Insteon PLM 2413S

My PLM 2413s that I have connected to my ISY is dead. It is from 2009.  It has been intermittent for a week where I have had to unplug and re plug.  So I remember a while back someone said I can pull the daughter board off and put it in a USB PLM.  When I swapped out the board (2016) I plugged everything in and rebooted, I could not communicate with any devices.  Looking at the PLM info in ISY is can see that the PLM device ID had taken on the device ID of the USB modem.  Not what I was expecting.  I expected the device ID to be on the daughter board. So I switched everything back and now the serial PLM has no lights.

Am I missing something?  

As a side note.  I have a Polisy all set and ready to do the migration.  I was going to use the serial the serial PLM.  Well that is not going to happen.

@CPrince Read the UD Wiki for the restore process when replacing/restoring a PLM  - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu

Be sure if you have the pro add-on to turn off battery writes if you have battery devices. 

As for the issues with the PLM not having lights sounds like something didn't connect back when you moved things back to the serial PLM. 

@RPerraultI think I am on the road to redemption.  I figured I was swapping a power supply board and there should be NO issues.  So much for thinking.  I had the left the ISY powered up.  Now I read the warning; that is a no no.  So I did a PLM restore and things are coming back on line.  Tomorrow I have to jack with all the battery sensors.

@GeddyI think the PLM gave up the ghost.  That is why I am in this mess to begin with.  The light should be red if no daughter board attached and green if one is attached.  No lights.  The green light was dim and I could hear a slight buzzing.  I guess it is time to recap.

Thank you.

The six digit Insteon ID is on the main board not the daughter board. So the modules would not respond to the replacement PLM ID until you did a restore.

Also with the USB PLM main board. It would ID as a USB PLM not a serial port  PLM. I don't believe the ISY994i checks for PLM type just it is connected at startup. Can't say about the two more recent models.

The model PLM was a 2413U. Not the old 2412U power line only model. With slower memory and came with two different link database size? Though the link database memory is on the daughter board not the main board.

@Brian HAfter I removed the main board, I could see all the circuitry on the bottom.  There is way more logic than meets the initial view.

So I recapped this thing.  I found a post, read threw it and blended the ideas together to order 5 capacitors of slightly different values than the originals.  Seems there are lots of versions of the PLM.  It is or appears to be operational.  Any way to test it?

So now I have a USB PLM with a serial board and a Serial PLM with a USB board.  Does it really matter?  I hear that "it" knows but may not act on it.   I want to migrate to Polisy.  Should I just move the USB PLM with the serial board to the Polisy?  Should I put everything back the way it was (USB on USB PLM , serial on serial PLM), replace the original serial PLM on the ISY, get the ISY fully function again and then proceed to the migration?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I was not available as of 2/14/2023.

I don't know if it matters. I know the Subcategory ID for the serial and USB versions is on the main boards firmware.   I am sure a ISY994i didn't check for serial or USB. I don't know about the Polisy.

You could probably try them as configured now or swap daughter boards.