 btn controller.  I haven't testest these, but my other Zooz devices work with my Polisy.  Good luck and hope you get things worked out.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I found this repair site.  I sent a message to it yesterday(10 Sep 22), but no response, yet.  I have heard that replacing the electrolytic caps will fix "dark" devices.  (I just ordered some 6.4μ 400V caps in that hope.

I have been looking for a forum where members could discuss how to repair Insteon devices.  This will be important for us that are heavily invested.

OSD

15 hours ago, Old Surfer Dude said:

I found this repair site.  I sent a message to it yesterday(10 Sep 22), but no response, yet.  I have heard that replacing the electrolytic caps will fix "dark" devices.  (I just ordered some 6.4μ 400V caps in that hope.

I have been looking for a forum where members could discuss how to repair Insteon devices.  This will be important for us that are heavily invested.

OSD

From the sites page. That link is from Smartenit and only for repairs of their Smartenit and earlier ones with their older name Simplehomenet products. Units using the 2413 base plm board may or may not be fixed by them. As they got burned with poor capacitors like we did in our 2413S PLM and Revision 2 of the Access Points. Though asking them if they would consider fixing other modules could get a more definite answer.

Depending on the model of the device. It should have more than one electrolytic capacitor. The 6.4uF 400V is the primary side of the switching power supplies input filter capacitor. Some I have seen more of the electrolytic style and some look like they have surface mounted Tantalum caps. Many times marked with the polarity and ratings. Yellow body is frequently the color of the cap. Tantalum caps are better as long as they are not stressed.

Edited by Brian H
Add information

Yes it was the same sellers page with other items for sale. They had a few kits for the 2413S and some for the 2413U. You could tell them your hardware revision and had different kits to match what your version has in it.

Tried a direct link but it was like 4 lines long.

Edited by Brian H

On 9/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, MrBill said:

You might ask this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284790289019 If he's interested in doing anything besides hubs/PLMs. I haven't communicated with him in month but back around the first of the year I exchanged ebay messages with him, he was very responsive.

I sent him my old PLM for repair a couple of months ago, and asked him if he repaired keypads, but he never responded. I guess he is too busy now, lol.

Mark

16 hours ago, giomania said:

asked him if he repaired keypads, but he never responded. I guess he is too busy now

Try again. @MrBill said the seller communicated quickly earlier this year. Sure, probably a little busier these days, but still should be responsive. Might have just missed the question if in with other communication. I find eBay communications like forum posts...you get more attention (and quicker answers) when you start a new message rather than adding a random question onto an existing string of communication. 

But looking at this item it has "Keypad Linc" as an option...so I'd say they probably do.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...