Yolink Remote

rshilliam
Go to solution Solved by Panda88,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Panda88, I have a question about configuring the Yolink remote with the NS. Since it is never linked to the hub, how does the NS learn about it?  There is no QR code on the one I have, or any mention of what the device key is. I can link it to my other  Yolink devices, but that doesn't cause it to show in the Admin Console. Is there some way to link it to the hub that Yolink hasn't documented?

Is the one you have the one with many keys ?  I have only looked at the one with 4 keys - Smart FOB I think they call it - This one has QR code etc and shows up and registers in APP -  My guess is you have the old one - It does not sound like it is possible to access that one if the system is not aware of it (I assume it must be D2D linking) 

@Panda88I just received the one (with 12 buttons).  I believe your are correct about it only supporting the D2D linking.  Bummer.  I did order one of the 4 button remotes too; I'm glad to hear that one does register with the APP.  I'll be setting it up as soon as I receive it (maybe tomorrow).  Thanks for your help!

@Panda88Got mine today.  Paired with the Hub.  NS updated and it appears on the ISY Admin Console.  I didn't see a way to make it work if added to a scene so assumed would only work with a program.  Verified that the status of the switches change on the console and created a simple program to turn on a Insteon light.  I also see that the program gets triggered by checking the time stamp; however, the light doesn't get triggered to switch on.  I don't see anything related in the event log.  Did you get it to work another way?

3 minutes ago, rshilliam said:

@Panda88Got mine today.  Paired with the Hub.  NS updated and it appears on the ISY Admin Console.  I didn't see a way to make it work if added to a scene so assumed would only work with a program.  Verified that the status of the switches change on the console and created a simple program to turn on a Insteon light.  I also see that the program gets triggered by checking the time stamp; however, the light doesn't get triggered to switch on.  I don't see anything related in the event log.  Did you get it to work another way?

Never mind - I added a "long" press command to test if the switch would turn the light off and it magically started working!  Both ON/OFF functions are working...now my wife has an easy way to switch her bedside lamp on and off without shouting at Alexa (since the Insteon remote went kaput...).  Thanks!!  I'll need to get some more of these little jewels thanks to your NS.  Much appreciated!

• Like 1

I forgot about scenes - I'll take a look next week - It should be possible to make the both the short press and the long press work sending DON/DOF (toggling) (same for DFON /DFOF), but I need to think about how to initialize it - I have no idea what the state of the device being controlled is when started - so you may need to press twice first time,

My initial thought was to send a key press and have the program handle if it is on or off (I have no way to query the state of the fob)

Just to be clear - are both short and long press working now?  

Quick question on the Scene integration

Should I make a setting to select a botton to be toogle (meaning it changes state every time it is pressed) - or should I make a switch to be either on or off (It will match the coming on/off FOB - my guess) - It has to do with how ISY handles scenes (you contol them by sending a command (DON/DOF) to the ISY

Any preference?

I may be able to do both options, but need to think about it

On 2/11/2023 at 5:04 PM, rshilliam said:
56 minutes ago, Panda88 said:

OK - thought a little more about it

I will have to change the smartRemoter to have - sub nodes for each key - I can keep the existing node but will need to have a sub node for each key - otherwise I cannot determine which of the keys you link to a scene 

Hope this is acceptable 

Sounds very acceptable - Insteon remotes have a node for each key and I never even tried to use them in programs; the method that I understood was to add the key to a scene as a controller and/or responder.  The program method is very logical as well.

I have one of the Yolink four button fob remotes now and it is working well. I am using programs to turn scenes on and off with key presses, short for on and long for off. So far so good.

A toggle option would be nice, then we could get eight functions out of the four buttons. I suppose a program could be made to do a toggle meanwhile.

Quick question on functionality - Should I default the sending commands behavior.  I have something working now, but need to know if I shoudl default it to a state, or don't do anything until configured.   

There are 6 options for either a long press or a short press

0 : Send DOF (normal off commands to scene)

1: Send DON (normal on )

2: Send DFOF (fast OFF - equivalent to fast double click)

3: Send DFON (fast ON)

4 : Each key press toggles between DON and DOF

5: each keypress toggles between DFON and DFOF

Separate functionality can be assigned to LONG press and short press

Should I default to one of these values (if yes - what) - or simply do nothing until the commands are selected

33 minutes ago, Panda88 said:

Quick question on functionality - Should I default the sending commands behavior.  I have something working now, but need to know if I shoudl default it to a state, or don't do anything until configured.   

There are 6 options for either a long press or a short press

0 : Send DOF (normal off commands to scene)

1: Send DON (normal on )

2: Send DFOF (fast OFF - equivalent to fast double click)

3: Send DFON (fast ON)

4 : Each key press toggles between DON and DOF

5: each keypress toggles between DFON and DFOF

Separate functionality can be assigned to LONG press and short press

Should I default to one of these values (if yes - what) - or simply do nothing until the commands are selected

@Panda88I personally like the defaults set and would prefer the Short=1 and Long=0 (however currently 1: is not currently working for the Insteon dinner switches since one of the last updates) but definitely like the idea of being able to modify. I'd like to try the toggle options but I am not clear how the state is maintained which might mean clicking twice which is clunky on the long presses. 

I am looking forward to testing the remote with scenes because I found when I added two of these remotes in a program, if the same light is had already been turned off with one remote, it can't be turned on with the 2nd.  I'm guessing because the program reads the remote state which still indicates that the last button state was and then the two remote conflict.  Probably is fixable with some tricky programming but I'm not tricky enough.

Thanks for adding the remotes - they work pretty well (most of the time).

Hi @Panda88, I've written a simple program to perform an on/off toggle when a Yolink Fob button is pushed. I'm having an issue where the statement "If 'Mini YRemote' ComboPress is Key1 - Short" only catches the button press, if I have previously selected another button, so there is a new transition to "Key1 - Short". In other words, the program won't be triggered by consecutive presses of the same button. Is there something you can do like have key press status time out so that transitions do occur for subsequent key presses of the same button?

BTW, a similar toggle works for a Flic button that calls the same slave program.

image.jpeg.83bc57d32783b7bef71a5afc8ff2a5db.jpeg

image.jpeg.5dedc010a48a0cb7d85f1858fa034367.jpeg

4 hours ago, rshilliam said:

@Panda88I personally like the defaults set and would prefer the Short=1 and Long=0 (however currently 1: is not currently working for the Insteon dinner switches since one of the last updates) but definitely like the idea of being able to modify. I'd like to try the toggle options but I am not clear how the state is maintained which might mean clicking twice which is clunky on the long presses. 

I am looking forward to testing the remote with scenes because I found when I added two of these remotes in a program, if the same light is had already been turned off with one remote, it can't be turned on with the 2nd.  I'm guessing because the program reads the remote state which still indicates that the last button state was and then the two remote conflict.  Probably is fixable with some tricky programming but I'm not tricky enough.

Thanks for adding the remotes - they work pretty well (most of the time).

Getting DON/DOF should solve this issue - I need to implement the defaulting (well test it - it is there already)  -  I will be on vacation next week, so not sure when I get to do the test and release it