How To: Trigger PC Tasks Like Displaying an IP Camera

az1324

I have an IP camera at my front door. I also have the doorbell connected to an Insteon EZIO input. So it would be nice to trigger the IP camera to display in the browser when I am at the computer and the doorbell rings. I made a small app for this but it could also be done with EventGhost which would allow multiple events and lots more options.

This requires a network resource which will send a UDP packet to your PC's IP address with the text "trigger". The port is configurable. Then the PC will execute whatever action is in the Run box such as the web address of my IP camera which will open in the default browser.

This is a Windows .NET application.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lujzrz3yoay

Can't you do that with the network module? I apologize for my lack of knowledge/elaboration, but I just purchased the ISY and network module myself and am exploring it's capabilities. The reason I bought the network module was that I hoped to do the exact type of task that you just mentioned.

For some reason, I read az1324's post as a statement of fact rather than asking a question. That post pretty much nailed it all down. Using the ISY's network module, you could send that command to your app (or some other app listening on a TCP or UDP port) to get it to do something.

Nice solution.

• 1 month later...

Hello az1324,

I tried your doorbell application and it works well. I was able to send a UDP command from the ISY to my PC and open an application. This is a great start, but I have many commands I would like to send. So I tried using EventGhost. I'm able to set up EventGhost macros to open Windows Media Center and start playlists. However, I've not been able to set up a UDP command as a trigger. I've tried loading the Broadcaster plugin and the Network Event Receiver plugin and still EventGhost does not log a UDP or TCP message. If you have any suggestions on how to set this up it would be greatly appreciated as it will open up a lot of opportunities!

Below is what I've tried without success:

ISY99

- Setup URL with UDP protocol on port 8081 to the PC static IP address

- Set the timeout at 500ms

- Selected mode as URL Encoded

- In the body I wrote "ClassicRock" as this command will be to select a ClassicRock playlist in Windows Media Center

EventGhost

- Configured Broadcaster Plugin to use port 8081 and left the zone as 255.255.255.255. I'm not sure exactly what to put in the broadcaster zone. I've tried the IP address of my router, the IP address of the ISY and they don't work.

- I also tried the Network Event Receiver and set up the ISY to use TCP. I don't think this will work because EventGhost is expecting to communicate with another computer with EventGhost and the Network Event Sender plugin.

Thanks,

Trev

Archived