eisy Static IP configuration

Their reasoning is probably because users set static ip incorrectly and then lock themselves out of it. Having an eisy with ability to access local with a keyboard and monitor (two hdmi in fact) would make easy to recover and doesn’t make sense that they did this. I can understand maybe on a polisy where it is difficult to access locally if one set ip to something strange. I’m actually not sure how to do this maybe is a recovery console ?

When I do network installs I often assign things like switches with static ip because during and entire power cycle they may boot up quicker than the router, and therefore not get a dhcp assigned address. Some devices on startup only try once via dhcp and then either give up or failover to a default usually on a common subnet. Then one has to manually restart certain devices after the router is rebooted. In windows domains where a windows server runs dhcp this can also happen. Also I found many NAS devices work better with static ip for using as a local backup - again during a power loss the nas usually boot up before router and often not get a dhcp and resulting in failed backups. 

Having a pro license is not the answer because I find that many users who are not really advanced users tend to purchase the pro stuff anyways thinking it is better. Like I said above, with local keyboard and monitor on eisy they could make this possible - actually make it so can only enable static this way so user already learns how to do and should remember if they ever lock themselves out or need to change ip again. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mwester said:

There are sound reasons why one might choose to NOT rely on a DHCP server to reserve IP addresses.  Especially so for critical infrastructure that needs to survive network disruptions of all sorts... and I'd put one's primary Home Automation server in that category.

Indeed it is true that for MOST users, IP addressing is so confusing that they're far better off relying on a router.  But in fact, for those who indeed "have all that experience", is quite "simple ... to understand how to make use of a DHCP server", and it is also quite reasonable for someone with "all that experience" to not wish to rely on that service.

The same is true of DNS and time server addresses, as well as the gateway address (and network netmask).  All of this needs to be made available (albeit hidden behind a "pro-only" feature, that makes some sense).

Yes, I have actually experienced system wide outages due to a single point of failure, DNS. 

On 12/30/2022 at 5:24 PM, larryllix said:

Configure all IP address control in your router where it should have always been done. ISY doesn't need a static IP address capability, in this decade.

And those of us who don't have a router (read: linux)  I run my own DNS server and firewall etc.  I really would like to be able to get at IP address and port.   

• Like 1

I have a small segment for DHCP on my network. that DHCP segment is for workstations, laptops, phones and other things that come and go. And they get reclaimed and reused after the lease. I have reserved the upper portion of my /24 network for my hardware devices, cameras, consoles, surveillance cameras and so on. They are all static. I then ensure any necessary hardware things don't change. Using DHCP and reservations works. Yes, but you're not going to have happy customers here. People will move on. This is a competitive space and my 994 has been a rock solid solution. That's why I'm still here.

I've got my eisy all mounted and ready to go but waiting because I have ~20 zwave devices including mounted Bali shades that I will need to migrate. I really don't want to take each shade down and move them over to the eisy to pair them to the new system and then set everything up again. I hear there will be a way to migrate zwave soon. I hope. If not, then maybe I stay on the isy and return my eisy, zwave/matter and cable until the bugs are worked out. I have about 50+ insteon devices and like I said about 20 zwave with 100 or so programs and variables. 

If there is a migration tool (maybe this is the backup/restore) that brings everything over including static IP, then it would be as simple as a backup, turn off the ISY, restore to eisy and test. Maybe the zwave pairing with the old board in the isy will make the zwave process not work. hopefully there is a workable solution. 

Waiting on the sidelines for now. Maybe this weekend I'll dedicate to trying to migrate this the first time.

I work in both commercial and residential settings and while I don't have my ISY (soon to be eisy) set up in the commercial space I am a BIG proponent of the KISS methodology...and DHCP is simple!  If I manage something manually then I need to remember that manual setting and my human-RAM just isn't what it used to be.

My DHCP server will reserve a lease to a MAC for as long as I'm connecting.  I haven't tested when it might release the address, but the persistent devices stick around so it is not a problem.  I'm sure I could check the lease TTL in the DHCP server (I'm running a PiHole), but fortunately I don't have to.

I'm sure I can see some commercial situations where a static IP would be helpful/necessary....but I'd rather spend my time figuring out why DHCP wouldn't work and fixing that.  

DHCP means one less thing to figure out when things go haywire down the road and makes things more resilient to changes outside the eisy/ISY scope.  Especially in a commercial configuration where sub-nets beyond the simple 192.168.1 space exist (which, I understand, may be why you need static IP...I get it).

I'm not saying they shouldn't allow static IP support, but I completely understand why it is disabled by default as an accidental change by someone that doesn't completely understand that level of networking would result in a lot of unnecessary support call noise.  I get that too.

Edited by x046866x
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, EddieRock said:

Keeping DHCP as default is fine. Taking away the ability to configure static isn't.

Understood. Just suggesting that ones time may be better spent supporting the product (any product really) in it's most natural and simplest form.  It'll be less to figure out later.

That being said; I agree that it should be made available in some capacity as there will always be cases where it is needed.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2022 at 10:19 PM, thewebgeek said:

I was able to SSH in and fix the IP address, but I'm still on 5.4.5.  What are the plans on fixing the GUI for this?

@thewebgeek fixed set a static IP Address via SSH however @GJ Software Products reported that Michel said they disabled it on the GUI due to technical difficulties. @thewebgeek after you set the static IP address did you experience any technical issues with the device? Maybe it was a GUI issue only that Michel is referring to?

3 hours ago, gldixon said:

@thewebgeek fixed set a static IP Address via SSH however @GJ Software Products reported that Michel said they disabled it on the GUI due to technical difficulties. @thewebgeek after you set the static IP address did you experience any technical issues with the device? Maybe it was a GUI issue only that Michel is referring to?

They disabled it due to people messing up their systems with static ip's because they didn't know what they were doing not because it caused an issue. Changing the ports can cause system issues however. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:35 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

They disabled it due to people messing up their systems with static ip's because they didn't know what they were doing not because it caused an issue. Changing the ports can cause system issues however. 

Thanks @lilyoyo1. Michel also mentioned this in another conversation I had with him and similar to several others on this thread stated it can be changed without issue but he doesn't recommend it.