Two (dimmer) switches, same circuit, different lights -- Can I link?

ctviggen1

I have a bedroom with a single (fan) light in the middle of the room.  I have access to the attic and want to install 4 of these (thin LED "recessed" lights) around the fan light:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M68DL8F/?coliid=IVIWLLVRBLEYC&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

The fan light is controlled by Insteon (dimmer switch) and uses 2 halogen bulbs (my experience with LED replacements is that they die early, due to no heat escape I think).  The switch is near the door when you enter.

I want to put an Insteon (dimmer) switch on the opposite wall, adjacent to a closet.  I have power (to run the closet's lights) on the same circuit, neutral, etc.  This switch would directly control the 4 LED lights.

I'd like to link these two switches so that when one is turned on or off, the other does the same thing. In other words, when I use the switch connected to the 4 LED lights, they come on, but so does the fan light. Similarly, when I turn on the fan light, the 4 LED lights come on.  Dimming would be the same:  dim one, dim the other.

I assume it's no issue to link the two Insteon switches to do this, correct?  Any possible issues, say with dimming or anything else?

Notes:

I have a new EISY system.

I could use the single fan light switch to also control the 4 LED lights, by running the cable for the 4 LED lights into the fan box.  The problem is that I'd have to replace the fan box for various reasons.  That takes the project from a day or so to multiple days. 

I also cannot run wire to where the single fan light switch is, as it's in a 4 gang box that is packed with 3 Insteon switches and 1 Zwave (for the fan), and so many wires that it's hard to fit everything in there.  (Meets code requirements, though, at least when the electricians did this.)

18 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

I have a bedroom with a single (fan) light in the middle of the room.  I have access to the attic and want to install 4 of these (thin LED "recessed" lights) around the fan light:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M68DL8F/?coliid=IVIWLLVRBLEYC&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

The fan light is controlled by Insteon (dimmer switch) and uses 2 halogen bulbs (my experience with LED replacements is that they die early, due to no heat escape I think).  The switch is near the door when you enter.

I want to put an Insteon (dimmer) switch on the opposite wall, adjacent to a closet.  I have power (to run the closet's lights) on the same circuit, neutral, etc.  This switch would directly control the 4 LED lights.

I'd like to link these two switches so that when one is turned on or off, the other does the same thing. In other words, when I use the switch connected to the 4 LED lights, they come on, but so does the fan light. Similarly, when I turn on the fan light, the 4 LED lights come on.  Dimming would be the same:  dim one, dim the other.

I assume it's no issue to link the two Insteon switches to do this, correct?  Any possible issues, say with dimming or anything else?

Notes:

I have a new EISY system.

I could use the single fan light switch to also control the 4 LED lights, by running the cable for the 4 LED lights into the fan box.  The problem is that I'd have to replace the fan box for various reasons.  That takes the project from a day or so to multiple days. 

I also cannot run wire to where the single fan light switch is, as it's in a 4 gang box that is packed with 3 Insteon switches and 1 Zwave (for the fan), and so many wires that it's hard to fit everything in there.  (Meets code requirements, though, at least when the electricians did this.)

Yes. It's no different than linking any other set of lights

Edited by lilyoyo1

17 hours ago, Goose66 said:

Halogen bulbs may be a problem for Insteon. They are noisy. 

I had not heard that before.   Can you please explain why/how  they are noisy?

Edited by ELA

I personally have not had any Insteon issues with these halogen bulbs.  They are, however, the only incandescent lights I have in the entire house (other than in appliances), and I only have them because LED equivalents tend to die quickly in this enclosed space. 

I do see that some of the new LEDs say they can be placed in an enclosed space.  So, I may try again. 

In terms of turning on/off Insteon lights, I haven't had issues.  I'm not sure about dimming, because even though I have a dimmer switch on the halogen bulbs, I've never actually dimmed them.  (In fact, that's WHY I'm adding 4 LEDs too -- there's not enough light, so no need to dim an overhead fan light.  Once I have 5 lights in the room, maybe then I'll dim.)