The saga of a SI moving Insteon from 5.3.4 to 5.5.2 and keeping Z-Wave on 5.3.4 until you get your USB-Matter.

So, my first real Oh S moment in my move 994i to eisy.  Having moved the PLM to my eisy and issuing File/Delete Modem (PLM) the 994i starts in safe mode and I can’t see any nodes or programs nor are my programs running.  .  I discovered this when some of my notifications stopped.  Oh O!  I was still planning on manually copying my z-wave network and programs to get rid of any old artifacts over the years from tweaks & mods.  Fortunately, I have a spare PLM.  So, I hooked that back up to the 994i and I can now see all my z-wave devices and my programs.  Now, whether the PLM on the 994 is plugged in or not, the eisy can no longer communicate to the one Insteon device.  So, I re-boot the eisy while the PLM on the 994 is still unplugged from the wall outlet.  Nope, still can’t talk to the Insteon device.  The PLM shows connected on the eisy  So, I File/Restore the PLM on the eisy.  Nope, no good.  Well, it looks like my programs on the 994 are now running with the PLM unplugged from the wall so let’s see if I can see anything in the 994.  Yah!  I can.  And now I can see the programs referencing the removed Insteon nodes so I can clean those up.  “Not Loaded” – “Out of Memory”.  Interesting error message for a device no longer there.  So after cleaning up the programs the backup seems to run a little faster.  It looks to be all my critical stuff still on the 994 is working.  Now, what to do about this one Insteon night light on the eisy that it can’t see.

If I recall correctly there is a power connection on the RJ-45 between the 994 and the PLM.  Maybe that is why even with the PLM unplugged it’s getting powered by the 994 and that’s why the 994 still behaves even with the PLM unplugged from the wall outlet? 

Anyways I drop the connection to the 994 and connect back to the eisy.  Nope, still can’t see the Insteon light bulb.  Query clears the red bang(!) but if you command it, it fails again and the bang comes back.  So, let’s remove and re-add it and see if it comes back.  Remove from scene then query hangs on writing.  Still can’t communicate.  Deleted device.  Initiate Linking on the eisy.  Cycle power to the lamp & wah-lah, eisy finds it.  Eisy adds and writes to the new device, all looks good so far.  Yah, manual on and off now work.  I’ll add it back to the Nightlights scene and see if it follows the scene.  Ok, the lamp controlled through the scene, controlled by a program is working.  Now my Insteon night light device on eisy is back to where it was this morning when it went off at sunrise.  I wonder what my 994 looks like?  Backup eisy, disconnect, and connect to 994. 

Progress!  All my Z-Wave nodes and my Programs are now seen in the AC when connected to the 994.  All the programs I tested appear to be running to be running.

What a PITA that was.  But it all looks to be running.  I feel like I just wrote a 3-stage 1500-ton chiller plant program.  Actually, that’s even easier these days as I have all that stuff templated. 

I’ll add to this thread if anything freaks out.

The Moral of the Story:  Yes, you can move your Insteon devices to IoX 5.5.2 and leave Z-Wave running on your 994i while waiting to receive your USB-Matter but you’ll need two(2) PLMs.  Fasten your seat belt!

-Grant

1 hour ago, GJ Software Products said:

So, my first real Oh S moment in my move 994i to eisy.  Having moved the PLM to my eisy and issuing File/Delete Modem (PLM) the 994i starts in safe mode and I can’t see any nodes or programs nor are my programs running.  .  I discovered this when some of my notifications stopped.  Oh O!  I was still planning on manually copying my z-wave network and programs to get rid of any old artifacts over the years from tweaks & mods.  Fortunately, I have a spare PLM.  So, I hooked that back up to the 994i and I can now see all my z-wave devices and my programs.  Now, whether the PLM on the 994 is plugged in or not, the eisy can no longer communicate to the one Insteon device.  So, I re-boot the eisy while the PLM on the 994 is still unplugged from the wall outlet.  Nope, still can’t talk to the Insteon device.  The PLM shows connected on the eisy  So, I File/Restore the PLM on the eisy.  Nope, no good.  Well, it looks like my programs on the 994 are now running with the PLM unplugged from the wall so let’s see if I can see anything in the 994.  Yah!  I can.  And now I can see the programs referencing the removed Insteon nodes so I can clean those up.  “Not Loaded” – “Out of Memory”.  Interesting error message for a device no longer there.  So after cleaning up the programs the backup seems to run a little faster.  It looks to be all my critical stuff still on the 994 is working.  Now, what to do about this one Insteon night light on the eisy that it can’t see.

If I recall correctly there is a power connection on the RJ-45 between the 994 and the PLM.  Maybe that is why even with the PLM unplugged it’s getting powered by the 994 and that’s why the 994 still behaves even with the PLM unplugged from the wall outlet? 

Anyways I drop the connection to the 994 and connect back to the eisy.  Nope, still can’t see the Insteon light bulb.  Query clears the red bang(!) but if you command it, it fails again and the bang comes back.  So, let’s remove and re-add it and see if it comes back.  Remove from scene then query hangs on writing.  Still can’t communicate.  Deleted device.  Initiate Linking on the eisy.  Cycle power to the lamp & wah-lah, eisy finds it.  Eisy adds and writes to the new device, all looks good so far.  Yah, manual on and off now work.  I’ll add it back to the Nightlights scene and see if it follows the scene.  Ok, the lamp controlled through the scene, controlled by a program is working.  Now my Insteon night light device on eisy is back to where it was this morning when it went off at sunrise.  I wonder what my 994 looks like?  Backup eisy, disconnect, and connect to 994. 

Progress!  All my Z-Wave nodes and my Programs are now seen in the AC when connected to the 994.  All the programs I tested appear to be running to be running.

What a PITA that was.  But it all looks to be running.  I feel like I just wrote a 3-stage 1500-ton chiller plant program.  Actually, that’s even easier these days as I have all that stuff templated. 

I’ll add to this thread if anything freaks out.

The Moral of the Story:  Yes, you can move your Insteon devices to IoX 5.5.2 and leave Z-Wave running on your 994i while waiting to receive your USB-Matter but you’ll need two(2) PLMs.  Fasten your seat belt!

-Grant

The isy doesn't receive power from the plm unless you're using the 2412s.

Looks like you didn't follow proper procedures early on which made it such a mess. Because you issued the plm disconnect, you erased the plm links from the bulb as well which contributed to your issues. 

You just needed to update your isy with the zwave only firmware prior to disconnecting your plm. Had that been done, your issues would've been avoided. 

@lilyoyo1  Yea, these are both 2413S(s) and the 994 is on it's own power supply, but without a PLM on the 994 it boots into safe mode and none of the Z-Wave devices show up and when you choose the Programs tab it starts to load then blows up.  The plm was not even connected to the 994 when I issued the File/Delete Modem (PLM) on the 994, it was already working on the eisy.  It wasn't until I hooked up my 2nd PLM to the 994 that the eisy quit working.  I never did a thing with the plm on the eisy, just removed the node that worked before I had 2 plms online and re-discovered it which worked like it should as long as the plm on the 994 wasn't plugged into the wall outlet.  The working link table on the eisy never got cleared until it failed after running for at least 24-48 hours after I brought a 2nd plm onto the airwaves.

The plm talking to the lamp was factory reset before connecting to the eisy and then the bulb was connected and worked fine.  It didn't die until I connected the 2nd plm to the 994 to stop it from booting in safe mode.

I wouldn't think the 2nd plm would have touched the links in the 1st plm, they were both on separate isy's, but it definitely was corrupted somehow.  I just don't understand how bring the 2nd online, on another isy, jacked up the 1st one on a totally separate isy.  

The 994 already has/had Z-Wave 500 on it, just getting it out of safe mode all the Z-Wave devices then showed up.  I don't understand what the zwave firmware would have to do with the insteon bulb falling on the eisy.  I didn't restore anything to the eisy as I don't have the USB-Matter yet.  Maybe the 2nd plm jacked up a link table in the bulb?  Does the bulb maintain an associated  plm address in it that maybe got overwritten when I brought #2 up and that's why I had to "hard" re-link it again?

Edited by GJ Software Products
1 minute ago, GJ Software Products said:

@lilyoyo1  Yea, these are both 2413S(s) and the 994 is on it's own power supply, but without a PLM on the 994 it boots into safe mode and none of the Z-Wave devices show up and when you choose the Programs tab it starts to load then blows up.  The plm was not even connected to the 994 when I issued the File/Delete Modem (PLM) on the 994, it was already working on the eisy.  It wasn't until I hooked up my 2nd PLM to the 994 that the eisy quit working.  I never did a thing with the plm on the eisy, just removed the node that worked before I had 2 plms online and re-discovered it which worked like it should as long as the plm on the 994 wasn't plugged into the wall outlet.  The working link table on the eisy never got cleared until it failed after running for at least 24-48 hours after I brought a 2nd plm onto the airwaves.

The plm talking to the lamp was factory reset before connecting to the eisy and then the bulb was connected and worked fine.  It didn't die until I connected the 2nd plm to the 994 to stop it from booting in safe mode.

I wouldn't think the 2nd plm would have toughed the links in the 1st plm, they were both on separate isy's, but it definitely was corrupted somehow.  I just don't understand how bring the 2nd online, on another isy, jacked up the 1st one on a totally separate isy.  

The 994 already has/had Z-Wave 500 on it, just getting it out of safe mode all the Z-Wave devices then showed up.  I don't understand what the zwave firmware would have to do with the insteon bulb falling on the eisy.  I didn't restore anything to the eisy as I don't have the USB-Matter yet.  Maybe the 2nd plm jacked up a link table in the bulb?  Does the bulb maintain an associated  plm address in it that maybe got overwritten when I brought #2 up and that's why I had to "hard" re-link it again?

When using the insteon firmware version, the isy will boot into safe mode as that's what it is supposed to do. The zwave only version does not do that. That's why I said had that been done prior to doimg anything, it wouldn't have happened. It's too late for you but for someone that comes across this post, it may help. 

You added additional information in your second post that wasn't in the first but your isy shouldn't have had anything to do with eisy not adding your bulb. Yes, all insteon device addresses are stored within the device themselves. Factory resetting the bulb and plm would erase links on both. 

@lilyoyo1Ahh...  That makes sense.  I haven't changed the FW on the 994, it's still the version from when I had Z-Wave & Insteon devices on it.  So I guess if I change it I can disconnect the PLM?  I guess that's available on the Current Version page.  I guess I could still replace the Insteon FW with the Z-Wave only on the 994.  I never had a problem adding the bulb, first time via the address & 2nd by discovery or create links or whatever it is called.  I reset the 1st plm before I plugged it into the eisy and added the bulb by address.  I'm wondering that since I did the remove modem after I disconnected the plm #1 there were still links in the 994 that when I plugged the 2nd plm into it, it overwrote the settings in the lamp...

Thanks a bunch for all your time & help.  I really appreciate it.     -Grant

1 hour ago, GJ Software Products said:

@lilyoyo1Ahh...  That makes sense.  I haven't changed the FW on the 994, it's still the version from when I had Z-Wave & Insteon devices on it.  So I guess if I change it I can disconnect the PLM?  I guess that's available on the Current Version page.  I guess I could still replace the Insteon FW with the Z-Wave only on the 994.  I never had a problem adding the bulb, first time via the address & 2nd by discovery or create links or whatever it is called.  I reset the 1st plm before I plugged it into the eisy and added the bulb by address.  I'm wondering that since I did the remove modem after I disconnected the plm #1 there were still links in the 994 that when I plugged the 2nd plm into it, it overwrote the settings in the lamp...

Thanks a bunch for all your time & help.  I really appreciate it.     -Grant

It could've. I factory reset everything by default so I can't say from experience what you'd experience. It's not too late to update your software. Just leave the plm until that's done. Once finished you'll be ok to remove.