ZMatter Basic Scene/Associations how to use in v5.5.0

brians

6 hours ago, trevorst said:

Not sure what you are talking about as my GE switches only have a paddle on/off.

Here is a picture of Zen71 I am using here and it also only has paddle on/off..

image.jpeg.dc66fe399c0923d5fa65d4228b44986a.jpeg

The way the scenes work  is pressing the top paddle triggers scene button1 on and the bottom paddle is scene button 2 on.

-----

Upper Paddle: 

1 x tap: load on; Scene 1, attribute 00

2 x tap: Scene 1, attribute 03

3 x tap: enter inclusion (pairing) mode (only if the switch is not included to the hub); Scene 1, attribute 04

4 x tap: Scene 1, attribute 05

5 x tap: Scene 1, attribute 06

6 x tap: change LED indicator mode (see parameter 2)

held: Scene 1, attribute 01

released: Scene 1, attribute 02

Lower Paddle: 

1 x tap: load off; Scene 2, attribute 00

2 x tap: Scene 2, attribute 03

3 x tap: enter exclusion (unpairing) mode; Scene 2, attribute 04

4 x tap: Scene 2, attribute 05

5 x tap: Scene 2, attribute 06

held: Scene 2, attribute 01

released: Scene 2, attribute 02

held for 10 seconds (LED indicator starts blinking): enter the setting menu >> 5 x tap down for factory reset; 5 x tap up to change LED bulb mode (see parameter 11); 2 x tap down to enable the range test tool.

-----

I have Jasco/GE and here is extra nodes for mine in IoX... (missing the power on-off switch node because its in a different folder)  I should be able to use the same ZY 015 Scene Button 1 and 2 the same way in a scene as Zen71

image.png.ea5bf95984db63473440a0ebca62726a.png

I added the GE switch to my test scene and I also added an Insteon dimmer Master Bedroom Ceiling, and can see extra options available to control for dimming etc. I am going to test to see if I can hold the Zen71 paddle to dim up/down to control the Insteon device... I expect it to work.

image.thumb.png.220e0826dc37c0b52a1101afb3aa1b66.png

Edited by brians
1 hour ago, GJ Software Products said:

@brians I disabled control of the main switch using parameter 19 (&20).  I've got 5 discrete buttons that I can trap a button press event on and I have programs to maintain the value of a state variable on or off and turn the LEDs on and off:

Oh ya I forgot about that keeping those LEDs in sync on Zen32. But could still use programs to do that in addition to zwave basic associations, just the LEDs would take a bit to update after.

I had the issue on old ZWave 500 on Polisy prior to ZMatter that it would send a fake On signal to ISY for button 5 even though I pressed any of the four smaller buttons. A query of button 5 after would correct this and show the proper state. Just wondering if you notice this and I am hoping it is fixed now and not something internal on the switch itself but rather a bug in the old Zwave implementation.

15 minutes ago, brians said:

The way the scenes work  is pressing the top paddle triggers scene button1 on and the bottom paddle is scene button 2 on.

-----

Upper Paddle: 

3 x tap: enter inclusion (pairing) mode (only if the switch is not included to the hub); Scene 1, attribute 04

Lower Paddle: 

held for 10 seconds (LED indicator starts blinking): enter the setting menu >> 5 x tap down for factory reset; 5 x tap up to change LED bulb mode (see parameter 11); 2 x tap down to enable the range test tool.

-----

I have Jasco/GE and here is extra nodes for mine in IoX... (missing the power on-off switch node because its in a different folder)  I should be able to use the same ZY 015 Scene Button 1 and 2 the same way in a scene as Zen71

I added the GE switch to my test scene and I also added an Insteon dimmer Master Bedroom Ceiling, and can see extra options available to control for dimming etc. I am going to test to see if I can hold the Zen71 paddle to dim up/down to control the Insteon device... I expect it to work.

I probably lost track along the road of this conversation, but in above example which node is the controller and which one is the responder ?

I understand the function of Scene 1 (ON) and Scene 2 (OFF), but as I have little knowledge of scenes, one can have these both in 1 scene and when clicking up the responder goes ON and when clicking down the responder goes OFF ?

What is the function of ZY22 and ZY23 ON-OFF power switch ?

5 hours ago, asbril said:

When I have more time, I am going to delve in the new ZMatter Zwave Scene possibilities. In the meantime I have (re) added my Zooz Zen 34 switches.

Before the migration, these has Scene nodes, but now only 3 nodes :

image.png.b2158274ab4fd64a1447353a32da0d4d.png

How would I use these to control in a Scene or in a Program ?

What I had before migration, was, in a Program,  when the Up click was activated than light X went ON, and when Down click was activated than light X went OFF. No idea how to do that without Scene nodes.

I think there is issue with Zen34 and ZMatter not showing all the nodes. It is missing Scene button 1 and 2.

For now it looks like you could still use basic control node to link directly to another ZWave responder switch in a scene, which should be fine for you because you only have ZWave. This switch currently could not control Insteon devices without those scene buttons, but those are really only useful in scenes for controlling non-zwave devices from what I can tell (my opinion may change on this as I learn more).

Aside from that, you would need to use programs using control to detect the different presses like double tap, triple tap since these scene parameters are not currently usable in the controller nodes for use in scenes.... maybe it is possible they could add more nodes eg. ZY 015 Scene Button 1.doubletap, Scene Button1.tripletap etc. for use in scenes.

5 minutes ago, asbril said:

I probably lost track along the road of this conversation, but in above example which node is the controller and which one is the responder ?

I understand the function of Scene 1 (ON) and Scene 2 (OFF), but as I have little knowledge of scenes, one can have these both in 1 scene and when clicking up the responder goes ON and when clicking down the responder goes OFF ?

What is the function of ZY22 and ZY23 ON-OFF power switch ?

In the example, The ZY Scene Button 1 is the controller

Master Bedroom Ceiling is responder which is currently selected and pulldown has options what to do when that scene button is On... eg On, Off, Fast Off, Fast On etc.

To turn the Master Bedroom Ceiling responder off, I would have to add the ZY Scene Button 2 (which is the bottom paddle) and then select Master Bedroom Ceiling and select off.

But for you, since running mostly zwave, I would not bother with this and use basic association instead. This example was mainly how to control other devices like Insteon.

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, brians said:

In the example, The ZY Scene Button 1 is the controller

Master Bedroom Ceiling is responder which is currently selected and pulldown has options what to do when that scene button is On... eg On, Off, Fast Off, Fast On etc.

Thanks so much for your kind guidance.

I have 3 lights in our master bathroom :  Front, Middle, Back.

Right now I have a program whereby

• IF Front = Control or Status = ON
  • THEN Middle and Back = ON 
  • ELSE = Middle and Back = OFF

I checked and both Front and Middle have Scene nodes but Back (probably an old 300 ?) switch does not with only one node.

How would I create the Scene ? This is not a 3-way as Middle and Back do not need to control Front and in fact I don't want them to control Front if at all possible.

Edited by asbril
13 minutes ago, brians said:

I think there is issue with Zen34 and ZMatter not showing all the nodes. It is missing Scene button 1 and 2.

For now it looks like you could still use basic control node to link directly to another ZWave responder switch in a scene, which should be fine for you because you only have ZWave. This switch currently could not control Insteon devices without those scene buttons, but those are really only useful in scenes for controlling non-zwave devices from what I can tell (my opinion may change on this as I learn more).

Aside from that, you would need to use programs using control to detect the different presses like double tap, triple tap since these scene parameters are not currently usable in the controller nodes for use in scenes.... maybe it is possible they could add more nodes eg. ZY 015 Scene Button 1.doubletap, Scene Button1.tripletap etc. for use in scenes.

The surprising thing is that with Zooz on Polisy these Zen 34 had Scene nodes.

"...........you could still use basic control node to link directly to another ZWave responder.............." Both as responders and what do you use as Command ?  Should I have 2 Scenes ( ON and OFF) ?

55 minutes ago, asbril said:

The surprising thing is that with Zooz on Polisy these Zen 34 had Scene nodes.

"...........you could still use basic control node to link directly to another ZWave responder.............." Both as responders and what do you use as Command ?  Should I have 2 Scenes ( ON and OFF) ?

The old Zooz and ISY 500 didn't do basic scene associations and faked it through the controller itself, which is referred to as central scene control. It seems that old implementation either these scene nodes by default and was hard coded into the way scenes worked, or it simply looked at status of on/off of the ZWave device and internally simulated the scene (probably more likely).  ZMatter and how it handles ZWave basic associations and scene control are not as easy as just dropping any node into a scene now like it was before, instead have to pick the proper node and settings.

Also remember that the history of scenes in IoX originates, and was designed around Insteon scenes. It was with ZWave support in ISY when they were able to add a feature which integrated ZWave devices into scenes but, all traffic was through the controller. Most other controllers don't originate their concept of a scene in the same way as IoX, and instead handle everything through the controller by default. (probably because no other devices are capable of scenes the way Insteon does, and very few support Insteon anyways, so they wouldn't bother). ZWave is sorta kinda similar with its basic associations, in the fact that they can talk directly without a controller, but still not even really close in how it works compared to Insteon, however with basic association they can now be added into a scene and act closer to how Insteon works. UDI for doing this all seamlessly is pretty nice because it is my understanding that with many other hubs you have to keep track of associations yourself and use a separate association tool - but with IoX and ZMatter it is just drag and drop into the scene and it programs the devices accordingly!

Regarding your Zen34, I would continue this discussion about it in this thread and maybe UDI will take notice and fix. There are numerous devices that are missing nodes with ZMatter.

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, brians said:

-----

Upper Paddle: 

Lower Paddle: 

-----

Interesting a lot of functionality in the switch, I really don’t have much use for that amount of scene capability. I use Hue bulbs in all my entertaining areas and use that to create specific lighting schemes. It would be nice to have one extra scene capability per switch, but I just pulled out all my Insteon switches and replaced them with GE (Ultrapro dimmer switches ) at a great price. Very happy with them and they have a parameter that turns them into a pure switch for the areas I use hue.

Again thanks a lot for your help on scenes I have every switch working now. On scenes there is a 2 second delay on responders when fired by the switch and it is the same for Zwave lights or hue, programs or network resources. 

6 minutes ago, trevorst said:

Interesting a lot of functionality in the switch, I really don’t have much use for that amount of scene capability. I use Hue bulbs in all my entertaining areas and use that to create specific lighting schemes. It would be nice to have one extra scene capability per switch, but I just pulled out all my Insteon switches and replaced them with GE (Ultrapro dimmer switches ) at a great price. Very happy with them and they have a parameter that turns them into a pure switch for the areas I use hue.

Again thanks a lot for your help on scenes I have every switch working now. On scenes there is a 2 second delay on responders when fired by the switch and it is the same for Zwave lights or hue, programs or network resources. 

That 2 second delay instant status I believe is a problem with the GE/Jasco. I tried them and returned a bunch when I found out the issue. Zen71 report status back to the control about as fast as Insteon in my testing.

I personally think all those double, triple... 5 taps are useless and not sure who would use in reality - just a marketing feature.

When you mention pure switch, does that mean it turns the load on fully to 100% so the hue work correct, or just makes it a logical switch with the load on? Zen71 has a parameter which turns off the actual load control so you can use the switch without affecting the load - ie. leave light turned on always.

2 hours ago, brians said:

That 2 second delay instant status I believe is a problem with the GE/Jasco. I tried them and returned a bunch when I found out the issue. Zen71 report status back to the control about as fast as Insteon in my testing.

I personally think all those double, triple... 5 taps are useless and not sure who would use in reality - just a marketing feature.

When you mention pure switch, does that mean it turns the load on fully to 100% so the hue work correct, or just makes it a logical switch with the load on? Zen71 has a parameter which turns off the actual load control so you can use the switch without affecting the load - ie. leave light turned on always.

It turns the switch into an instant on 100% with no dimming at the switch, can still dim by programs etc.

I am sure the delay is a Jasco thing but for my requirements that is not an issue and at $24 each it allowed me to replace all my Insteon switches at the same time without feeling guilty( -:   

So what do you think of the Zen71 are they good quality and do they connect direct to wire like the Jasco? I do have one spot that could use Instant on.

Edited by trevorst
On 12/22/2022 at 7:52 PM, brians said:

Interested if anyone can test a Zen32 since I returned mine.

I have the ZEN32's I'm installing to replace my Insteon Scene Controllers. However I can only get the buttons below to "turn on" a scene by assigning that button as a control to the scene of the lights I want to control. There is no way to modify the RGB colors of the buttons, you can't turn off a scene just by assigning that button as the controller to the responders of a scene. It can only turn them on. Which leads to yet another problem of if the lights turn off by timer that I have set, the button does not default back to it's original state with the light on. So now if I press it with the light off it turns on and the light on the button is on. Which is super silly. 

Main button is actually connected to Line/Load for the main recessed light fixtures so that has no problem whatsoever on controlling the lights. What I need this to do it very basic but it don't turn that scene off or reset the button led if the scene is turned off.

What I want it to do:
1) Main button (biggest one): Odd number of 
recessed light fixtures control for kitchen (LED Blue) [IS as Button 5 if you want to add scenes to it]
2) Scene Button 2: Even number of
recessed light fixtures control for kitchen Z-Wave Single Pole Relay (LED Blue) [ID as Button 1 in UDAC]
3) Scene Button 3: Kitchen island pendent lights Z-Wave Single Pole Relay - Direct to Lights) (LED Green) [ID as Button 2 in UDAC]
4) Scene Button 4: Under cabinet lights 
Z-Wave Single Pole Relay (LED Yellow) [ID as Button 3 in UDAC]
5) Scene Button 5: Not Used as of yet. [ID as Button 4 in UDAC]

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
16 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

I have the ZEN32's I'm installing to replace my Insteon Scene Controllers. However I can only get the buttons below to "turn on" a scene by assigning that button as a control to the scene of the lights I want to control. There is no way to modify the RGB colors of the buttons, you can't turn off a scene just by assigning that button as the controller to the responders of a scene. It can only turn them on. Which leads to yet another problem of if the light turn off by timer that I have set the button does not default back to it's original state with the light on. So now if I press it with the light off it turns on and the light on the button is on. Which is super silly. 

Main button is actually connected to Line/Load for the main recessed light fixtures so that has no problem whatsoever on controlling the lights. What I need this to do it very basic but it don't turn that scene off or reset the button led if the scene is turned off.

What I want it to do:
1) Main button (biggest one): Odd number of 
recessed light fixtures control for kitchen (LED Blue) [IS as Button 5 if you want to add scenes to it]
2) Scene Button 2: Even number of
recessed light fixtures control for kitchen Z-Wave Single Pole Relay (ID as Button 1 in UDAC) 
3) Scene Button 3: Kitchen island pendent lights Z-Wave Single Pole Relay - Direct to Lights) (LED Green)
4) Scene Button 4: Under cabinet lights 
Z-Wave Single Pole Relay (LED Yellow)
5) Not Used as of yet.

TRI0N

I am not sure that this will help you, but in my case the upper button is used in a program to control a number of devices :

image.png.3b92c5f662a5ce4c8bc2962d5b0c6748.png

As you can see it the ZY065_1-Binary Switch

For the 4 below buttons I use the Scene buttons as :

image.thumb.png.48c83fd7ac6025cee3da152ce61411a5.png

Remember, these 4 lower buttons work as 1 click is ON, 2 clicks is OFF

image.thumb.png.545339272f07a235a633aad11485051b.png

Edited by asbril
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, asbril said:

Remember, these 4 lower buttons work as 1 click is ON, 2 clicks is OFF

image.thumb.png.545339272f07a235a633aad11485051b.png

Oh really? 2 for off? That's just weird for the LED properly displaying it's LED. The LED should represent being off so it can be seen at night.

I do believe there is the ability to program these LED's however not a CHANCE IN HELL via eisy obviously. So now I have to figure out a way to program the LEDS to either be on at all times or to represent their power state.

Kind of getting really, really frustrated with this upgrade. World Leader in Headaches is about right. We are now nearing $2,000 in equipment just to replace Insteon with things that don't work worth a (Steam Pile Here).

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
1 minute ago, TRI0N said:

Oh really? 2 for off? That's just weird for the LED properly displaying it's LED. The LED should represent being off so it can be seen at night.

I guess that is a matter of setting the right parameters. I suggest that you check on Zooz' web site, and once you know what parameter to use, then you can change it in the eisy Administrative console.

3 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

I do believe there is the ability to program these LED's however not a CHANCE IN HELL via eisy obviously. So now I have to figure out a way to program the LEDS to either be on at all times or to represent their power state.

As I wrote above, no program needed, just find the right parameters. As many know, I am a proponent of Zwave but having multiple manufacturers oftem implies that each uses their own parameters.

33 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Kind of getting really, really frustrated with this upgrade. World Leader in Headaches is about right. We are now nearing $2,000 in equipment just to replace Insteon with things that don't work worth a (Steam Pile Here).

TRI0N

Of course you can certainly change the led colors. I guess the zen32 is not really designed for scene control with direct associations. All the points that you bring up  like leds doing out of sync are also issue using other controllers eg. Home assistant. It’s just that the zen32 is junk. 

Please let me know if pressing any of the little buttons makes it appear that the big button is on (it doesn’t really turn on the relay just makes it appear on) - tbis was the biggest issue I had with it before on zoos zwave dongle and wondering if it’s fixed. 

It’s easy to change the button colors but should start another thread since this is about basic association. I had setuo before with on off toggles controlling lights with leds in sync even from a remote light but was that big button always appear to turn on pressing other buttons issue which made me send it back. 

Edited by brians
18 minutes ago, brians said:

Please let me know if pressing any of the little buttons makes it appear that the big button is on (it doesn’t really turn on the relay just makes it appear on) - tbis was the biggest issue I had with it before on zoos zwave dongle and wondering if it’s fixed. 

The big button is either Direct Wire which it is for the Odd Number (every other light) of Kitchen Lights I have. I Actually used that for a reason in the event of an outage with the ISY the kitchen lights can still work. Otherwise you could just hook up Line/Neutral/Ground and just leave the Load off for Scene 5 that will use the larger button. You can even apply scenes to that in conjunction to the direct wiring.  Reason why I use mostly Kasa over Z-Wave any day for single pole, 3 way, outlets, power strips, color lights (and HUE for outdoor), etc. I only use Z-Wave for 2 things. Scene Control and Hidden Relay. That's it and it's proving to be worthless with this these new UD devices. There sure isn't much Z-Wave Plus Scene Controllers on the market if this brand isn't good. One of the reason I choose this was for it's S2 ability and pretty much it was the only multi button one out there. 

TRI0N

44 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

The big button is either Direct Wire which it is for the Odd Number (every other light) of Kitchen Lights I have. I Actually used that for a reason in the event of an outage with the ISY the kitchen lights can still work. Otherwise you could just hook up Line/Neutral/Ground and just leave the Load off for Scene 5 that will use the larger button. You can even apply scenes to that in conjunction to the direct wiring.  Reason why I use mostly Kasa over Z-Wave any day for single pole, 3 way, outlets, power strips, color lights (and HUE for outdoor), etc. I only use Z-Wave for 2 things. Scene Control and Hidden Relay. That's it and it's proving to be worthless with this these new UD devices. There sure isn't much Z-Wave Plus Scene Controllers on the market if this brand isn't good. One of the reason I choose this was for it's S2 ability and pretty much it was the only multi button one out there. 

TRI0N

There seemed to be a bug before where the big button would report turned on in ISY when any of the other little buttons were pressed and it would trigger programs or scenes I had setup for big button everytime little one was pressed.. I would like to know if this is still the case with ZMatter.

Edited by brians
9 minutes ago, brians said:

I would like to know if this is still the case with ZMatter.

No and I am pretty sure that it did not happen (for me) before ZMatter.

BTW regarding @TRI0N's comment, on my ZEN 32 the sentinel lights are ON when the lights are OFF, so I may have changed the parameters when I installed the switch, though I don't remember.

1 hour ago, brians said:

There seemed to be a bug before where the big button would report turned on in ISY when any of the other little buttons were pressed and it would trigger programs or scenes I had setup for big button everytime little one was pressed.. I would like to know if this is still the case with ZMatter.

It's still messed up. UDAC doesn't report the state of the other buttons. But it only shows the Binary as on or off and the other buttons show nothing at all for their status.

If I was to guess I'd say it's just missing important status and info which would explain that the default of 1 for On and 2 for OFF isn't being written to just on/off when programed.

TRI0N

Zooz700.jpg

Button1.jpg

Button0.jpg

Edited by TRI0N
4 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

It's still messed up. UDAC doesn't report the state of the other buttons. But it only shows the Binary as on or off and the other buttons show nothing at all for their status.

TRI0N

Zooz700.jpg

Button1.jpg

Other than the large button on the top, I don't think that these are supposed to show their status in the Administrative Console. These are Scene buttons.

21 minutes ago, asbril said:

Other than the large button on the top, I don't think that these are supposed to show their status in the Administrative Console. These are Scene buttons.

Yeah it's pretty much mimicking Insteon Device status with no light configurations and such for each button. Maybe just needs more work. I have written some ideas down for some programing to eliminate the 2 for off till I have a better solution. The lights can wait. I might go with a different scene controller if one should become available. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a better selection of Z-Wave with S2 Scene Controllers. So I will test it at the house then will implement it here at the office. 

TRI0N

52 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

If I was to guess I'd say it's just missing important status and info which would explain that the default of 1 for On and 2 for OFF isn't being written to just on/off when programed.

TRI0N

Zooz700.jpg

What happens when you place one of the Basic Assoc nodes into the scene with another Z-Wave switch? Are you able to set the Z-Wave Basic MC option in pulldown? If so, does it turn on/off the switch?

With old ZWave 500 on ISY it did not do basic associations so I had a bunch of programs and variables that would keep track of state of each switch and turn on/off the devices I wanted to, and keep LEDs in sync. I am hoping with basic assoc that part is unneeded (but still need program to sync LEDs... see below)

To set colors you can do here:

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/608-zen32-scene-controller-advanced-settings/

Use parameters to turn the buttons off with press by default.

You would have to use additional programs that detect the state of the lights which each button controls, and turn the led on/off appropriately using the parameters. I have to do this with Insteon and keypadlincs (and even switchlincs) too if I control a light manually - ie. if I have a scene linked with a lamp as a responder/controller, if I turn the lamp on by itself from AC, a program, UD Mobile, Alexa etc. the keypadlinc does not light up, and I use a program that detectes this and keeps in sync. ie. parameter 2 is for button one... set to 2 always off when light is off, and set to 3 always on when light is on, parameter can choose the color.. or modify the program to make it red for off green on etc.

Edited by brians