How to migrate to ZMatter Z-Wave with your current Z-Wave network on a ZMatter Z-Wave dongle / board

Chris Jahn

I am confused by this. Why would one want to migrate their current Z-Wave on polisy/eisy with zmatter dongle to the same device on same zmatter dongle? Also, I have migrated to zmatter last month and that option no longer appears for me, therefore if I was to migrate my polisy/zmatter to an eisy/zmatter how would I do this then?

The only thing I can see is you meant to say migrate from a polisy/eisy using a zooz zwave?

17 minutes ago, brians said:

Also, I have migrated to zmatter last month and that option no longer appears for me, therefore if I was to migrate my polisy/zmatter to an eisy/zmatter how would I do this then?

There would be no migration here because you are already using the ZMatter Z-Wave implementation.

You would first use "Z-Wave | Backup" to make a backup of your Z-Wave network (creates a file in Polisy / eisy), then make a backup of your Polisy / Eisy.  You would then restore that backup on another Polisy / eisy (File | Restore ISY), and then restore your Z-Wave network (Z-Wave | Restore).

I am confused as well. There have been so many posts on migration that I don't know which one applies to my situation which is currently using Zooz on Polisy and wanting to go to ZMatter on eisy.

I would very much appreciate  step-by-step instructions to move my whole setup (Zwave and Wifi devices, programs, scenes and node servers) from Zooz on Polisy to ZMatter on eisy....

I already have the ZMatter dongle working on eisy but right now just for testing. Do I need to do a factory reset before migration ?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, asbril said:

I am confused as well. There have been so many posts on migration that I don't know which one applies to my situation which is currently using Zooz on Polisy and wanting to go to ZMatter on eisy.

I would very much appreciate  step-by-step instructions to move my whole setup (Zwave and Wifi devices, programs, scenes and node servers) from Zooz on Polisy to ZMatter on eisy....

I already have the ZMatter dongle working on eisy but right now just for testing. Do I need to do a factory reset before migration ?

Asbril, I think you would follow this post:

10 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Asbril, I think you would follow this post:

That is extremely helpful, but one more question :  I have seen the Node Server licences migration in ISY Portal, but what about the node servers themselves. I have read somewhere that I should install the same node servers (trial version) in eisy in  the same slots as in Polisy. Should I do that before the migration (which basically means that putting eisy in factory default is not needed before migration) or after migration ?

That 

On 1/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, Chris Jahn said:

There would be no migration here because you are already using the ZMatter Z-Wave implementation.

You would first use "Z-Wave | Backup" to make a backup of your Z-Wave network (creates a file in Polisy / eisy), then make a backup of your Polisy / Eisy.  You would then restore that backup on another Polisy / eisy (File | Restore ISY), and then restore your Z-Wave network (Z-Wave | Restore).

Just wanted to say thanks for the above. I appreciate the clarification. I just migrated from Polisy/Zmatter to eisy/Zmater doing as you suggested above and also by following the instructions in the wiki.  I don't believe the wiki mentioned your last step of restoring the Z-Wave network (maybe I missed it) but I did need to do that. Everything is working well on eisy.

My system has a large number of Insteon devices, a dozen Z-wave devices and a few node servers. I did not do the Zooz to Zmatter migration on Polisy. I just removed and readded them when I installed Zmatter on the Polisy. I have a serial PLM; so, I used the original cable that came with the PLM and attached it to a serial to USB adapter that I purchased from Amazon - worked fine

On 1/11/2023 at 5:11 PM, Chris Jahn said:

Here is the best approach to migrating a Z-Wave network on Polisy/eisy that is currently using our original Z-Wave implementation with a ZMatter Z-Wave dongle.  It allows you to migrate to the same or different Polisy/eisy. 

1) Make sure 5.5.3 is installed

2) Create a backup of your Polisy/eisy (File | Backup ISY)

3) Create a backup of the Polisy/eisy you are migrating to (if different than in step 2)

4) Go to configuration tab in Admin Console and select "Migrate to ZMatter ZWave"

5) Choose the option that allows you to create a "migration" backup (first option)

6) Once you have your "migration" backup you are ready to migrate

To migrate, use (File | Restore ISY) to restore the "migration" backup you just created (in step 5).  When your Polisy/eisy restarts it automatically migrates and creates the new nodes, does the device interviews etc.

If you don't actually change your Z-Wave network by adding/removing devices after migration, you can always back out the migration by restoring the regular backup (from step 3). 

Will this procedure work to recreate the existing channels/nodes in the current version or will it install channels/nodes that it thinks  should be installed? Then I would be stuck again with no sensor input channels