On/off outlet not responding to a scene

Jay M

I have a dual outlet 2663-222. The top is for a fountain, and the bottom is for low voltage lights.

The bottom outlet works as expected, but the top one does not.

I want the fountain to be part of a scene that responds to Alexa, an 8-button keypad, and an all lights off scene.

When I press the button on the keypad, the admin console shows that the top outlet is ON, I press it again and it says OFF.  But the outlet isn't actually responding.  If I go directly to the device, I can turn it on and off.  

For now, I can use Alexa if I control the device directly, but not part of a scene.  

I did delete and create a new scene, but that didn't solve the problem.

do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

~Jay

8 hours ago, Jay M said:

I might try to update it.

I didn't ask to ultimately suggest you update. I just wanted a reference point for others to help troubleshoot. Probably 99% of the active users will be on a more current release for the ISY994 or at least used it more recently and didn't want to send you down a path of troubleshooting or fixing based on a firmware you don't run.

If you do make sure which current version your device supports (i.e. do you have/use z-wave?). Also, there is a large change in how scenes are created in 5.x so make sure you read old posts about that. I'm not 100% sure if all of the changes were documented in the wiki and know the ISY Cookbook was written based on 4.x firmware so some of its instructions on scenes is outdated. 

Upgrading to 5.x requires a fair amount of prep and cleanup work. Please prepare accordingly. 

I would troubleshoot as @Techman stated above with a different device to see if the outlet even works as expected generally. It's probably best to fix the issue NOW, on the firmware you have and know, rather than blindly trying to upgrade THEN fixing a problem that you already had.

Thanks for the reply. I did read about updating. I think I’ll wait until it’s an absolute need because it does look like a potential nightmare. 
For now, I’m just using an Alexa routine for the fountain timer. I don’t really need to button to work if Alexa can turn the fountain on and off. 
Tonight I’ll unplug the fountain and low-voltage lights and see if that solves the problem. 
I’d consider dumping Insteon and getting a fresh start with something more modern, but I can’t think of any viable replacements.  Plus, replacing 40+ devices will be very time consuming and not cheap. 
Things Insteon has that I really like:

• keypads
  • Insteon relay that I use to shut off the water main
  • Insteon sensors to tell me if a door is open
  • Insteon leak sensors that can shut off the main water line  and notify me of a leak.
  • The Insteon dual outlet
  • clean IR integration with the 994ir
  • wireless Insteon remote  

What other platform can do all that?

~Jay

Edited by Jay M
37 minutes ago, Jay M said:

Thanks, I'll try that. What exactly does "restore device" do?

Re-writes the links stored in the device.  When a scene is turned on, the Controller might be the ISY or it might be Switch or Button programmed as a scene controller.  Controller and/or Responder links are written to each device so that the device knows if it's a member of a scene etc.   This makes it possible for a scene to  work faster and without the need for the ISY to even be functional.   A controller sends "Scene On" and Responders listen for the command. If a link somehow becomes corrupt in a device it won't respond correctly.  Restoring the device causes the links to be re-written or restored to what the ISY thinks should be there.    If restore device corrects the problem then a link had become corrupt.  There's a complicated method to view the links and manually compare them but only a few people in the forum can read them and give advice whether they are correct or not, so I just suggest blindly re-writing them when it could be an issue.