Harmony to EISY via PG3 Capabilities

Go to solution Solved by carealtor,

@jimboca thanks for building this fantastic app for PG3. It really does complete a much needed capability (although Logitech abandoning Harmony is a clear worry given how good Harmony is!). I wanted to check in regarding the available capabilities. It seems to be that:

1. EISY can trigger a Harmony remote activity to be turned on or off
  2. EISY can trigger a Harmony remote device button press
  3. Harmony remote activity being turned on or off can trigger an EISY event
  4. Harmony remote device button press cannot trigger an EISY event 

Can you confirm this is correct? This seems to be what I'm seeing.

If so, are there any plans to address point 4 above or is there a method you might be able to recommend as an alternative? I want to be able to manage room lights (via EISY) from the harmony remote. Right now I'm using IR into EISY but that's complicated with the EISY not being co-located near the Harmony Hub.

In my experience, you can do #1 and #3 but not #2 with the Harmony Node server by itself.  If you want to use the dedicated home control buttons on your Harmony remote, then you need the Hue emulator node server because the Harmony software limits those buttons to control only a small set of devices (including a Hue Hub).  I use the Virtual node server to create fake switches that turn on and off in scenes accessible by the Hue emulator.  This triggers programs to control fans and lighting.  Maybe not the cleanest method (anyone else have a method?), but a method to get programs to trigger.  If you only want scene control, then you could just use the Hue Emulator by itself.

Just now, JTsao said:

In my experience, you can do #1 and #3 but not #2 with the Harmony Node server by itself.  If you want to use the dedicated home control buttons on your Harmony remote, then you need the Hue emulator node server because the Harmony software limits those buttons to control only a small set of devices (including a Hue Hub).  I use the Virtual node server to create fake switches that turn on and off in scenes accessible by the Hue emulator.  This triggers programs to control fans and lighting.  Maybe not the cleanest method (anyone else have a method?), but a method to get programs to trigger.  If you only want scene control, then you could just use the Hue Emulator by itself.

Thanks @JTsao. Yeah I've not tried #2 but I notice through the admin console there is an ability to be able to do that. Right now I have the need identified for #4 working just fine via IR with a custom device having been added to the Harmony Hub Config which I created no problem. So the Insteon lights are controllable via the button on the Harmony hub. The only issue is I need to use an IR extender via a UTP to send the IR commands into the EISY directly. I would rather use PG3 to execute these function than IR if possible.

4 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Number 4 is almost certainly never going to happen.  Harmony has never exposed button presses through their API.  This has been a sore spot in many discussions on many home automation forums for many years.

Thanks @carealtor. Wasn't aware of that (disappointing as you say) but at least it's clear..

17 minutes ago, JTsao said:

You can do #4 if you get a FLIRC and use the eISYIR nodeserver but then you need an IR path to the eISY - I used to use a Sewell Wireless IR repeater with the ISY994

Yeah that's what I'm doing presently with EISY thanks @JTsao. Was hoping I could to this via PG3 but you guys have helped me understand that's not an option. Thank you all so much!