Changes in Notification Variables

JSylvia007
Go to solution Solved by DennisC,

I have finally gone through my migration from the 994 to the eisy.  It certainly wasn't smooth, BUT, I think I'm through most of it.

One issue that I have is that some of my Aeotec Z-Wave door/window sensors no longer report their Status via the status variable (${sys.node.ZY016_1.ST), as it appears that it's now called "Access Control".  What variable should I be using in notifications if I want that value?  .ST isn't working, and the wiki page doesn't have something called "Access Control", only items related to user access codes.

• Solution
7 hours ago, JSylvia007 said:

I have finally gone through my migration from the 994 to the eisy.  It certainly wasn't smooth, BUT, I think I'm through most of it.

One issue that I have is that some of my Aeotec Z-Wave door/window sensors no longer report their Status via the status variable (${sys.node.ZY016_1.ST), as it appears that it's now called "Access Control".  What variable should I be using in notifications if I want that value?  .ST isn't working, and the wiki page doesn't have something called "Access Control", only items related to user access codes.

I'm not clear why you are reporting on variables if the ZWave device reports status in the admin console? Why not just use that value in your notification?

In either case, you can determine the values and property id of ZWave devices from the command listed below. Just type the command in your browser, replacing x's with your IP address & the main node address with the main node in the admin console (as shown in the example below):

https://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:8443/rest/nodes/n001_81668

You can also find all info by right clicking on the node in the left hand tree of the admin console and selecting Xray, in the next window select Node Info, and then Go.

10 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I'm not clear why you are reporting on variables if the ZWave device reports status in the admin console? Why not just use that value in your notification?

It's a script that I use to pull the status of all the battery-operated devices.  I travel a bunch, and its nice to know what the battery levels are, as historically, "LOWBATT" alarms for ZWave devices are TERRIBLE.

Thanks for the above tip.  I didn't know it existed! This is great.

I was able to find out that the variable that I needed was ALARM, but it appears that ALARM doesn't get properly translated in the notification variable.  I'm using just .ALARM, not .ALARM.RAW, but I'm getting the value 0, instead of Idle.  Perhaps this is something for the developers, @Michel Kohanim

5 hours ago, JSylvia007 said:

It's a script that I use to pull the status of all the battery-operated devices.  I travel a bunch, and its nice to know what the battery levels are, as historically, "LOWBATT" alarms for ZWave devices are TERRIBLE.

Thanks for the above tip.  I didn't know it existed! This is great.

I was able to find out that the variable that I needed was ALARM, but it appears that ALARM doesn't get properly translated in the notification variable.  I'm using just .ALARM, not .ALARM.RAW, but I'm getting the value 0, instead of Idle.  Perhaps this is something for the developers, @Michel Kohanim

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. I receive many status notifications, including battery voltages, from ZWave devices, without having to store them as variables. If the item in question is in the admin console, you can receive the nodes value in a notification without having to create a variable, through the use of email substitutions.

A low battery alarm would most likely send a value of 0, unless it is actively in alarm. Are you sure that is the value you are looking for? 

I would suggest you provide some additional information, maybe even some screenshots showing the admin console node page, along with the output of the node inquiry I posted above, so we can assist you better.

If the battery level is displayed in a node, then all you need is a program and an email customization, to notify you when the battery level drops to a certain value.

image.thumb.jpeg.00ad6afea885fc47bc2c8c6c127ce42a.jpeg

IF

Door Window sensor Battery Level <60%

THEN

Send notification to Mobile content 'Low Battery'

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, DennisC said:

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. I receive many status notifications, including battery voltages, from ZWave devices, without having to store them as variables.

I'm not creating variables.  I was trying to use the EXISTING Variables (as stated here in the EMail and Networking Substitution Variables).  The issue was that the migration CHANGED what the existing variables were, and it wasn't intuitive to what they changed...  In the screenshot below, the item circled in red used to be called "STATUS", but now it's called "ALARM", and I had no way to know that without getting to the behind the scenes stuff.

image.png.39d9543910bb8eb36e4e3e03bbc675da.png

1 hour ago, Techman said:

If the battery level is displayed in a node, then all you need is a program and an email customization, to notify you when the battery level drops to a certain value.

If you take a look above, BATLV wasn't the issue.  The issue was the status.  This is exactly the setup that I have.  I have one program that monitors all the battery devices, and if one of them is below 20%, it calls an email customization that lists all the battery devices, their STATUS (open, closed, etc.), and their current BATLVL.  The problem is that certain devices after the migration no longer had a STATUS, they have an ALARM (but I didn't know it was alarm, and I didn't know how to find it, hence why I asked the question to find out what it might be called).

During zwave migration some zwave device nodes get either renamed or reconfigured. The Aeotec Multisensor 6 Humidity, which normally displayed in the main node window, got moved to its own node called Weather sensor.  It's possible that your STATUS may have moved to its own node and /or got renamed.

Edited by Techman

For anyone coming here with a similar issue, this answer above is the correct answer to determine what properties are called for a given node:

1. Right-Click on the node in the left hand tree of the admin console and select, "Xray".

2. In the new window, change the top-left drop-down from "Node Object" to "Node Info", and click the "Go" button next to it.

3. In the text window below, all of the properties will be shown.  The ID portion at the end of each line is that is needed for the Email Notification Variable Substitutions.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, JSylvia007 said:

I'm not creating variables.  I was trying to use the EXISTING Variables (as stated here in the EMail and Networking Substitution Variables).  The issue was that the migration CHANGED what the existing variables were, and it wasn't intuitive to what they changed...  In the screenshot below, the item circled in red used to be called "STATUS", but now it's called "ALARM", and I had no way to know that without getting to the behind the scenes stuff.

Ok, now I understand my confusion. Just for future reference, the values displayed in the admin console are not variables, they are nodes.

In the admin console, variables are only displayed on the Programs - Variables tab and you have to create them. There are two kinds, Integer & State.

Notification substitution will only display the value. Node servers map the values to verbiage to display words. You could start using UD Mobile and send your notifications via UD Mobile Notifications if it is important to have the notifications in word equivalent of the numbers. UD Mobile has the ability to read map values and you can map a value to a word yourself.

I hope that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Just for future reference, the values displayed in the admin console are not variables, they are nodes.

You're only mostly accurate here.  The values displayed are not nodes...  Nodes are the entities that contain the values...  And while you're correct about Integer and state variables being variables, there are also substitution variables (which is what I was referring to), and is their actual name in the Wiki (link above), is literally "Substitution Variables".

6 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Notification substitution will only display the value.

This is also not accurate.  I recommend that you read the link I actually posted about variable substitution on the Wiki...