Looking for temperature sensor

gzahar

Trying to monitor temperature on a hot water pipe.  First thought is to connect a K-type thermocouple (they are readily available and economical) to something that can be monitored by ISY (z-wave, node server, rest i/f, etc.).  Preferably not battery operated, but I can live with that.  Could also be self-contained system that reports over network to app if that is cheaper or better solution.  Z-wave would be last choice (sensors would be no where near my current network build out).  I see Wireless Tags has a device that will accept a thermocouple and I already have a tag manager, but not sure if sensors will reach the distance I need.  A 2nd tag manager and their sensors would do, but would like to see if there are better solutions that some have found.  Thanks.

I'm using several of the Wireless Tag Outdoor Probes with both the Thermocouple and the DS18B20 probes. The DS18B20s are measuring ground Temperature at 1 foot deep and below ground chambers where my irrigation valves are. The thermocouple is indoors measuring an air duct temperature. The farthest one away from the Manager is a DS18B20 measuring the ground temperature. It's about 120 feet total through the house and then outdoors with a signal strength at -84dBm. The closest one is just in the next room from the Manager and its signal level is -81dBm.

I'm running Polisy with the Wireless Tag Node Server. Been running this way for several years. (Well, not with Polisy but the with Wireless Tag system on its own.)

Edited by vbphil
  • Like 1

I see Yo Link as a thermocouple sensor, and they brag about the distance these things can transmit.  You'd have to buy a hub and pay for the node server ($10/perpetual), so there's some expense.  

I agree with @vbphil on the range of the Wireless Tags.  I've used several outside, and they worked reliably, even out towards 100'.  They're in the 430-439MHz frequency range, so the signal propagates well.  I have on in the freezer in the garage, probably 80' from the tag manager, and it never misses.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I see Yo Link as a thermocouple sensor, and they brag about the distance these things can transmit.  You'd have to buy a hub and pay for the node server ($10/perpetual), so there's some expense.  

You need to buy a hub for the Tags as well.  I have several sitting in a box somewhere.  All replaced by YoLink which is working for me up to 500' with way better battery life and a better App.

34 minutes ago, palayman said:

You need to buy a hub for the Tags as well.

I could possibly use my existing Tag hub, but I can get a complete YoLink setup including hub, sensors, and node server for less than just the Tag sensors.  I also like the additional devices YoLink has.  Looks like I'll give that a try.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, palayman said:

You need to buy a hub for the Tags as well.  I have several sitting in a box somewhere.  All replaced by YoLink which is working for me up to 500' with way better battery life and a better App.

Does Yolink require Internet or will operate just locally off the home network?

Obviously cloud based for the app, not sure about the node server.  Probably the same.  I haven't used the Tag node server (and may not use the YoLink node server), is it local?

There is some local communications based on the following:

What is YoLink Control or Control-D2D?

Control D2D (device-to-device) pairing allows for one or more sensors to be paired with one or more other sensors, in a way that they will respond and operate automatically, even with the loss of WiFi, internet and AC power. For example, leak sensors can be paired to a valve controller, so that the water is shut off automatically when a leak is detected. This is a unique feature not found in other smart water leak systems.

If your smart system absolutely must perform, no matter what - power outage, loss of internet - you can depend on YoLink Control-D2D!

Edited by gzahar

I've been using Wireless Tag for many years but after reading Yolink's web site and specifications I'm going to give them a try even though I presently don't need anything. Got an order ready for the Speaker Hub, 2 Humidity/Temp and one leak detector with probe. 

• Like 1

I've been looking through the product list, and it appears that I could replace a lot of my Z-Wave installation with YoLink devices.  Hmmm.  It looks like the API is cloud based, which is a disadvantage to Z-Wave.  The good news is that I mostly want simple reporting when I'm away on many of my Z-Wave devices, so if the Internet is down, I won't get updates anyway -- no loss going with YoLink, provided their cloud is up.  

It looks like these are the supported devices in the node server:

'Switch', 'THSensor', 'MultiOutlet', 'DoorSensor','Manipulator', 
'MotionSensor', 'Outlet', 'GarageDoor', 'LeakSensor', 'Hub', 
'SpeakerHub', 'VibrationSensor', 'Finger', 'Lock', 'Dimmer', 'InfraredRemoter', 

I see most of what I'd want...   

Edited by Bumbershoot
40 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

The good news is that I mostly want simple reporting when I'm away on many of my Z-Wave devices, so if the Internet is down, I won't get updates anyway -- no loss going with YoLink, provided their cloud is up.

My thought as well.  Support is excellent.  Usually hear back in a few hours of less.

I use both kinds of hubs, temp/humidity sensors, leak sensors, inside motion, outside motion, sirens, valves and AC on/off modules. No failures and no replaced batteries.

The ability to communicate even when the hub and internet is down is a great feature. BTW the founder was an engineer at Insteon a long time ago.

41 minutes ago, palayman said:

I use both kinds of hubs, temp/humidity sensors, leak sensors, inside motion, outside motion, sirens, valves and AC on/off modules. No failures and no replaced batteries.

How’s the size of their sensors? They look larger than W Tags especially with AAA batteries. I just ordered a speak hub is it very loud?

13 minutes ago, vbphil said:

How’s the size of their sensors? They look larger than W Tags especially with AAA batteries. I just ordered a speak hub is it very loud?

About 2" x 2" x 1", but they include a display.

Speaker hub is loud enough. I have it next to a google home device and I trigger a broadcast under certain conditions.

BTW I also use a vibration sensor.  Have it on the alarm buzzer in my sewage pump controller.

I also had issues with the wireless tags.  Kept dropping connection and I had to keep resetting them.  I've had no trouble with YoLink temp sensors.

However, I wish the probe for the weatherproof temp sensor was about a foot or two longer.  Is that something I could splice or would a DS18B20 (preferred) work?  I haven't opened one up (yet).

Thanks,

Ross

I also had issues with the wireless tags.  Kept dropping connection and I had to keep resetting them.  I've had no trouble with YoLink temp sensors.
However, I wish the probe for the weatherproof temp sensor was about a foot or two longer.  Is that something I could splice or would a DS18B20 (preferred) work?  I haven't opened one up (yet).
Thanks,
Ross

So the probes are hard wired to sensor (no plug)? I guess that would make sense if they were made for unprotected areas.
Also, can they graph collected data like the Tags do? How much data is retained to view? Anywhere close to a year?
6 hours ago, gzahar said:

So the probes are hard wired to sensor (no plug)? I guess that would make sense if they were made for unprotected areas.
Also, can they graph collected data like the Tags do? How much data is retained to view? Anywhere close to a year?

Here are a couple of screen grabs for the app for the temp and humidity sensor. Was able to go back several months.  Not sure how far back you can go. Not sure if you can download, but is it is all logged by my Home Assistant anyway. I'm stuck using ns2 so I'm actually using the integration with Home Assistant rather than a node server.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b0aaaf2515e63d74cb60b6b3126f5cd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bdd4a0a186451cb52ed875b09c4d14a9.jpeg

Edited by palayman
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, palayman said:

I'm actually using the integration with Home Assistant rather than a node server.

I'm planning on using HA with YoLink as well instead of a Node Server. How much data are you capturing in HA? Is that through the Recorder integration setting? I'm just learning about that and found where the default is 10 days. I wasn't sure how high I could safely raise that.

Edited by vbphil
typo
1 hour ago, vbphil said:

I'm planning on using HA with YoLink as well instead of a Node Server. How much data are you capturing in HA? Is that through the Recorder integration setting? I'm just learning about that and found where the default is 10 days. I wasn't sure how high I could safely raise that.

Using InfluxDB. Capturing some data forever.

Here is a link https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/influxdb/

• Like 1