Can't figure out how to get node server into IoP

CPrince

I finally installed a fresh image on Polisy, updated the packages, and have it working through the portal.  I am not doing a migration at this time, that is until I feel comfortable.  My problem at the moment is I can't seem to populate the Node Servers.  I picked an easy one, Ping.  I added Google 8.8.8.8 started the service.  I put it in slot 1. Service says started in the Polyglot V3 dashboard.  The portal show it loaded.  I have a green dot.  Select Tools, Connectivity, Node Servers, show it loaded to the correct device.  I have rebooted Polyglot and IOP.  Pulled the plug.  Seems to me it should just show up in IoP.  It doesn't.

I must be missing something .

6 hours ago, CPrince said:

The portal show it loaded.  I have a green dot.  Select Tools, Connectivity, Node Servers, show it loaded to the correct device.  I have rebooted Polyglot and IOP.  Pulled the plug.  Seems to me it should just show up in IoP.  It doesn't.

Just where are you looking for it to show up? Are you looking on admin console or on the ISY Portal web site? I think it's only going to show on an Admin Console instance. I've never tried to look for node servers on the ISY Portal route. 

In Admin Console look for the "Node Servers" in the menu.

image.png

@GeddyI never looked for the Node Servers in the Portal either. They are there.  I am trying to get it in the Admin Console.  I did this once before with an ISY994 and I did not have this much trouble.  In Admin Console on IoP, nothing but 100 empty slots.

@CPrince I've never seen them on the portal side and I run several with PG2 and ISY994. I've never tried on PG3 or IoP. I don't know why there would be anything showing on the portal. My assumption is that might go back to the days of PGC or the Occupancy NS that was setup through the ISY Portal. 

It sounds like PG3 isn't setup to push the node servers to IoP. You need to check your ISY settings in PG3 dashboard. 

When logged into PG3 check on "ISYs" on the menu then "Edit Current ISY"

image.png

You should get this screen:

image.png

Just confirm that it's pointing to the UUID of the IoP. More than likely it is, but you also need to set username and password for IoP. 

You should check the log of the PG3 (in screen shot above). There might be errors about it not being able to find the ISY or not able to log into the ISY. This means that PG3 is not communicating with IoP to push node servers to it. 

If you have confirmed that your IoP is the target for PG3 and no node servers show in IoP then I would suggest opening a support ticket and trouble shoot the issue further.

Submit a Ticket:       https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

@GeddyI have been over that Update ISY screen for 3 days.  I deleted and re-added devices a few times this morning.  I tried different ports. Finally ended up back on 8080.  It is working now.  It is working on both IoP and ISY944.  Now for Polyglot V2. I guess that will be my next topic.  Give a monkey enough time an he will type something logical!

Thank you!

@CPrince glad that seems to have worked for you...

Are you saying you're having the same issue with PG2? Are you trying to push PG2 node servers to IoP or back to the existing ISY994 (since you said you aren't migrating yet)?

In PG2 going to the ISY994 it's a little different.

image.png

Go to "Polyglot Settings".

There you want to setup the ISY994 IP address and port is 80.

image.png

Use the ISY994 user (admin) and password (whatever you use to log into admin console)

BE SURE you hit SAVE at the bottom of the page!

@GeddyEvery time I go to Poliglot v2 and click dashboard, I would get a error.  The error said "automatically found ISY at x.x.x.x:80.  Please use set menu to set the password" or something like that.  Well I set the password to the default and IoP; neither worked.  I changed the port from  80 to 8080 and it is working.  I can put nodes on IoP with V2.  V2 does not seem as flexible as V3.  Can't toggle between the 2 devices like V3.  I tried briefly to load a node sever of ISY944 by changing the IP and port.  Didn't work.  May need to power cycle the Polisy. I will try later.  I am probably pushing my luck.

@CPrince PG2 is not able to send node servers to more than one ISY. That's a feature developed specifically under PG3. (I believe)

And yes, PG2 would auto locate an ISY on the same network. It's typically looking for ISY994 in the same subdomain. It probably doesn't auto find the IoP, but guess it could. I haven't tested that. 

So I'd say things are working as expected. You're trying to operate differently.

@CPrince Make sure that the settings in the PG2 web area is accurately pointing to the ISY994. (Make sure you hit save at the bottom of the page!)

Then try just a restart of Polyglot 

image.png

Then check the log after it boots up. 

If it isn't changing to the ISY994 then you might need to start a support ticket to figure out if something in the database is messed up and not removing the IoP address on the PG2 side. Since PG2 isn't being developed further it might be a quirk that can't be fixed. But it could also be something simple to fix it as well. If you open a ticket download the PG2 log and include it (you might need to zip the file) in your support ticket so it can be reviewed to get you the right steps to fix this.

Simple check to see which ISY PG2 is talking to...check the bottom of any page for the "ISY version" running to see what it's connecting to.

image.png

Mine shows 5.3.4 since PG2 is talking with my ISY994. 

@GeddyI did manage to get the Polisy PG2 to point to my ISY.  Seems it was a port issue.  Now however I am getting some really weird stuff happening.  Like on the Habitat node server, I can tell Alexa to turn on/off a Habitat light and the light comes on/off and ISY shows it on.  In ISY I can turn the same light on/off, the light goes on/off but ISY does't show it on.  The light in ISY is also displayed as a  1/2 domino (square w/ 6 dots) and not a light.  Then the Harmony app went to heck too.  So I am going to unload all the nodes from the IoP, ISY, PG2 and PG3 and start over focusing on loading the ISY.  If I can get this to work; why migrate to IoP?

11 minutes ago, CPrince said:

So I am going to unload all the nodes from the IoP, ISY, PG2 and PG3 and start over focusing on loading the ISY.  If I can get this to work; why migrate to IoP?

It sounds like you're going to start rebuilding from scratch.  If I'm reading that right I'd build it in IoP, not a 994.  While the 994 is an unbelievably solid device, it is over 10 years old and much slower than Polisy.  It's also at end of life, whereas new development moves forward for IoP.  

Migration is in fact difficult and I've concluded that personally to move over, I need to start from scratch.  I've got it penciled in as my January project.  As soon as Christmas is put away the next move is move everything over to Polisy.  I figure the bulk will  be complete in 2days, but a week for all programs recreated. Followed by adjustments as needed.

25 minutes ago, CPrince said:

Like on the Habitat node server, I can tell Alexa to turn on/off a Habitat light and the light comes on/off and ISY shows it on.  In ISY I can turn the same light on/off, the light goes on/off but ISY does't show it on.  The light in ISY is also displayed as a  1/2 domino (square w/ 6 dots) and not a light.  Then the Harmony app went to heck too. 

Can't help on the Habitat or Harmony side...don't use either of those.  Did the light come in as a different icon in the past? 

I use Hue and it comes into ISY994 this way:

image.png

The Hue bridge is as you describe as the domino, but the lights come in with bulbs, but groups of lights have the domino behind the light bulb. I wouldn't worry too much about that...it's just an icon. But, again I don't know if that matters to the system or not.

27 minutes ago, CPrince said:

If I can get this to work; why migrate to IoP?

As @MrBill says why start all over and put it into the ISY994? I'd just build out PG3 and move directly into ISY on Polisy if you're doing something from scratch. Why not just move the devices over to IoP before starting node servers? But, I haven't moved over to IoP either...mostly because I don't use many node servers and things work now...plus, it's all "family approved". Don't want to rock the boat. :)

@MrBill

3 hours ago, MrBill said:

It sounds like you're going to start rebuilding from scratch

No, the ISY994 still up and running just fine.  I wanted to learn how to use node servers before I blew up a production device.  Looks like I took out the Polisy learning.  I have the node servers removed from both the IoP and ISY944.   The node server lists are clean.  I have uninstalled all the node servers from PG2 and PG3.  PG2 shows I am clean on both the ISY and IoP  (I have to toggle the IP's and ports back and forth).  PG3 shows I have the Habitat stuck on IoP.  PG3 shows ISY994 is clean (I toggle at the top drop down).  Since Habitat only runs on PG2, I reinstalled it in slot 3 on the IoP, verified it was installed and deleted it again.  It is still stuck.  @GeddyHabitat used to work correctly and look like your Hue until something got crossed.  Anyway to clean out PG3?  Worst case I could reload the Polisy.

image.png.dc5444d3a7f128ad8ce5d4b5018fc476.png

Unmanaged means that it is/was not installed by that instance of PG3 but it was detected on the ISY/IoP the last time it queried the ISY/IoP.

It queries the ISY/IoP every 5 minutes so it take up to 5 minutes for it to go away once removed from the ISY/IoP. 

However, it is also possible that if it gets an empty list of node servers from the IoP when before it was getting a non-empty list, it may think something is wrong and ignore that empty list.  This is because you may be planning to restore the IoP from a backup and it doesn't want to update it's database and lose all the node server's configured if that is the case.  Basically, PG3 doesn't know why it is now getting an empty list from the IoP so it does nothing.

If this is the case, then as soon as you install a node server on the IoP, the list won't be empty and PG3 will update it's database to correctly reflect what is installed on the IoP.

• Like 2

@bpwwer 

17 hours ago, bpwwer said:

If this is the case, then as soon as you instal a node server on the IoP, the list won't be empty and PG3 will update it's database to correctly reflect what is installed on the IoP.

That being said I reinstalled Ping Node Serverin slot 1 of PG3 (it would not allow me to install in slot 3; for obvious reason) and rebooted PG3.  Hubitat disappeared.  I deleted Ping and now have a clean slate on PG3.  I switched over to PG2 and Ping was orphaned.  I rebooted PG2 and PG2 is now clear. 

Thanks I was dreading to do a factory reset on Polisy.  It is always nice to fix things correctly.