Unable to launch start.jnlp

boonest
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

Not sure who to ask first, Java, Windows or Universal Devices. I chose to start here.

I updated Java to V8u371 on my Windows 11 machine. Installation was successful. Now I get the following error when trying to run start.jnlp.

Screenshot2023-04-30070246.png.d04d3d0150b8d6b2d23c9015a90c431d.png

When I click on 'Details' I get,

Screenshot2023-04-30070422.png.fd9a582ad41344f4876de59a2b05c3cd.png

which has the following text in the text box,

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.sun.deploy.net.protocol.https.Handler.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.createUrlConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequestEX(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.downloadResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: No TLS/SSL protocol is enabled.
    at com.sun.deploy.net.protocol.https.Handler$Initializer.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    ... 18 more

This error appears on my laptop and desktop. Both are running Windows 11 Pro 22H2. Both start.jnlp and admin.jnlp produce the same error message. Everything was working prior to the Java update. I have rebooted computers, reloaded Java, deleted everything from Java including the applet. I downloaded and installed fresh applet from forum, and still, same error.

One weird thing is that when I use the 'Java Uninstall Tool' it says that Java is not installed on this machine, even though I have both 32 and 64 bit versions installed.

Maybe it is time for Universal Devices to implement an embedded web server.... just saying.

Thank you in advance for any and all help and guidance.

I know you indicted you followed all of the troubleshooting steps, but to double check, have you followed these steps from the wiki:

admin.jnlp does not start the Admin Console

• If Java is indeed installed, the reason is that .jnlp file association is broken (it has to point to javaws.exe). Search for javaws.exe in the computer. Right mouse click and select "Open with" and point to "javaws.exe" to fix the .jnlp file association.

Cannot find Valid Java Home

This issue usually happens on Windows and when you have had multiple versions of Java installed especially the older version. What you need to do:

1. Clear your java cache
  2. Uninstall all versions of Java using the Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
  3. Delete these directories (if they exist):
    1. C:\Program Files\Java
    2. C:\Program Files\Oracle
    3. C:\Program Files(x86)\Java
    4. C:\Program Files(x86)\Oracle
    5. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java
    6. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle
  4. Open Search or click "Windows/Start" button:
    1. In the search box, type Environment and choose Edit the System environment Variables
    2. Click Environment Variables
    3. Under User variables for <username>
      1. Click on the Path | Edit and then delete all occurrences of Java and Oracle
      2. If you see JAVA_PATH, click on it and then click the Delete button
    4. Under System variables
      1. Click on the Path | Edit and then delete all occurrences of Java and Oracle
      2. If you see JAVA_PATH, click on it and then click the Delete button
    5. Click the OK button (3 times to get out of "System Properties")
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Reinstall Java 64bit version

If you were running the 32bit (x86) version of Java you might need these additional steps after reinstalling Java 64bit version:

1. Open Search or click "Windows/Start" button:
    1. In the search box, type Environment and choose Edit the System environment Variables
    2. Click Environment Variables
  2. Under "System variables" Click "New..."
    1. For "Variable name:" type JAVA_HOME
      (ALL CAPS)
    2. For "Variable value:" enter the directory for your new Java install
      Example: C:\Program Files\Java\jre-#.#
      [NOTE: #'s will be current version just installed]
      You can click "Browse Directory.." to find the directory or type or paste it in the entry field.
    3. Click OK
  3. Find "PATH" (still under System Variables)
    1. Click "Edit..."
    2. Click "New"
    3. Enter: %JAVA_HOME%\bin
      Pay attention to CAPS
    4. Click "OK" (total of 3 times to exit "System Properties"
  4. Reboot your computer

To confirm Java is on the system start Command Prompt or PowerShell and type java -version. You should get a result similar to:

java version "1.8.0_371"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_371-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.371-b11, mixed mode)

IoX Launcher should be able to launch correctly every time now. If you still have issues please file a support ticket.
Windows should update these entries as Java updates, but should you have issues you might need to update the JAVA_HOME directory above.

• Like 1

So I have done everything in the Wiki, multiple times, with no change. I'm a little confused now. The Wiki says Java 64 bit but I thought it was supposed to be Java 32 Bit as Techman wrote. I am using a Polisy with v5.6.0 and PG3 v3.1.20.

• Solution

64 bit java works fine on win 10 and win 11, been using it for years.  No reason to limit memory use to 4gb, even if the admin console should never need that much.

---------------------------------------------

Twice I've had to nuke the temp files stored in \users\<username>\AppData\ which is a hidden folder, so you must first make certain image.png.7a98745c5e2a8ffa4f8cb9f8e7db0c1c.pngis set for visibility. 

(Full Disclosure: the first time java was broken bad.  Michel spent an hour trying to get it to work, Michel even tried to give up, but we tried one last thing.  The second time I needed to uninstall java and nuked the appdata workspace just because I knew I could, not because I knew I needed to.)

1. Uninstall java
  2. Open file explorer and click in the tree to reach 😄\users\<username>\AppData\
  3. search for "java"  (note: other windows settings and preferences for your user determine where "Java" folders get created.  (generally they appear under "sun" and "oracle" folders.)
    image.thumb.png.f1d2d5b1dc2f601dc02a9dcee1fb87ad.png
  4. Delete any "Java" folders under 'sun' or 'oracle' folders. You may find a lot of folders, if it's an older computer and you've never done this.
  5. Reinstall Java 8 with a fresh download https://www.java.com

• Like 1

Thank you all. Java is now working on both of my machines. I followed MrBill's advice about deleting the Java folders in the AppData folder. I also edited the System Environment Variables according to the Wiki, again. With a fresh install of Java 64 bit I can now access my Polisy. Thanks again.

• Like 1