Can I run two PLMs in the same house?

PatPend

I have a ISY994i + 2413S and I use Home Assistant as a front end.  I also have an Insteon 2448A7 USB stick PLM unused in the box.  I'd like to experiment using the 2448A7 with Home Assistant.  Will it cause problems having 2 PLMs in the same house?  Can an Insteon device be paired to two PLMs?  Or alternatively, do I run the risk of blowing something up if I remove some device(s) from the ISY/2413S and add them to Home Assistant/2448A7? In effect, creating two coexistent Insteon networks.  Thoughts?

You can run them just fine, but the amount of manual programming is pretty extreme if you want them to share devices. To my knowledge the only way to do this programmatically was using an Insteon TouchLinc when using the HouseLinc software, which would manage multiple controllers as one unified system.  UDI could theoretically add a feature to IoX to manage the link table on a 2448A7 as a secondary controller, and it probably wouldn't even be that much work, but they've never indicated a wish to do so, and have indicated the future for UDI is not Insteon.

For independent devices where each controller has independent client devices, they see each other's traffic and do collision avoidance, so it works 100% fine.

3 hours ago, atmarosi said:

Insteon devices (non-PLM modems) can only respond to one PLM address.  So they will only work with the modem they are told about (linked to). 

Insteon devices actually support a few hundred endpoints as controllers, with the precise number varying somewhat and available in the spec sheet.  A PLM is no different from any other device it pairs to in this regard, it just has a relatively large link database table.

Edited by jec6613