2413S Solid red LED, capacitors have been replaced

gamber

Knowing the ongoing power supply issues with the 2413S power supplies, and after a failure roughly 12 months ago, I completed a DIY replacement of the capacitors.  Process went smooth however now have a solid red LED light in the PLM.  A factory reset has been completed.  Though not an expert (and likely my failure point), I have reviewed both the schematics which can be found as well as the Modem Developer's Guide)

What is the process to determine if:

• Power supply issue has been solved.  Where can this be measured?  Can it be determined from the pinout?
    • Assumption is that it should have 12v when measured across pins 1 and 8
    • What are the voltages in the pins within the image (noting top is ground)
  • The issue is the main board or the daughter board?
    • can the daughter board/interface be tested from a computer?

Looking forward to thoughts of all.

2023-02-19 13.22.34.jpg

@gamber there are a couple of programs that you can run to test the PLM. I don't know how to use them or how to get them, but I've seen @Brian H mention them before. Perhaps Brian can shed more light and assist with this.

Additionally, even though you've recapped it on your own it might be worth contacting Insteon tech support for any ideas or troubleshooting they can assist with. 

The two outlined areas of the 2413 main board. Are programming connectors used by the vendor to program the main board controllers. One RF controller and the other one is the main controller. They have +5 VDC and Common Ground. Along with some other needed signals for programming.

The main power supply is unregulated +12VDC that runs around +18VDC. Regulators on the main board and daughter board for logic supply. On the daughter board pin 1 and 8 are the unregulated +12VDC

The developers guides where for the old power line only 2412. With a power transformer style power supply and not the switching supply in a 2413. I have seen a schematic here for the switcher and will try and find it. The guides should show you the two pins on the connector.

If you have serial port on the computer. BusyRats test program may work but it requires you to send and receive the hex commands seen in the guides. The developers group also gave us a script to use with the free evaluation version of DockLight Scripting. Depending on what version developer kit we had determined what it did.

I modified on one the scripts with a plain text editor for my use. As saving changes are not in the evaluation free version. Did basic things like dump the link database and turn on some of my old X10 modules. Also used a serial port but commands I used didn't need the hex data.

Edited by Brian H
add stuff