Moving from Polisy/994/Zwave/PG2 to eISY/Zwave/PG3

TriLife
Go to solution Solved by TriLife,

Greetings from Colombia;

Finally home for an extended period of time to do said migration and have appropriate shake-down time.

My current set up is:

ISY994 Pro on 5.3.0. with Zwave dongle 500 and a whole bunch of Tasmota/MQTT devices

Polisy PG2 on 2.2.13

I want to migrate to eISY/PG3 with the ZMatterz dongle.

My questions:

1- should I migrate a) from the current set up of 994/Polisy/Zwave500 directly to eISY/PG3 by backing up from Polisy/PG2

OR  b) should I first try to migrate to Polisy/PG3, transferring PG2 to PG3 and zwave500 to ZMatters and then to eISY/PG3/ZMatterz?

2- in case of b) is the Zwave data stored on the ZMatters dongle while on Polisy, or do I need to repeat the steps of migrating Zwave again?

Cheers

@TriLife first thing you will need to do is update the ISY994 to 5.3.4. That's the only path to migrate to IoX.

Before you migrate get the eisy connected and updated to the current version. Links to all current version firmware and how to update can be found in the "Current Release Announcements" area of the forums.

My suggested path would be to migrate directly from ISY994 to eisy. I don't know what "whole bunch of Tasmota/MQTT devices" implies, but Insteon and Zwave migration should be straight forward at this point. You are on your own for the other devices.

Make sure you read through the eisy user guide and pay special attention to the migration instructions:
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide

There are some specific posts for Z-Wave migration pinned in the IoX Support part of the forum. Be sure to review those for your situation. (Note: unsure where it's mentioned, but all Zwave nodes will change their node nomenclature from ZW to ZY)

You CANNOT migrate PG2 node servers to PG3/PG3x. You will need to start fresh with node servers if you are not running any PG3 node servers on the Polisy. There is no migration path from PG2 to PG3/PG3x. You can only migrate PG3 to PG3x. If you've never entered the PG3 side of you Polisy you can see the current list of PG3/PG3x node servers here - https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/ (There is a production store and non-production [beta/test] store. You will probably want to stick with the production store.)

Simple suggestion is to stay focused and target the update/upgrade and migration steps in order. Read the whole process so you know what to expect and steps to do. If/when you run into issue fix only THAT issue. Don't move on to something else thinking that you can fix more later. It's usually easier to fix a system when only ONE thing is not functioning properly. If you go off and have multiple things trying to fix all at once it gets confusing for you and those helping you. 

Note that this is a holiday weekend in the US so not sure how much support there would be through UDI support tickets or activity on the forums. But you know the community is here to help if needed!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Geddy;

Thanks for that information.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, Geddy said:

first thing you will need to do is update the ISY994 to 5.3.4. That's the only path to migrate to IoX.

Done.

Before you migrate get the eisy connected and updated to the current version. Links to all current version firmware and how to update can be found in the "Current Release Announcements" area of the forums.

Unfortunately eisy is not showing up in my IoX finder, not responding to any of the ADDs either. I can SSH into it (dont' worry,  I didn't execute any commands!). It also shows up as NOT ONLINE in my ISY portal... Didn't have much luck with UD Mobile either. Submitted a ticket, let's see what Michel says.

I don't know what "whole bunch of Tasmota/MQTT devices" implies, but Insteon and Zwave migration should be straight forward at this point. You are on your own for the other devices.

I don't have Insteon. About a 100 Sonoff/Tasmotas running on the Polisy's PG2 node server. I started migrating to Polisy 3 at one point, but the tool for Zwave wasn't ready and then I got busy travel without.

Simple suggestion is to stay focused and target the update/upgrade and migration steps in order. Read the whole process so you know what to expect and steps to do. If/when you run into issue fix only THAT issue. Don't move on to something else thinking that you can fix more later. It's usually easier to fix a system when only ONE thing is not functioning properly. If you go off and have multiple things trying to fix all at once it gets confusing for you and those helping you. 

Wise words. I'm now waiting for a reply from UDI to get the eisy on line and up to date.

Will read the remaining migration protocol in the mean time.

HAppy Memorial day weekend

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TriLife said:

Unfortunately eisy is not showing up in my IoX finder, not responding to any of the ADDs either. I can SSH into it (dont' worry,  I didn't execute any commands!). It also shows up as NOT ONLINE in my ISY portal... Didn't have much luck with UD Mobile either. Submitted a ticket, let's see what Michel says.

Bummer! But that's not the first one this week that said they can't find the eisy. At least you can SSH into it so you know it's connected to the network. Is this the first time that you have powered up the eisy? Are you attempting to use wireless or wired connection? 

You said you tried to add it manually. Make sure you use the options in the wiki section for help.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#Can't_Find_eisy

I recall there being one update that didn't allow me to add the eisy.local:8443 address and only allowed the IP:8443 address. 

2 hours ago, TriLife said:

Wise words. I'm now waiting for a reply from UDI to get the eisy on line and up to date.

I'm sure Michel will get you some information to try. Don't go crazy pressing the power button trying to update or reset the networking on it until directed to do so from UDI. I think many will try a bunch of different attempts to fix it and not really know what state the device is in. 

Sorry you ran into issues. 

Hi Geddy,

Yes, that was the first time i powered up the easy.

I started with wired and then tried wifi.

Tried both easy.local:8443/desc and the IP version.

The one nagging feeling I have is that when I tried it with UD Mobile initially, it asked me to scan the QR code on the back. While flipping the unit, i am almost positive i pushed the infamous multi-functi9n power button. I think that puts the unit into update mode...

Oh well, i guess I'll wait for the BBQ weekend to be over...

Or maybe I'll do the transfer from 994/pg2 to Polisy/PG3x...

Cheers 

Good evening. How were the BBQs?

Alright, I am making progress.

After @Michel Kohanim (THANK YOU!) remoted into the eISY and squared away some things (pointing to wrong shared folder), eISY is now with a new BIOS, running 5.6.0. and being recognized by IoX Finder.

I was then able to migrate ISY to PG3x including MOST of the Zwave devices. Some of them showed asleep during the interviewing process, which seems odd, because all of them are powered by USB... I'll chase those down.

It also seems to have migrated MQTT and Davis Node servers, although I can't tell (see below), if it is the PG2 or PG3 version (both were present on the Polisy, although I was using PG2 withthe 994.

The house now seems to have basic funcionality back, as in most motion sensors and Google Home voice controls. But the MQTT works because eisy is sending MQTT messages to Polisy/PG2/MQTT... When I disconnect Polisy, I'm dead in the water...

A few oddities:

1- I cannot log into PG3x on the computer (using http://IP:3000). It gives me a red UNAUTHORIZED message the first time around then No reaction. Using admin/admin as a password. (using Chrome and Brave, latest rev) 

I also tried to change the password from within the admin console as instructed in the eisy:User Guide. No dice.

2- I cannot seem to change the time zone in the Admin Console to the Colombia/Medellin available in the dropdown menu. Nor  does it let me set GMT-5, lat 6.xxxxx, long -75.xxxxxx. It doesn't accept negative longitudes. It does accept 75.xxxxxx, but after that still puts the location as Los Angeles, CA. Neither does it do anything, when I push LOCATE ME...

3- Old problem and not important, more out of curiousity: Why is it that when I change/assign usernames in AdminConsole/File/SetUser&PW, the assigned usernames don't ever show up? Don't know which names where assigned, which slots are taken...

Hopefully I can get the first two points resolved, so I can rebuilt the rest of the sytem: MQTT NS, DAVIS NS, ELK NS, Wake-on-LAN NS, Sonos NS etc...

Overall, quite straight forward. thanks to everyone!

Cheers

Edited by TriLife
added missing information
  • Like 1
  • Solution

Good news,

I'm up and running!

I had to update the Bios first, using SSH

@Michel Kohanimhad to remote in twice, first to fix a pointer to a shared folder, then again to restart UDX.

I was able to update my location with LAT/LONG to get an accurate sunrise/set.

PG3x and eISY worked waaay easier to get MQTT node server up and running. I just had to do the configuration within the node server and all is working. Google home gives voice commands, the Z-wave sensors provide information.

When I migrated the Z-wave devices from Zwave dongle 500 to eisy/Zmatter, most of them reconnected. I only had to sync/update-w-interview a couple of them to help them along.

With the MQTT PG3x Node Server even the analog readings of my Wemos D1 Mini started showing up. That was a problem on PG2.

The only thing I'm still struggling with is the Keypad of the ELK NS. Will get to the bottom of that too, I'm sure.

And, it seems that when using Admin Console/File/Set UserID/PW, it ONLY sets the userid of IoX and PG3x. The SSH credentials remain untouched. Maybe I understood that wrong. I'll have to set those within SSH, I'm guessing.

Thanks again to @Geddy and @Michel Kohanim for your help and patience, even on Memorial day weekend.

MUCH APPRECIATED.

Cheers

Edited by TriLife
added missing information
  • Like 1