EISY UD Mobile will not connect via WiFi

ISY4Me

I set up the EISY using ethernet and all the normal connectivity is fine.

Today, I started WiFI config on UD Mobile.  My Local WIFI network is set in UD Mobile - Settings - Local Network Connections - Systems Network Relations.  Use ONLY Local Connection is OFF.   In that Settings menu when I tell it to Test System on Local Network it fails if I am on WiFI and passes if I am on Ethernet. Portal configurations are not yet set up.

I have my WiFi configured with MACID Local Access Control on an Apple Time Capsule 2Tb unit... currently running on 2.4 GHz.   I have entered the UUID of the EISY box in the MACID list, but usually the WiFi MACID is different from ethernet.  I tried with Access Control disabled and I get the same setup fail, so I suspect that on it's own is not the main issue.

When I perform the UD Mobile WiFi setup I get through all the questions.  It sees my WiFi as set in the Settings and I enter the passphrase for the WiFi access and it asks permission to join.  At that point the progress bar just about finishes and it just hangs and nothing happens.

Suggestions?

Hi @ISY4Me,

Possibly 2 issues. 

The first is the local connection settings currently only allow one IP Address. The app will automatically populate the Local IP address the first time the system is setup, in your case ethernet. However because this is a manual override setting the app will not overwrite the local IP Address on a subsequent setup.  So when the connection is changed to WiFi the IP Address is incorrect and will need to be updated manually by pressing the search icon next to the local IP Address.  This should find the new IP Automatically if the app knows the UUID, if the app does not know the UUID you will have to select the system from the selection dialog.

The second issue is the WiFi setup screen not finishing/closing?  I assume the WiFi setup was successful based on your other comments, is this assumption correct?.  Is this iOS or Android?  Did you start WiFi setup by adding a new System or from Settings > WiFi configuration?

4 minutes ago, Javi said:

Hi @ISY4Me,

Possibly 2 issues. 

The first is the local connection settings currently only allow one IP Address. The app will automatically populate the Local IP address the first time the system is setup, in your case ethernet. However because this is a manual override setting the app will not overwrite the local IP Address on a subsequent setup.  So when the connection is changed to WiFi the IP Address is incorrect and will need to be updated manually by pressing the search icon next to the local IP Address.  This should find the new IP Automatically if the app knows the UUID, if the app does not know the UUID you will have to select the system from the selection dialog.

The second issue is the WiFi setup screen not finishing/closing?  I assume the WiFi setup was successful based on your other comments, is this assumption correct?.  Is this iOS or Android?  Did you start WiFi setup by adding a new System or from Settings > WiFi configuration?

I will have to test out your comments on the IP tomorrow.

However, no the WiFi setup never successfully completed... all of this being done on iOS.  The initial setup was manual with ethernet.  As far as the WiFi, yes I started that from the Settings > WiFi configuration.  I have taken the EISY off-line for the day and put the Polisy back in control, but I will try again tomorrow and add some screen shots.

Ok thanks.  Also please be sure the system is on the latest firmware.  Press the power button once and wait 30 minutes, during this time the system may be partially accessible but this does not indicate firmware update is complete.  After 30 minutes if system cannot be found by App/IoX Finder press the power button 5 times to reboot.  We hope to automate this from within the app in a future update.

@Javi

Just installed the latest UD Mobile update on Android 13. I now get "Starting Subscription" error when I try to connect to ISY, Polisy, and eisy. 

UPDATE:

I'm now getting "unexpected close, failed to connect". and "connection refused"

All was working prior to the update

Edited by Techman
3 hours ago, Javi said:

Hi @ISY4Me,

Possibly 2 issues. 

@Javi After issues trying again to migrate this afternoon, I decided to factory reset everything.  With the EISY in factory reset mode I can run Polisy and EISY at the same time as EISY is only in factory reset state right now and not running a z-wave controller.

I saw what you meant by the "pressing the search icon" next to the local IP.  That worked to allow local test to pass, but when I tested it later with the search it would not find the IP... with ethernet cable plugged in on EISY.  I rebooted the box and then I had IoX with EISY.local:8080 and my IP 192.168.27.78:8080 show with search... had not seen EISY.local before and in the next second I hit the search again and EISY.local:8080 did not show.  So I left it as the IP:8080.

When I run the Settings > WiFi Configuration I finally had it get to the "WiFi Credentials have been uploaded" screen, but the process never completes and always errors out with "could not find System on Network" which is odd as I can load the Launcher and AC.

Attached file show the WiFi Configuration responses, in addition to an error that came up when I clicked on the "Reenter WiFi Credentials" button... see the pics.

Also for what it is worth, I do run a hidden WiFi network, but I tried it both ways.

Setting up WiFI on EISY.png

14 hours ago, Techman said:

@Javi

Just installed the latest UD Mobile update on Android 13. I now get "Starting Subscription" error when I try to connect to ISY, Polisy, and eisy. 

UPDATE:

I'm now getting "unexpected close, failed to connect". and "connection refused"

All was working prior to the update

Nothing changed regarding subscriptions in the last few updates.  From the description it sounds like a network issue. Is this on WiFi or Cell network?  

17 hours ago, ISY4Me said:

@Javi After issues trying again to migrate this afternoon, I decided to factory reset everything.  With the EISY in factory reset mode I can run Polisy and EISY at the same time as EISY is only in factory reset state right now and not running a z-wave controller.

I saw what you meant by the "pressing the search icon" next to the local IP.  That worked to allow local test to pass, but when I tested it later with the search it would not find the IP... with ethernet cable plugged in on EISY.  I rebooted the box and then I had IoX with EISY.local:8080 and my IP 192.168.27.78:8080 show with search... had not seen EISY.local before and in the next second I hit the search again and EISY.local:8080 did not show.  So I left it as the IP:8080.

When I run the Settings > WiFi Configuration I finally had it get to the "WiFi Credentials have been uploaded" screen, but the process never completes and always errors out with "could not find System on Network" which is odd as I can load the Launcher and AC.

Attached file show the WiFi Configuration responses, in addition to an error that came up when I clicked on the "Reenter WiFi Credentials" button... see the pics.

Also for what it is worth, I do run a hidden WiFi network, but I tried it both ways.

Setting up WiFI on EISY.png

@Javii added some feedback in the link above.   Just curious if you have suggestions.  Still can’t get the setup to finish. 

2 hours ago, Techman said:

It's on Wi-Fi.  It's working this morning. I'm not sure what the problem was. I didn't change anything on this end.

Thanks.  Do you have the app setup for Local Connections?  If you do and the issue is encountered again please disconnect the mobile device from WiFi to see it is replicated on Portal. If replicated on portal I can do a remote session, assuming I catch in time, to try to find the issue.   Usually if the app is "stuck" on Starting Subscription it is not actually stuck but trying to connect to the system and waiting to timeout. On timeout you may get your other errors.  This usually indicates a route to the system does not exist on the current network or the network is extremely slow.

21 hours ago, ISY4Me said:

Depending on your mobile device, home router, and network connection method (Wifi/ethernet) eisy may support eisy.local as the url.  The app's finder will try to locate and test this URL and show it in finder if it is found.  With that said the app's finder will only show the first address it matches to a UUID so it will only show the numerical address or eisy.local whichever is found first.

Thank you for the detailed screenshots. Based on your screenshots it appears the app connected to eisy in AP mode and uploaded the credentials you provided.  It then the app failed to find the system on your network using the Finder in the background. Please help me find the issue if you have time.

What is the last 2 digits of the mac address on the bottom of the system?

What is the firmware version of the system? If less than 5.5.3 pleas upgrade and try again. Note that the upgrade may take upto 30 minutes, during this time your system may be partially accessible but this does not indicate the upgrade is complete. I hope to have this automated and show update status in the future. 

Try WiFi onboarding again, If the issue persists please go back out of onboarding and go to to the System's Local Connection settings and press the search icon.  Is eisy found on Wifi? If so what is the last 2 digits of the UUID and IP Address which is populated?  Is http://<IpAddress>:8080/desc with <IpAddress> replaced with the IP Address in finder accessible from a browser?

Sorry for so many steps. we had bugs in some previous firmware versions which should now be corrected so I need to verify this is true.

in addition to an error that came up when I clicked on the "Reenter WiFi Credentials" button... see the pics.

Fixed the "Could not match section error in the next release for Android and iOS, missing click event listener.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Javi said:

Depending on your mobile device, home router, and network connection method (Wifi/ethernet) eisy may support eisy.local as the url.  The app's finder will try to locate and test this URL and show it in finder if it is found.  With that said the app's finder will only show the first address it matches to a UUID so it will only show the numerical address or eisy.local whichever is found first.

• Thank you for the detailed screenshots. Based on your screenshots it appears the app connected to eisy in AP mode and uploaded the credentials you provided.  It then the app failed to find the system on your network using the Finder in the background. Please help me find the issue if you have time.

What is the last 2 digits of the mac address on the bottom of the system?

What is the firmware version of the system? If less than 5.5.3 pleas upgrade and try again. Note that the upgrade may take upto 30 minutes, during this time your system may be partially accessible but this does not indicate the upgrade is complete. I hope to have this automated and show update status in the future. 

Try WiFi onboarding again, If the issue persists please go back out of onboarding and go to to the System's Local Connection settings and press the search icon.  Is eisy found on Wifi? If so what is the last 2 digits of the UUID and IP Address which is populated?  Is http://<IpAddress>:8080/desc with <IpAddress> replaced with the IP Address in finder accessible from a browser?

Sorry for so many steps. we had bugs in some previous firmware versions which should now be corrected so I need to verify this is true.

Fixed the "Could not match section error in the next release for Android and iOS, missing click event listener.

@Javi First, let me answer your questions.

1. The last two digits of the MACID is "9b"
  2. My firmware is 5.5.3, but I had some issues this afternoon, I just updated again to assure that all is OK... I waited 25+ minutes.  Being able to see the update status in the future will be good, as we never know if it is still updating and I fear I may have made that mistake in the past.
  3. WiFi Onboarding... The process failed as before.  While I had some success earlier, the System > Local Connection > Finder is not finding the EISY.  It finds the Polisy very quickly... I tried numerous times, with and without the ethernet cable plugged in.  
  4. Relative to your question "Is EISY found on WiFi?" I am not sure just how to answer that question... if I go to my WiFi portable and unplug the EISY from the ethernet, the Launcher does not see the EISY.  I have a tool called "Angry IP Scanner" and I searched all WiFi IPs and didn't see anything that looked like it didn't belong.

Now, later this afternoon and trying anything I could think of and I thought I should start over.  So I deleted the UD Mobile iOS app, hard re-booted the iPhone, reloaded the UD Mobile and tried setting up WiFi Configuration just using the UD Mobile app.   It wanted a Portal connection and I could never establish one to the EISY.  In looking at the Portal Website it said the EISY was connected in the past, but was not connected now and I saw the same thing in the EISY AC > Configuration > Portal.  Again, I had to end up setting it up manually to have some UD Mobile functionality.  Did the loss of Portal connectivity happen because I deleted the app... can't imagine why... the Polisy still connects fine to the portal in the AC or in the UD Mobile (Local or Portal).  I have submitted a ticket on loss of EISY Portal connectivity.

The other odd thing I noticed at the beginning of the day was that the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal strength on the iPhone was showing only one bar and I was 4' from the router.  I have two bridged wifi routers for coverage in the house, so I suspect it was trying to connect to the one further away, but odd that the 2.4 GHz signal was so bad.  So I switched the iPhone to 5 GHz and the router wifi signal went to max... sadly, it didn't seem to impact this problem.

UD Mobile connection on WiFi will make including/excluding easier, so that is why I started this.  I hope we can resolve these issues.

• Update, later in the evening.  In working with the EISY issue on why it would not connect to the Portal, I could not find a reason.  Since the I did essentially nothing with the OS, I decided to factory reset the EISY again and the Portal connectivity issue went away. Perhaps the problem was impacting the WiFi onboarding.  I will try again tomorrow.
Edited by ISY4Me

I can't get WiFi setup to work, either (and I am an engineer at a company that makes networking equipment) - there should be a method to enter WiFi setup when connected via wired ethernet

UPDATE: OK, I finally got it to work, but I'm not sure exactly how - I first used wired ethernet to update the eISY, then a factory reset, followed by multiple attempts with the UD mobile app then finally it worked

Edited by JTsao
18 hours ago, ISY4Me said:

@Javi First, let me answer your questions.

1. The last two digits of the MACID is "9b"
  2. My firmware is 5.5.3, but I had some issues this afternoon, I just updated again to assure that all is OK... I waited 25+ minutes.  Being able to see the update status in the future will be good, as we never know if it is still updating and I fear I may have made that mistake in the past.
  3. WiFi Onboarding... The process failed as before.  While I had some success earlier, the System > Local Connection > Finder is not finding the EISY.  It finds the Polisy very quickly... I tried numerous times, with and without the ethernet cable plugged in.  
  4. Relative to your question "Is EISY found on WiFi?" I am not sure just how to answer that question... if I go to my WiFi portable and unplug the EISY from the ethernet, the Launcher does not see the EISY.  I have a tool called "Angry IP Scanner" and I searched all WiFi IPs and didn't see anything that looked like it didn't belong.

Now, later this afternoon and trying anything I could think of and I thought I should start over.  So I deleted the UD Mobile iOS app, hard re-booted the iPhone, reloaded the UD Mobile and tried setting up WiFi Configuration just using the UD Mobile app.   It wanted a Portal connection and I could never establish one to the EISY.  In looking at the Portal Website it said the EISY was connected in the past, but was not connected now and I saw the same thing in the EISY AC > Configuration > Portal.  Again, I had to end up setting it up manually to have some UD Mobile functionality.  Did the loss of Portal connectivity happen because I deleted the app... can't imagine why... the Polisy still connects fine to the portal in the AC or in the UD Mobile (Local or Portal).  I have submitted a ticket on loss of EISY Portal connectivity.

The other odd thing I noticed at the beginning of the day was that the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal strength on the iPhone was showing only one bar and I was 4' from the router.  I have two bridged wifi routers for coverage in the house, so I suspect it was trying to connect to the one further away, but odd that the 2.4 GHz signal was so bad.  So I switched the iPhone to 5 GHz and the router wifi signal went to max... sadly, it didn't seem to impact this problem.

UD Mobile connection on WiFi will make including/excluding easier, so that is why I started this.  I hope we can resolve these issues.

• Update, later in the evening.  In working with the EISY issue on why it would not connect to the Portal, I could not find a reason.  Since the I did essentially nothing with the OS, I decided to factory reset the EISY again and the Portal connectivity issue went away. Perhaps the problem was impacting the WiFi onboarding.  I will try again tomorrow.

@JaviToday, I ended up starting from scratch again.  I restored my UD Mobile from a backup to recover my favorites and the backup was from before EISY, so the EISY was not there.

I took this as an opportunity to start from scratch again and tried the WiFI setup from UD Mobile Settings > WiFi Configuration.  The first time I tried it asked for permission to join the EISY AP, then proceeded to the next screen where it was connecting with the AP and there it just stalled and did not proceed.  The 2nd time I tried it asked for permission to join the EISY AP and then within  10 - 15 seconds came back and said it could not connect with AP and essentially stalled again.  The 3rd time I tried it asked for permission to join the AP, then proceeded, uploaded credentials and errored out as before with the  Error popup box.

So, then I tried to setup the EISY in UD Mobile settings and do so manually.  I went to test the Portal connection and it just timed out.  Tried to setup the local connection and it would never see the EISY.

Since I had issues before, I went to see the Portal status and AGAIN, it was saying the EISY was no longer connected to the Portal.  I rebooted and again I was getting those same pool.ntp.org error messages on the local HDMI screen.

Something in the manual process of setting up or testing the Portal or perhaps something in setting up the WiFi configuration is causing the EISY Networking to go weird.  So thinking this was a networking issue I reset the networking with 4 clicks of the button.  Within a few minutes the EISY reconnected with the Portal.

So, @Javi I don't know if it is me, UD Mobile or dumb luck, but I am making no progress with setting up the EISY WiFi.

Edited by ISY4Me

@ISY4Me

Make sure your UD Mobile is not connecting to your guest network, and that only the network you're trying to connect to shows in the Wi-Fi set up window in UD Mobile. 

Also try removing power from the eisy then allowing it to reboot.

I had similar issues and the above suggestions corrected it.

2 minutes ago, Techman said:

@ISY4Me

Make sure your UD Mobile is not connecting to your guest network, and that only the network you're trying to connect to shows in the Wi-Fi set up window in UD Mobile. 

Also try removing power from the eisy then allowing it to reboot.

I had similar issues and the above suggestions corrected it.

I have checked the UD Mobile > Settings > Systems > EISY and in the Local Connection there is only one WiFi network defined.  I do have a guest network, but the wifi radio is disabled when there are no guests in the house, so the I can't see anyway it would be detecting it.

I have the EISY configured manually in the UD Mobile > Settings > System > EISY.  I have the portal setup and tested and the local IP was setup with the finder and the Wifi router was added manually.  "Only use local" is OFF.

My home ethernet is setup on 192.168.27.xx for all devices.  At one point when the eisy.local AP was setup and visible in iOS during the WiFi Configuration I was able to look at it and it is/was assigning a 192.168.0.xx to the AP.  I didn't think this too unusual as the AP is essentially setting up it's own local sub-network... 

Any insight always appreciated.

@ISY4Me,

Can you please copy this to your ticket.  Assuming when you checked the portal this was on Ethernet, it should have reconnected to Portal automatically. So may need someone working with firmware to debug.

The only reason I can think of WiFi not working is the ssid or password is incorrect or the app is incorrectly encoding characters.  Do you have any special chars in your SSID or password?

Also there is a manual way to add the credentials linked below. This will not work from iOS (reasons link below).  So you could try this from a PC/Mac.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Troubleshooting

2 minutes ago, Javi said:

@ISY4Me,

Can you please copy this to your ticket.  Assuming when you checked the portal this was on Ethernet, it should have reconnected to Portal automatically. So may need someone working with firmware to debug.

The only reason I can think of WiFi not working is the ssid or password is incorrect or the app is incorrectly encoding characters.  Do you have any special chars in your SSID or password?

Also there is a manual way to add the credentials linked below. This will not work from iOS (reasons link below).  So you could try this from a PC/Mac.

I don't know which step of the attempts to connect with Wifi that the connection to the portal was broken.  I don't think it fair to submit a ticket without me providing some suggestions.  Let me try to repeat the some of the work and see if I can define when the connection broke.  With the ethernet disconnected during most of the wifi configuration I don't think it was in that work... I was sporadically checking the portal during most of that work and I had not lost it.  Let me see if I can determine when... but this is the 2nd day that this happened.

Later today, I went through and manually setup the EISY - UD Mobile >  System... I manually setup the portal and tested, manually setup the local using the finder (and it came up eisy.local, manually added the wifi and turned off always use local connection.  All the connection tests worked with ethernet plugged in... I did not try the tests with the ethernet unplugged.  Let me look at that and also examine the manual way to add credentials.

The SSID and password are widely used in my network and they are always copied and pasted from my password  tool and they have not changed.  The only odd character in my SSID is a hyphen, the WiFI password is only upper case characters and numbers, but it is a long string.  Is there a character limit to the password length?

I am surprised that this is becoming such a project.  I tend to have measurable patience for this kind of thing, so I will keep at it.

39 minutes ago, Javi said:

@Javi  I looked at this link and there is one statement in that documentation that bothers me.  There is a statement...

First put eisy in WiFi configuration mode by double pressing the front power button. Then connect to eisy's WiFi network, the password is the text under eisy's QR Code. Finally send the following command in a browser http://172.26.18.3:60018/setwifi/<SSID>/<Passphrase> where SSID is your home WiFi SSID and Passphrase is your home WiFi password.

That statement in bold says the EISY password is under the EISY's QR code.  When I look at the back of my unit, there is no text under the QR code.  So how does one know it?

Maybe I have an early batch.  The barcode is a standard WiFi Access Point barcode. Any scanning app can scan and see the following.

WIFI:T:WPA;S:eisy.setup.XXXXX;P: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx;; 

Where xxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the password.   Some devices will try to automatically save and try to connect to this Access point if scanned (i.e. iOS/Android camera apps). So if your device/app used to scan the qr code adds the access point to your saved AP list it needs to be forgotten or will cause errors if attempting to set WiFi from app.

Also changed my WiFi SSID and password to contain a hyphen and onboarding worked on my side.

Any one with WiFi setup issues on iOS please let me know your iOS version.  I have located a bug report to apple with similar behavior.  Some developers are reporting it is fixed in iOS 16 which may be the reason I can not replicate.  If you are experiencing the issue and have an iOS 15 device I would like to test a few workarounds but need users to test this function.

Exact same issues here - iPhone 14 Pro, IOS version 16.2

I went through nearly all the same steps - started with ethernet, tried to switch to Wi-Fi. 

I followed the normal instructions with scanning the bar code and sometimes got farther than others – usually to “Please wait while Wif-Fi credentials are set” and would then get “Request timed out” or “Internet Connection Appears Offline”. It was frustrating and strange to get to different points of the process, or it seemed, each time.

With that not working, I went to the manual mode with my laptop computer as shown below and still had no luck. It appeared the command line with my SSID and Passphrase worked for configuration as the webpage showed  “eisy.home AP setup”. No further information or prompts were shown so I assumed things would work. No luck. I’m completely stuck and don’t know what to try next. I should also mention that the private network created by the EISY was not consistent in showing up on the list of WiFi signals for either my iPhone or PC. Sometimes it would show up after the double tap, sometimes it wouldn't or would take a long time. Inconsistent behavior also made things troublesome to help diagnose what was happening.

-------

Here is what I followed to try for manual setup.

“If all the above does not work you can manually connect to eisy when in WiFi configuration mode although some mobile devices, specifically iOS devices, will connect to a network without internet but will not route requests to this network. So this should be done from a non-iOS Devices. First put eisy in WiFi configuration mode by double pressing the front power button. Then connect to eisy's WiFi network, the password is the text under eisy's QR Code. Finally send the following command in a browser http://172.26.18.3:60018/setwifi/<SSID>/<Passphrase> where SSID is your home WiFi SSID and Passphrase is your home WiFi password.”

-------

At this point, my whole system is bonked. Endless "system busy" loop and wonky things like lights in my home dimming and flashing. I turned in a trouble ticket for the system busy error. I have not turned in a trouble ticket for the WiFi issues. It looks like this thread will hopefully provide resolution for these issues and they are not causing the "system busy" issue.