got advice for selecting thermostats?

johnradams

I am looking for a thermostat which I can place in a remote location (farmhouse) and access settings via the Internet. We have reliable DSL at this remote location. We don't have any Insteon there (yet), but I am thinking that it might be worth biting the bullet and getting an ISY, thermostat, some Insteon switches, etc.

One of my goals is to make sure that the thermostat is set to something reasonable (in case some youth leave a thermostat at 70 when they leave during the winter!). Another goal is to have an ISY control lights, which would be nice for security.

FYI, I am also looking to set up a Davis weather station and monitor it remotely, but that's another topic (but feel free to provide ideas!).

In addition to the thermostat for the farmhouse, I'd also like to install some intelligent thermostats in my home (we've got several which need to be replaced anyway). The SmartHome website has have dozens of thermostats -- which ones are good, and work well with ISY?

Thanks in advance for help, suggestions, ideas, etc.

• 2 months later...

I use the Proliphix NT130e thermostat and would reccomend it. Great for remote houses and rental property. It is IP based and requires hard wiring to your Internet router. I like the remote monitoring service that Proliphix provides that allows me to receive a text message or email if an alarm condition is meet or the thermostat is not reachable.

The NT series does have a network API that would allow you to interface it with your ISY. I am still working on my integration of the two systems.

http://www.proliphix.com

Contact me if you have questions.

/Tom

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys does anyone know if the

INSTEON 2441ZTH Wireless Thermostat

will work with the old 2 wire system ?

I read somewhere it uses batteries so I would not need the 24volt connection ..

But if it does I can always wire one in and put the transformer in the cellar ?

Its an old farm house and it just has an Oil heater that why it only has 2 wires

I would like to know if anyone has got this to work before I plop down 150 dollars only to not work..

Thanks I am real new to this and this Forum is awesome !

Thanks in advance,

No it has no connections for any heating or cooling system.

The 2441TH should work if you add a 24 volt AC power supply transformer and an isolation relay.

Venstar makes a two wire heat only kit that could also be used to supply the needed 24 volts AC and the isolation relay.

http://www.smarthome.com/30418/Venstar- ... Kit/p.aspx

Archived