Daylight Saving

vbPhil
Go to solution Solved by vbPhil,

1 hour ago, apostolakisl said:

Turns out deleting the java applet and reinstalling fixed the clock.  So I guess it was just the time displayed on the admin console and not the time running on the machine.

Did you just try clearing the app cache first? Seems a bit extreme that you uninstalled java and re-installed it...

TRI0N

16 hours ago, larryllix said:

I would encourage every user to petition their politicians to stop this DST nonsense. Many locations have.

Just wait until fall, when your ISY has two 1:30 AMs to deal with in the same night. Then what?

What will a program loop that executes every ten minutes do?
What about a program that executes at 1:45 AM do?  2:00 AM?

This will never be working properly for all program logic.

Oh @larryllix - I send our buddy Ford an email about it every month! It must be killed. 

Please everyone! Write your politician and them to stop the annual changes!!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TRI0N said:

Not sure if this will help but I did clear java cache the night of Spring Forward @ 1 AM. I did not notice time. Clearing Java Cache has gotten so common I literally set up a Stream Deck button to handle it...

20230313_101535.jpg

TRI0N

What the HECK is a stream deck????? @TRI0N

5 minutes ago, ShawnW said:

What the HECK is a stream deck????? @TRI0N

A very useful tool. For example when I press the Photoshop Button it opens Photoshops then loads a page that has all my custom settings like, brushes, to apply custom filers, one button press to export to png... All kinds of things. Apparently someone made use of it with Home Assist. The name is a little inclusive. Makes you think it's just for Streamers or something. It's not, far from it. 

TRI0N

7 hours ago, ShawnW said:

Oh @larryllix - I send our buddy Ford an email about it every month! It must be killed. 

Please everyone! Write your politician and them to stop the annual changes!!!

Yeah, we are waiting to see what QUebec and New York does about it because if we have a different clock time than them, the world might stop. Geeeshhhh!

...No. You go first then we'll do it...   no you, I dare you!...   no you....

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Yeah, we are waiting to see what QUebec and New York does about it because if we have a different clock time than them, the world might stop. Geeeshhhh!

...No. You go first then we'll do it...   no you, I dare you!...   no you....

If Quebec had listed to Charles de Gaulle it would now be on Paris time :-) 

• Haha 3

I hate the Spring forward thing, but I think that settling on "summer" time as a single zone is a big mistake. Instead ...

We should just settle on the "standard" time zone for each. That way, noon will have the sun more overhead, like it was designed for, and we won't have dark & gloomy mornings in the winter.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

I hate the Spring forward thing, but I think that settling on "summer" time as a single zone is a big mistake. Instead ...

We should just settle on the "standard" time zone for each. That way, noon will have the sun more overhead, like it was designed for, and we won't have dark & gloomy mornings in the winter.

* Orest

I'm afraid science (& economics) disagree with you. Without getting into an ill-placed debate, I think most would simply prefer the extra hour of sunlight to be after work in the evening, not in the morning while we're sleeping or working. Also, traffic patterns prove that twice as many lives would be saved in the evening drive than the morning drive, and people spend more time shopping (spending money) in the evening, more energy is saved with light in the evening than morning,... Almost every benefit is given by the evening sun, and society largely agrees.

• Like 2

In a technical perspective DST is a complete pain the rear end when collecting data. When either your date and time stamps conflict. Spring Forward isn't a problem. It's fall back that is a pain in the rear end to deal with.

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
  • Like 1
On 3/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, vbPhil said:

I see the problem. The list of Locations shown when selecting the AC Change Location button is wrong for Albuquerque. It shows the Albuquerque Daylight Saving Rule is America/Phoenix, it should be America/Denver. Phoenix does not change to Daylight Saving. I wonder when that rule was changed. I've never had this problem before.

Update 3-14-2023, UDI contacted and will resolve in the next update.

image.jpeg.68811c92440fecf9c2443ab42a320f5e.jpeg

Not sure how that is the solution when people in British Columbia and other places have the same problem. They obviously don't live in New Mexico.

TRI0N

On 3/14/2023 at 7:33 PM, ShawnW said:

I'm afraid science (& economics) disagree with you. Without getting into an ill-placed debate, I think most would simply prefer the extra hour of sunlight to be after work in the evening, not in the morning while we're sleeping or working. Also, traffic patterns prove that twice as many lives would be saved in the evening drive than the morning drive, and people spend more time shopping (spending money) in the evening, more energy is saved with light in the evening than morning,... Almost every benefit is given by the evening sun, and society largely agrees.

You must not be old enough to remember the 2 years during the Arab Oil Embargo (circa 1973) when Nixon suspended the switch for 2 years.  In my location in the world it didn't get light outside until after 9am in the winter months.

I'd go for standard time year round, or the shift that we follow now.  I hope we never have year round Daylight Saving time again, it was awful.  (caveat: Realize that Sunrise does vary across the time zone, the further north the worse winter Daylight Saving gets.)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MrBill said:

You must not be old enough to remember the 2 years during the Arab Oil Embargo (circa 1973) when Nixon suspended the switch for 2 years.  In my location in the world it didn't get light outside until after 9am in the winter months.

I'd go for standard time year round, or the shift that we follow now.  I hope we never have year round Daylight Saving time again, it was awful.  (caveat: Realize that Sunrise does vary across the time zone, the further north the worse winter Daylight Saving gets.)

Where I am we end up going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. I would rather be switched to DST all year 'round so that we go to work in the dark but still have a few minutes of light later when we get home.

This can be a real problem for people living at the far reaches of their time zone. Friends of ours, in Thunder Bay Ontario, complained about trying to get their kids to sleep, while the sun was still shining on their beds at 10:00 PM each night, using DST.

The real answer is to retire and stop going to work at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3