Nvidia Shield help - AVRemote

EJones01
Go to solution Solved by firstone,

I'm trying to get the Nvidia Shield control working (I already use AVRemote for Denon) I understand that I need to install the adb tools, but the only info I have found doesn't work. (sudo pkg install android-tools-adb) Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by EJones01

Thanks for your help, I understand its not supported. Can Windows PuTTy be used? I get this from that:

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo pkg search adb
pkg: Repository FreeBSD missing. 'pkg update' required
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/meta.conf -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/meta.txz -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/packagesite.pkg -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: Repository FreeBSD cannot be opened. 'pkg update' required

I also get this from update:

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo pkg update
Password:
Updating FreeBSD-base repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%   13 KiB  13.1kB/s    00:01
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD-base repository update completed. 147 packages processed.
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/meta.conf -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/meta.txz -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/packagesite.pkg -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
pkg: packagesite URL error for pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz -- pkg+:// implies SRV mirror type
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Updating udi repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%   27 KiB  27.3kB/s    00:01
Processing entries: 100%
udi repository update completed. 87 packages processed.
Error updating repositories!

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

On 11/29/2022 at 5:34 PM, EJones01 said:

I'm trying to get the Nvidia Shield control working (I already use AVRemote for Denon) I understand that I need to install the adb tools, but the only info I have found doesn't work. (sudo pkg install android-tools-adb) Any help would be appreciated.

I've uploaded new version into Beta store - 2.0.3. It doesn't need adb anymore. Feel free to test if you want. It can also fetch a list of installed apps from Shield so that you can use them in your programs.

• Like 2
On 1/30/2023 at 2:47 PM, firstone said:

I've uploaded new version into Beta store - 2.0.3. It doesn't need adb anymore. Feel free to test if you want. It can also fetch a list of installed apps from Shield so that you can use them in your programs.

Yep this works now! I had to accept debug mode and then I can control it. Many thanks. But what I'm looking for is to know when its playing or stopped/paused so that I can use those in a program to control the lights etc. Do you think this is possible?

13 minutes ago, EJones01 said:

Yep this works now! I had to accept debug mode and then I can control it. Many thanks. But what I'm looking for is to know when its playing or stopped/paused so that I can use those in a program to control the lights etc. Do you think this is possible?

With adb, there are no active notifications. It's poll based. You'll have to adjust short poll to whatever value you can live with. So if you're happy with 5-15 seconds delay, it's certainly doable.

Another option is - Shield can be added as google cast device. That one will probably have faster notifications but the functionality would be more limited.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

With adb, there are no active notifications. It's poll based. You'll have to adjust short poll to whatever value you can live with. So if you're happy with 5-15 seconds delay, it's certainly doable.

Another option is - Shield can be added as google cast device. That one will probably have faster notifications but the functionality would be more limited.

I just need to see the play or stop state so if the google cast device will do that.....is there any information on how to set that up? or for the Shield node I presume you would have to add the state so it can be added in a programs?

Edited by EJones01
20 minutes ago, EJones01 said:

I just need to see the play or stop state so if the google cast device will do that.....is there any information on how to set that up? or for the Shield node I presume you would have to add the state so it can be added in a program?

If you enable chrome cast support and run discovery, it should be able to find it. I can also add it natively via adb. But now for the bad news: I've tested it and the functionality is very dependent of what's playing. Your playing your won media will likely work. Hulu and discovery+ work fine. But Netflix doesn't show status in chromecast. Though I do see status in adb. There are other apps that do not show status at all.

Both, adb and chromecast need to be polled. So there's not difference there.

1 minute ago, firstone said:

If you enable chrome cast support and run discovery, it should be able to find it. I can also add it natively via adb. But now for the bad news: I've tested it and the functionality is very dependent of what's playing. Your playing your won media will likely work. Hulu and discovery+ work fine. But Netflix doesn't show status in chromecast. Though I do see status in adb. There are other apps that do not show status at all.

Both, adb and chromecast need to be polled. So there's not difference there.

If you see status in adb for Netflix(and others) I don't mind the poll times...I just need that status brought out so I can use it. Thanks for your work on this...its nodes like this that make isy!

On 1/31/2023 at 9:01 PM, EJones01 said:

If you see status in adb for Netflix(and others) I don't mind the poll times...I just need that status brought out so I can use it. Thanks for your work on this...its nodes like this that make isy!

Try 2.0.4. See if it works. You will need to reload profile. Probably the easiest way is to Get Apps command.

18 hours ago, firstone said:

Try 2.0.4. See if it works. You will need to reload profile. Probably the easiest way is to Get Apps command.

Duuude! This is amazing. Works flawlessly. With polling at 5 it responds between 0 and 5 secs so is plenty fast enough to dim or brighten the lights on play or stop. Thank you so much for this....it should be chargeable in the store as it can make automation really powerful. I'm already thinking about other stuff I can use with it :-)

Adb is not an officially published Android or Shield interface. The output of it can (and does) change with new android releases. When that happens, I might or might not be in a position to work on it right away and the fix might not even be  possible. That's the downside. On an upside, you can do things that are not otherwise possible, such as fetching installed apps names.

Similar functionality is available through (more official) chromecast interface. Chromecast does show media status for some apps. And you can technically add ability to start apps, thought that would have to be configured by hand, rather than automatic. You should look into it as a back up in case adb breaks in the future.