Wait Command for Programs (or scenes if possible)

Quixote

As installers, my associates and I are always looking for things that may add a little bit of a "wow factor". Next month I am planning on moving to a new home. We will be using it as a sort of showcase house for potential customers and I was brainstorming on what I could do to spruce things up in the automation department.

One idea that I had was to install pot lights down the length of a room, possibly 2 rows of 4, and wiring each of the four sets of two on a separate inline linc dimmer. I would then want to have each set illuminate one after the other, fading on over 5 seconds but activating 3 seconds after the preceding set. This would give the look of a wave of light flowing down the room.

In order to do that, I would need to be able to add a wait command into the program that would turn on the lights.

What do you think about that?

Thanks.

Hi Quixote,

I would think that you could do that with a scene and the effect will be much more natural than using programs. Not to mention with a scene, the traffic is minimal and with a program you are doing individual devices. And, finally, if you use programs, you have to change the Ramp Rate for that device.

Using a scene, simply have increasing ramp rates for each device. i.e. 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc.

With kind regards,

Michel

I see where you are coming from, but the effect would not quite be the same. I suppose that the difference in results would not be worth the trouble for the average user, but I think that wait commands could open up some interesting, playful effects that could be used to have lights fade on and off in waves eminating from one point and then returning. While I can't think of any entirely practical use for it aside from showmanship, it could be fun for water garden displays, underwater pool lights, coloured lights fading into each other, etc.

Not exactly a priority, but just something to think about for fun and consider for a future release if time permits.

Oh boy. :oops:

Haha... umm.. sorry, I'm completely new to this environment and I'm just learning the ropes. So I can add the wait command and all of the "then" actions will occur in the sequence that they are listed as in the program?

Sorry for wasting your time on that. I've been reading the wiki and other guides, but there is a lot to cover.

The Wait can be used before or between actions. There is also a Repeat command so you can cycle the program.

ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Program_Commands.

Rand

Oh boy. :oops:

Haha... umm.. sorry, I'm completely new to this environment and I'm just learning the ropes. So I can add the wait command and all of the "then" actions will occur in the sequence that they are listed as in the program?

Sorry for wasting your time on that. I've been reading the wiki and other guides, but there is a lot to cover.

Archived