Replaced Keypad Link using 'replace device' - lost all settings

Illusion
Go to solution Solved by Illusion,

Just replaced a Fanlinc that lost its high setting. Used the 'replace device' ISY function, and it lost all its ramp and intensity settings in scenes for the new replaced device. All scenes show "default" instead of the intensity and ramp rate.

1879948156_ScreenShot2022-11-21at2_17_04PM.thumb.png.6cb650af6ad1a842eca914c772c1d242.png

Link type also shows as 'default' instead of 'Insteon' Looks like I am going to have to manually adjust all connected scenes.

Edit: Slogging through all the scenes, and all the controllers. I came to two scenes that had the correct intensity and ramp rates. These two scenes were created after my upgrade and switch over to IoP. So all the scenes that did not get updated were from the before times.

Edit: Turns out that the two scenes that had the correct ramp rate and intensity listed did not have the link in the devices stored that way. While compare device links showed all good (identical), activating the scene did not turn the light on, but the ISY knew that it did not, even though it showed in the list that it should have:

1916686554_ScreenShot2022-11-22at9_52_14AM.thumb.png.6346fd890cf3d180db52636e602277dd.png

The screen shot above is taken after triggering the Wake Slow scene. It shows the bedroom fan-light as off even though the action shows it should have turned on slowly. I had to update the action to something other than what was set, and then change it back to get the outcome to be as expected.

Edited by Illusion

Disaster!

I just had to replace an 8 button Insteon KPL. 158 links in device. Replace went as normal and expected, but device behavior was totally off after swap out. I looked at the link tables and this is what I saw:

1971885411_ScreenShot2022-11-25at11_59_53AM.thumb.png.90b0f9095095eef5cd809a1899b37b9e.png

The ISY knows it is supposed to be a member in all associated scenes, but no links! Going to have to manually rebuild. So unfortunate as this is one of the most compelling uses of the ISY system with Insteon. I have hours of work ahead of me...

Edited by Illusion

@Illusion did you make sure you followed the steps for the process?

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:INSTEON_Device#Replace...with

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing_a_Device

Key points to remember:

• Both devices have to be the same type of device in order for the new device to be displayed in the replace menu.
  • The device being replaced must not be inside a folder

You posted this in the support thread for the last IoP firmware update. Since this hasn't been reported by others and the release happened a while back thought it should be its own post for more attention. If you've already attempted as far as it appears you have then there might not be anything that can help it.

If you had a backup from before this process started perhaps you could restore that, re-add the new keypad link then go through the steps again. 

@GeddyThanks for the new thread. I have been searching for other instances of this failure and am deeply concerned that I have not seen others with this issue. I have used the 'replace device' function 6-8 times a year for nearly a decade on the ISY 26, the ISY 99, the ISY 994I, and now IoP. I used the same steps and procedures as I have for nearly 100 times.

I am not sure how a restore can help me as I seemed to have a similar issue with two devices. But this is going to be so much work, maybe I will try playing around with that. Maybe I need to open a ticket as this has not been reported elsewhere and is kinda catastrophic for my use of the ISY. I think I will just set up critical links to that switch and see what a ticket gets me.

Edited by Illusion

Have opened a ticket.

Did advanced testing in advance of ticket response. Built two test scenes and put a spare switch in each scene, in one as a controller, in one as a responder. Verified scenes work and verified device link table. Replaced switch with another spare switch and new switch shows in the scenes, but without proper settings and link table of new device is empty. Something very wrong on my end.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 8:10 AM, Illusion said:

Have opened a ticket.

Did advanced testing in advance of ticket response. Built two test scenes and put a spare switch in each scene, in one as a controller, in one as a responder. Verified scenes work and verified device link table. Replaced switch with another spare switch and new switch shows in the scenes, but without proper settings and link table of new device is empty. Something very wrong on my end.

In the scene, click on the switch, do the proper setting then show up?

• 4 weeks later...