Doorbell Camera

What is everyone's favorite doorbell camera and why? I know there is a node server for Ring. What all is it capable of doing? I was thinking about getting a Reolink POE doorbell and connecting thought Home Assistant, and using Scrypted. I have a camera DVR I think it will work with to record video. I've heard mixed reviews on the Reolink camera systems. 

I have a Blink camera system including the door bell that I'm mostly happy with but I know they have added fees where I don't have a monthly payment with my older system. I also have some Reolink cameras the I stream to a monitor for constant viewing at home with a NVR connected. I could never get the Reolink motion sensing to work well to use the notification portion of it but other then that I'm happy with the Reolink cameras.

• Thanks 1

Lorex B451AJD-E ($100 when on sale) 

PROS: White color, no recurring extortion fee, on device storage, NVR is optional, remote notification/view/answer, multiple simultaneous RTSP streams, works with Homebridge.  Did I mention, no recurring extortion fee?

CONS: No public API

Same as:

Amcrest AD410 (only in black, but has a documented API)

Dahua DH-DB6I (only in black, but has a documented API)

CAUTION:  I have three, but only two are wired to an existing mechanical chime.  The third is wired directly off the same 24V/30VA transformer.  Yes, I measured the current draw and I am not even close to exceeding the ratings of the transformer. Lorex tech support will not advise powering three off a single transformer, but they are reading off a script. I could not convince them how to measure current and calculate power (P=V*A).    If wired up directly to a 24V/30VA transformer without a mechanical/electronic chime, do not select a chime option during setup or it will blow an internal surface mount fuse when you press the button.  This is not made clear in the setup instructions and there is no way to change the chime selection after setup.  I blew two, but Lorex sent me replacements no charge.  

IMG_1262.jpeg.d1ad86d323089245b83e1a0da5f78794.jpegIMG_1263.jpeg.f35eaf81ae886fc6df97b5b11bd006e7.jpegIMG_1401.jpeg.e47671af7b378aec87b6b41ac6d2d435.jpeg

To make up for a lack of a Lorex public API, I added an adjustable current sensing relay and wired to one of my ELK zones since the ELK-930 doorbell detector does not work with higher current draw video doorbells.  I really don't need to receive a notification every time a palm frond shadow moves or a lizard crawls across the steps, just when someone presses the doorbell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFWWPP7

image.jpeg.a678645b826028d66e20a22212928b0a.jpeg

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, xlurkr said:

Did you avoid the other versions with the APIs because they don't come in white?  And I'm assuming you tried the other APIs on the Lorex unit, and they don't work?

-Tom

You must not live in a hot tropical climate.  The Lorex models were significantly less expensive and yes they came in white.  A public API is not important to me, but might be to others.  

From what I was told, there are some minor internal differences between manufacturers that you simply cannot flash the firmware from one model to another.  The Lorex units intentionally disable API ports, confirmed using NMAP.  

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Thanks 1

There are other alternatives that give you all the same functionality and more.  In my case, the wife would only allow a standard doorbell button - no ring, blink, etc.  I use a standard button linked to a Mobotix Q26 mounted in the front porch ceiling.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d276bf479f6af5b03f3704365e98454.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b161fcdae4a3dee18f82558f10d65154.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I have a front door light that is on a schedule Dusk to 11PM. I also have a Reolink Doorbell. Camera is configured for motion and records. Is there a way to have the front light come on when the Reolink records? Any way of linking the two functions?

Thanks 

Bob

34 minutes ago, Byteman59 said:

I have a front door light that is on a schedule Dusk to 11PM. I also have a Reolink Doorbell. Camera is configured for motion and records. Is there a way to have the front light come on when the Reolink records? Any way of linking the two functions?

Thanks 

Bob

Assuming this is the model, it supports ONVIF and GA. https://reolink.com/us/product/reolink-video-doorbell-wifi/#specifications   I would think you could receive motion events via one to turn on the light.  

Reolink API link available on their forum.  

https://community.reolink.com/topic/4196/reolink-camera-api-user-guide_v8-updated-in-april-2023?lang=en-US

Home Assistant already has support.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/reolink/

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Byteman59 said:

Yes, that is the camera. Can you give an example on something like that could be configured on the ISY994?

First time for me doing something like this.

Doesn't look like there is an existing ONVIF node server for the ISY.  

https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/221-polyglot-v3-pg3/

You would have to bake your own or use Home Assistant integrations 

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/isy994/

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/reolink/

5 hours ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I stand corrected, there might be a camera node server.  I've never used it

That is 5 years old, and not on PG3.. anyways looks like it just used to sense motion from a particular camera.

I use Home Assistant and use the UniFi integration. I was easily able make an automation which takes a snapshot from the doorbell triggerd by when a particular user unlocks the zwave lock (in this case, a home care worker for my mother in-law). It then emails to myself and my wife. UniFi integration also exposes pretty much everything as entities eg. Motion, Object Detection etc. which then you can do whatever you want with them in automations.

image.png.7fa3e41eff5179dd1442ff6fb318ffd6.png

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I stand corrected, there might be a camera node server.  I've never used it

I no longer use this which is why I never updated to PG3, but always wanted to write a camera nodeserver that supports onvif, just never enough time. I had switched to blue iris and used that nodeserver but now I use Camect and wrote a nodeserver for it.

• Thanks 1
On 5/31/2023 at 1:56 PM, Dishboy007 said:

What is everyone's favorite doorbell camera and why? I know there is a node server for Ring. What all is it capable of doing? I was thinking about getting a Reolink POE doorbell and connecting thought Home Assistant, and using Scrypted. I have a camera DVR I think it will work with to record video. I've heard mixed reviews on the Reolink camera systems. 

Scrypted doesn't really connect to Home assistant, it is designed to stream to HomeKit, Google etc.. It has home assistant integration for NVR status or something but nothing really direct.

I have the addon setup in my Home Assistant OS (for convenience, can be installed in another server etc.) and works perfect with HomeKit. I get HKSV, person detection, animal detection and I have 13 UniFi cameras connected to it with 10 setup as HKSV (three indoor I don't need HKSV).

You want to look at frigate for NVR. 

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 1