Replace Dimmer DIN Module with ON/OFF DIN Module

I guess I have to related questions:

1) On the ISY 994 how can I replace an Insteon Device with a replacement Insteon Device without having to re-program all the links and connections? Is this even possible?

2) If it is possible can I replace a Dimmer Module with an On/Off module or can you only replace devices if they are 100% the same?

Thanks so much!

3 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

Got to be at least same device class
Dimmer with dimmer
Relay with relay

There is a replace device function that’s fixes all links and programs.

Cool thanks. So I won't be able to use it in my case but for future reference where is this replace device function? I read that I need to move the device in the root folder of the ISY but for the life of me I can't get it moved out of the folder it's in. Is there a trick to it?

What you would need to do is install the new device, but don't change its name.

then right click on the device you want to be replaced by the new device. In the right click menu you should see "replace with", click on the newly installed device xx.xx.xx 

The new device will be renamed as the old device, and the admin console will shut down.

If you don't see the newly installed device in your "replace with options", then it's not compatible with the device you want to replace

Edited by Techman

2 hours ago, Venicenerd said:

I read that I need to move the device in the root folder of the ISY but for the life of me I can't get it moved out of the folder it's in. Is there a trick to it?

Right click on the device. There should be an option to “remove from folder” (or something along those lines).