Suggestions for a fresh start

bradshawkyle

Nobody mentions HomeKit connectivity with was one of the requests.

I guess you can use Homebridge, or Home Assistant with ISY integration but then may consider going exclusively HA then but it is a big learning curve. I wish UDI would support HK officially, or even unofficially using Homebridge which could run on the EISY easily, since I believe that HK is a pretty huge potential market. HA is a bit overkill if just want to make work with HK but it's still there I guess if Homebridge ever stops working. I am curious though that with Matter support it will allow Insteon devices to work with Homebridge... guess we will find out.

However, I find myself using UD Mobile more often now that I recently figured out how to configure the favourites etc. and I find it quicker than opening the Apple Home App most of the time. I am not really big on voice commands and using Siri on my iPhone anyways. When I am home I can just use Alexa (which I have in many rooms) to turn lights on and off so see no real need for Siri and HomeKit for that reason.

Nothing in the DIY market is as good for lighting as Insteon is. I am not talking about just the technology, but also the ergonomics and design too. If I were go move into a new house and setup a new system, it would be a difficult decision knowing how good Insteon is to move to something else like ZWave (or even Matter which I doubt will work much different in real world than ZWave) but weigh this against the uncertainty still of Insteon. It is actually really sad, since 2005 when I got my first Insteon devices, that still today nothing really compares in this market today! I guess though that if one managed to purchase enough Insteon switches and PLM for a new house and got an EISY, would be set for a long time (get a few spares and extra PLM)... even if Insteon went away again in a few years. The Insteon today is much more reliable and better than the early power line only stuff... and I have replaced majority of mine over the years due to failures and reliability issues.. once I went to mostly dual band all my problems went away. I currently have about half dozen spare dual band switches and a couple USB PLMs for backup.

Edited by brians
9 hours ago, brians said:

I guess though that if one managed to purchase enough Insteon switches and PLM for a new house and got an EISY, would be set for a long time (get a few spares and extra PLM)... even if Insteon went away again in a few years.

Yup....that's me.  I followed the majority of advice on this thread (and my own personal bias towards what I know) and set up a starter system with my backup PLM (from the old house) and some switches I snagged used from OfferUp.  Last week, my first "new Insteon" order arrived - a 6 button keypad and the 50 button set - and just like that we're up and running.  To be honest, my biggest problem right now stems from my own ignorance: Scenes and dimmer default values (ramp rates, on level etc.) seem to work differently than my old 994Pro.  I can't program any ramp scene or default rates - the devices won't retain them.  I found an article saying you have to airgap a dimmer after setting default values, but either I'm doing it wrong or it's not working, either.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, bradshawkyle said:

Yup....that's me.  I followed the majority of advice on this thread (and my own personal bias towards what I know) and set up a starter system with my backup PLM (from the old house) and some switches I snagged used from OfferUp.  Last week, my first "new Insteon" order arrived - a 6 button keypad and the 50 button set - and just like that we're up and running.  To be honest, my biggest problem right now stems from my own ignorance: Scenes and dimmer default values (ramp rates, on level etc.) seem to work differently than my old 994Pro.  I can't program any ramp scene or default rates - the devices won't retain them.  I found an article saying you have to airgap a dimmer after setting default values, but either I'm doing it wrong or it's not working, either.

Everything should be done within the EISY. You have to click the ramp rate button after you set it in order for it to take effect. 

6 minutes ago, bradshawkyle said:

Are you using EISY or Polisy?

I have a Polisy and found that adding a couple new Lamplinc Dimmer modules that it seemed I had to select the default on and ramp rate a second time - the first time I set it didn't seem to set it. I could have been confused, but when I added second one the same thing happened. Again, maybe I didn't save it correctly, but I made a mental note on it. Maybe just try the setting again, otherwise do reset of the device and re-add.

@briansI'm running eISY, here are the steps that aren't working:

1) Set ramp date to 2.0 seconds, click "Write Changes" image.png.993450a4fc6b3371722ebbd97205fd14.png

2)  Move away from device, return and ramp is back at 0.5.

image.png.40ef4553f990a59bbf490caef92039e3.png

Wash, rinse repeat every conceivable combination of Write Changes, Query, airgap switch etc. and I can't seem to set a default ramp rate for single device. What on earth am I missing?  The only think I haven't tried is removing and re-adding, which I didn't both trying because the new devices behave the same as used ones.

22 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You have to click the ramp rate button after you set it in order for it to take effect. 

Wait.....there's a Ramp Rate BUTTON?!  Son of a biscuit....

I tend to have a "short bus" moment every month or so....apparently you fine folks got to witness mine for January. 😂

Thank you......

Edited by bradshawkyle
36 minutes ago, bradshawkyle said:

Yep - completely counter-intuitive. :-( 

I know none of *US* purchased the ISY due to it's UI -- but this is one of those unforced errors that reflects poorly.  As trivial as it may be, it's one of those things that's kinda like buying a porsche except everyone knows the door handle falls off if you turn it to the left instead to the right.

1 hour ago, bradshawkyle said:

I tend to have a "short bus" moment every month or so....apparently you fine folks got to witness mine for January. 😂

Thank you......

You're welcome. They made that change at some point in the 5.xx branch. Cant remember which version.