E-mail TLS 1.2

JSchumann
Go to solution Solved by kzboray,

I was notified by Xfinity that email won't work any more unless TLS 1.2 is being used (vice 1.1).  I looked at my settings Configuration Email/Notifications Settings/Groups and there is only a checkbox to use TLS, it doesn't offer an option for version.

I have

V5.3.0 2020-10-01-14:39:56 for both Firmware and UI

Any advice, I want to keep Comcast, not use Gmail.

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

@JSchumann You will need to update your ISY994i to 5.3.4 which supports TLS 1.2.

The 5.3.4 Update is now available for the ISY994 product.

Notes:

-  SSLv3 is now disabled. All models now support TLS1.2 and high grade cipher suites

-  4.1.1 backups may corrupt Z-Wave configuration in case they are restored. 4.1.2 and above releases fix this issue

-  See our Wiki for additional information (e.g. Program Variables)

Please follow the upgrade instructions on the 5.3.4 page.

Edited by kzboray
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, JSchumann said:

This did not fix the issue.  It appears to affect messaging to a text number more than an email.  Ex. Xyz@txt.att.net

Also note that email to text/SMS is extremely unreliable and not suggested as a method to be used for quite some time. Many carriers are delaying such messages or bouncing them all together. 

If you're only relying on email to text for notifications you should consider alternate options. Many have been discussed through the forums so won't rehash what they are or how to set them up, but you should be able to find them easily. 

But both above suggestions of updating to 5.3.4 are correct for the initial steps to resolve sending email with Comcast. I know others that do it without issue. 

Upgraded to 5.3.4, still have the issue.

Text has been working fine until I got an email from comcast stating an application I am using is outdated will not be able to work if they do not update TLS 1.2.

Email is working fine (Comcast for both send and receive), also receive email on Gmail account.

37 minutes ago, Techman said:

I'm running 5.3.4 and use text messages via ATT.NET and found it to be very reliable with no delays.

I have my timeout(ms) set to 6000

Techman, what are your Server settings for outgoing?

I have:

smtp.comcast.net

Port 587 with TLS checked and

timeout 6000

sending to user@txt.att.net

Geddy, I will look for the alternate options.....

Thanks,

John

18 hours ago, JSchumann said:

Xyz@txt.att.net

you'll find that 10digitnumber@mms.att.net is better than 10digitnumber@txt.att.net, I've typed the reasons so many times that I won't repeat here, there in the forum at least a dozen times tho.

also as @Geddymentions email to text in general is not reliable.  Pushover or UD Mobile are better choices.

• Like 1

OK, I give up on text since the group deems is unreliable (although it has been fine for me for years).

I set up a UDMobile Notification.  Played with Program Variables and I think I get how it works.  

So now I need to copy all my text notifications over to Network entries.

The notification seems to get delivered very quick.

Thanks for the help all!

Regards,

John

4 hours ago, JSchumann said:

OK, I give up on text since the group deems is unreliable (although it has been fine for me for years).

It seems to come and go. Some (like @Techman above) say it works well, but just as many (or more) have come here to complain about not getting mission critical texts for hours, days, weeks later. There have been news reports of email to text messages taking months to deliver. (Not just ISY notifications)

So, while is HAS worked well it’s a risky option that most would not suggest people use…especially alerts you might deem “mission critical”.  

Glad you got UD mobile alerts working, and yes…they are very quick! 

One thing people like about using Pushover is if you’re on iOS you can have different alerts and urgent delivery types that will come in through Focus times if necessary and setup that way, 

Just some different options for new ways to get alerts.