Random on

cmerlino

Need suggestions! I've been using ISY994 & Insteon for over 13 years, but now I have one, and only one, on/off module that turns on by itself at random times every 2-3 weeks. It is controlling a small audio amp (patio). The module is a controller for the scene with a keypad linc button, and that in turn will trigger a program that executes a network resource that (via iTach) turns on the main audio amp. The result of all this is finding music playing randomly - sometimes at 4am. Today was lucky, it turned on at 2:38pm. It is only the one module (for the outdoor amp) and I have replaced it with a spare brand new module, same issue. Since it happens so rarely, I can't catch it in the logs. Any ideas why? How to catch it? How to stop it??

7 hours ago, cmerlino said:

The module is a controller for the scene with a keypad linc button, and that in turn will trigger a program that executes a network resource that (via iTach) turns on the main audio amp.

This description has me confused.  You say you have an On/Off module but then say it's a controller for a scene.  Is it actually a switch?  Then you say it controls a network resource to turn on the main audio amp.  So it's an On/Off module but it doesn't actually control the load for the audio amp?  It would be helpful to know the model # of the On/Off module.

7 hours ago, cmerlino said:

I have replaced it with a spare brand new module, same issue.

This would seem to rule out the module itself as the cause of the problem.  How did you actually replace the old module with the new module in the ISY control panel?  Did you use the "Replace Device" option, or did you manually recreate the links between the module and other devices.  If you used the "Replace Device" option, you might try doing a factory reset on the device and recreating all the links manually.  If there was an aberrant link in the old device causing your problems, using "Replace Device" might have copied it into the new device.

In your description above, you mention a KeypadLinc button.  Is that only a responder in the scene, or is it also a controller?  If it is also a controller, then it might be causing the problem.  You might try doing a factory reset and then a "Restore Device" on the KeypadLinc.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cmerlino said:

Need suggestions! I've been using ISY994 & Insteon for over 13 years, but now I have one, and only one, on/off module that turns on by itself at random times every 2-3 weeks. It is controlling a small audio amp (patio). The module is a controller for the scene with a keypad linc button, and that in turn will trigger a program that executes a network resource that (via iTach) turns on the main audio amp. The result of all this is finding music playing randomly - sometimes at 4am. Today was lucky, it turned on at 2:38pm. It is only the one module (for the outdoor amp) and I have replaced it with a spare brand new module, same issue. Since it happens so rarely, I can't catch it in the logs. Any ideas why? How to catch it? How to stop it??

What causes the music to play? Is it the on/off module being on or the network resource itself? What I would do is remove the network resource line from the program and manually turn on the module to see what happens.

Since you didnt post your programs or give any details about your system, we are limited in assistance. I suspect your program is using the status of the module being on (which is why 2 different modules are causing the same issue). By using status, the NR would run anytime the module was on regardless of how it was turned on.

Typically, the isy does not see commands originating outside of it so the status of your module would not update. This tells me that there is something within your programming causing the issue (could be an old program or device is part of another scene). Does the kpl turn on as well when it happens? The more information you provide us the better we can assist you in figuring out your issue

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kclenden said:

You say you have an On/Off module but then say it's a controller for a scene.

An ON/OFF plug in module can be added to a scene as a Controller.  It doesn't do what OP thinks tho, instead it allows the manual button on the side of the controller to be a scene controller..  (on dimming modules with the "sense" feature for manual control, the sense feature will also update the scene if the module is a controller in the scene.)

18 hours ago, cmerlino said:

Any ideas why? How to catch it? How to stop it??

We need to see your programs related to this, right click the program name, then click "copy to clipboard" (the last item on the context popup), then paste into a forum message.   In addition it might be helpful if you click module in the tree and show us the "membership" boxes on the far right side of the screen that show how you scene is setup

If you want it prevent it from being on overnight while we are searching for the real problem you could use a new program like this:

If

From 10:00PM
           to 7:00am (next day)
AND Status 'Amp Module' in not off

then

Wait 10 seconds
      set 'Amp Module' off

That's just a band-aid until the real issue is discovered.

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help. Here is more detail:

- on/off module "Outdoor Amplifier" (2635-222) feeding a Pyle amp with hard on/off switch always on.
- Sony AVR (inside amp) controlled with iTach IPtoIR
- Scene "Music - Outside" has module "Outdoor Amplifier" (Controller/Responder) and KPL button-6 (C/R)
- Scene "Music - Inside" has KPL button-5 (C/R) + other KPL button (C/R)
- Program "Music Inside" 
    Music - Inside - [ID 0010][Parent 0001]
    If
            'LR Keypad-L-Fireplace / LR Keypad-L-Music Inside' Status is On
    Then
            Resource 'Sony STR-DH830 - Video 1'
     Else
            Set 'Music - Outside' Off
            Resource 'Sony STR-DH830 - Power Off'
- Program "Music Outside"
    Music - Outside - [ID 0011][Parent 0001]
    If
            'LR Keypad-L-Fireplace / LR Keypad-L-Music Outside' Status is On
    Then
            Set 'Music - Inside' On
            Resource 'Sony STR-DH830 - Video 1'
            Wait  2 seconds
    Else
       - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The amp inputs are fed via Y cable by a pc always looping iTunes, so amp on = music...

The idea was the inside music should always be on when the outside music is on, that way I can avoid annoying the neighbors by leaving the outside music on by mistake.
This all works great - except...

Initially, the "Outdoor Amplifier" on/off module was only a responder to the scene. Randomly (every few days/weeks) the outside amp (and only the amp) would turn on.
Couldn't figure out what was turning it on. Quick fix was to make the module a controller/responder, so now when it randomly turns on, at least the inside music cranks up and I'll hear it and can turn it off - and that works as expected - hence the 4:30am Rolling Stones "concert"...

Latest update is this - similar to suggestion (THANKS!):
    Music Auto-Off - [ID 002B][Parent 0001]
    If
            'Outdoor Amplifier' Status is On
        And 'Entry Keypad - Security' Status is not Off
    Then
            Wait  5 seconds
            Set 'Music - Outside' Off
            Set 'Music - Inside' Off
            Send Notification to 'Chris & Raquel' content 'Music On'
    Else
           - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Also, yes - when I replaced the module, I used the "Replace Device" option.
I will try factory reset and recreate the links.

Since the events are random and infrequent, we'll see if it's still being "magical/possessed".
My assumption is that I have something banged up - I just can't find it.
All ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated
THANKS ALL!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out of the country for a week, so just getting to this,

My first steps would be to factory reset the module then use "restore device" from the ISY. 

If that didn't solve the problem then full delete from the ISY, factory reset the module again, and re-add.  with this method you'll also need to recreate scene's and programs.

• Like 1