Troubleshooting missing program triggers

EricK

A few days ago I began having a problem with my system. Devices are not triggering programs.  Initially All of my leak sensors failed to report a heartbeat. I replaced the battery on one and I triggered it, which in delayed fashion triggered my water Valve off connected via io link. I have since not had a leak sensor missed heart beat. When I open the back door at night the door sensor is supposed to turn the back lights on and this is not working. It’s not just battery devices, it’s  all devices. The shower fan should turn off after 20 minutes, not working, and I have a KPL button I press in the morning that is supposed to run some programs.  Timers are running with no issues and if I trigger a program thru the admin console it seems to work fine. Landscape lights turn on and off at the proper times. 
my thought is it’s the serial plm going bad, maybe it’s sending but not receiving. I have an older one that my father replaced some capacitors on and might work.  
what should I do to troubleshoot?  Restore PLM? Swap it out and hope the refurbished one works. Unfortunately I had purchased a new plm but it was usb, they were actually already out of the serial ones. Upgrade to policy?
running firmware 5.3.3, same UI.  

thank you,

Eric.

@EricK If all your devices are Insteon, then I agree that the PLM is suspect. I would try doing a restore from the AC and see if that fixes your issues before going to far down the rabbit hole.

Just for information, yes if you purchase a Polisy that will work with your USB PLM, but the Polisy is out of stock. In the November time frame the new Eisy should become available and that would be your best bet as a replacement for the ISY, but as I said let's try doing a restore on the PLM first.

2022-10-06_17-29-41.png

• Like 2

Thank you very much, yes a house full of Insteon devices. That seemed to fix things At least the door sensor worked. I did not have all of my battery devices in linking mode so I will have to test them. 
I read the thread about the eisy and will watch for preorder availability. 
thank you,

eric. 

3 hours ago, EricK said:

That seemed to fix things

If that fixed the problem, it implies the the PLM Links Table had lost some records.  That can be a sign of a failing PLM.  I'd recommend doing a count of the records in the PLM Links Table now and then every so often checking it again to see if the number changes without you adding/removing new devices or scenes.

You can get a count of the links in your PLM Links Table via Tools->Diagnostics->Show PLM Links Table.  Then click "Start".  It will take a while, but eventually all the links will be listed.  When that is done, click "Count".  That number shouldn't change* unless you add or remove devices and/or scenes.

* if the ISY is interrupted via an event while it's listing the links in the PLM Links Table, it will stop listing links and you'll get an incorrect count.  So you may want to run the listing several times until you get a consistent count.

• Like 2

@EricK If you do end up figuring out you have a failing PLM here is the repair service and cap kits others have used:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/nilachidatasystems/m.html

Most seem to have good reports following sending the devices in for service.

@kclenden makes a good point about any traffic can alter the link count so perform it several times. Best to perform it when nobody is home or awake so you know that no switches or sensors will be triggered during the count. 

Also, a tip would be to open the Admin Console and Event Viewer in Level 3 and watch for traffic. I don't have any battery sensors to test to give you an idea of what you would/should see, but that should show what the ISY is receiving when devices are triggered.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 12:34 AM, kclenden said:

If that fixed the problem, it implies the the PLM Links Table had lost some records.  That can be a sign of a failing PLM.  I'd recommend doing a count of the records in the PLM Links Table now and then every so often checking it again to see if the number changes without you adding/removing new devices or scenes.

You can get a count of the links in your PLM Links Table via Tools->Diagnostics->Show PLM Links Table.  Then click "Start".  It will take a while, but eventually all the links will be listed.  When that is done, click "Count".  That number shouldn't change* unless you add or remove devices and/or scenes.

* if the ISY is interrupted via an event while it's listing the links in the PLM Links Table, it will stop listing links and you'll get an incorrect count.  So you may want to run the listing several times until you get a consistent count.

Thank you very much for your help!!

• Like 1