Insteon being unstable

tummalarb

I have a smaller setup here. Five insteon devices in downstairs and Four upstairs. Sometimes, ISY would not be able to communicate with any device in downstairs. I wait for couple of hours and try again everything would be fine!! I wonder if it is the problem with Insteon signaling or with the ISY. How to isolate the problem in this kind of situations? (BTW, all the insteon devices are less than 3 months old and ISY is using 2.7.11 Alpha).

Hi tummalarb,

Ah, this is going to be a little tricky!

The first thing I would do is to observe the "time" when the communications are worst. The next step would be to figure out what is on during those periods. Please note the following:

1. If your ISY/PLM is next to your computer, please ensure that your computer/monitor is plugged into a filterlinc

2. If you have two phases, then please ensure that you are bridging them using Access Points

3. If any of the loads are CFL/Halogen, please remove them and see if that helps the situation

With kind regards,

Michel

I have a smaller setup here. Five insteon devices in downstairs and Four upstairs. Sometimes, ISY would not be able to communicate with any device in downstairs. I wait for couple of hours and try again everything would be fine!! I wonder if it is the problem with Insteon signaling or with the ISY. How to isolate the problem in this kind of situations? (BTW, all the insteon devices are less than 3 months old and ISY is using 2.7.11 Alpha).

Yes any device that is now microprocessor controlled. Can cause problems.

I believe I have seen a refrigerator reported as being a problem.

I also have seen washer dryer combinations that have there own data buss between then reported as problems.

It could be an opposite problem as well. If the Access Points are not setup correctly, they may not be bridging the phases. However, there may be a device in your home, i.e. an A/C or electric dryer that successfully bridges the phases, but only when running or not running. Could that be your problem?

Which filters do you recommend? I searched on smarthome's website and found X10 filters. Do they have filters for Insteon also? Please let me know the item # or model # from smarthome website. Thanks in advance. I shall relocate the access points and try as well.

The X10 power line signal frequency is 120kHz and Insteon 131.KHz.

I believe Smarthome recommends their FilterLinc 5 and 10 amp X10 filters. I have a few of the 10 amp ones and they seen to work fine in my mixed Insteon and X10 setup.

It is more important that the access points be on different phases than physically remote from one another. The setup procedure for the access points determines if they are on different phases. You may want to factory reset the access points and go through the linking procedure again. Additional access points may be installed if you need remote RF coverage, or have more than one breaker panel that are fed seperately from your meter. They are not necessary, but it may help.

Further to the other comments, the location of the first two access points will contribute to the robustness of most installations more than installing additional access points. (In fact, it seems that having too many access points can even be counterproductive.)

I strongly recommend the following for any new Insteon installation:

1. Install (or have your electrician install) two receptacles right next to the main circuit breaker panel, one on each phase, optimally on dedicated circuit breakers.

2. Plug one access point into each receptacle. This is also a great place to locate ISY's PLM.

3. While you're at it, ensure that all circuit breaker screws are snug.

The cost of doing this is minimal--especially if you do the work yourself--and can potentially save a lot of optimizing/troubleshooting effort later on.

-Jim

I agree with putting one of the access points at the panel with the isy but I put the other one as far away as possible. IMHO, putting the access points side by side doesn't cover the whole house.

It seems like we are talking about two different situations. If you don't have any wireless items like a t-stat or a motion sensor, then sticking the access points close together works. But, is there any evidence that they work better a foot apart vs on opposite ends of the house?

Here in Tahoe, we are limited on lot coverage when we build homes so most houses have a small footprint on the lot and rise up three stories. I put one at the ISY location and the other one as far as possible away on the other phase two floors away. I have two t-stats adn four m/s that all work perfectly. I have many types of CFL and LED lamps spread across the house too. I guess I'm lucky.

Archived