How I saved 50% off my Water Bill last Summer

rgs455returns

I used the ISY to control our sprinkler system last summer which saved us 50% off the water bill and saved thousands of gallons of water! This was done using, ISY programs, ISY Climate Module. IO device Sprinkler control, Input device, and a Vegetronix Soil probe.

http://www.vegetronix.com/Soil-Moisture-Probe.phtml

ISY has a "Climate Module" that gathered weather information programed to our local Elementary School who has a server and a weather station. I had 6 weather stations to pick from in our community. Every city has stations to choose from. SO we have local weather data Points to make decision points on when to water. We live in Colorado were the weather conditions are dry and windy.

I set the ISY program to water everyday if ALL the conditions were met.

Did it rain today? If so how much?

How hot was it? I have 5 different watering levels based on the temperature from the day before.

Is it windy? If it is windy, I would have the system wait until later and try again.

Is the soil moisture level calling for water?

When it did water, I set-up an email that was sent to me to let me know how much water was applied from the 5 different watering levels as report or confirmation.

So the sprinkler system would only water when I had a REAL need for water. This was fun to set-up and easy to use.

I had other ISY programs to "test" the sprinklers to make sure they were working correctly as well as the Drip system and sprayers. I used my IPhone to turn "on" sprinkler zones from the yard instead of running back and forth to the garage.

The Vegetronix Probe will needed to be placed about 3/4 of an inch "parallel" to the ground, NOT perpendicular or straight into the ground. It will always read 100% wet. This will give you a reading of the water level in the roots.

I am using only one sensor which is currently located in the front. The downside of this location which was "planted" in the lawn during spring which turned out to be too wet and a bit shady location. So the voltage range was limited. 5 volts= wet and 4.2 volts= needed water. This became apparent during the heat of August. The best location in the front was too far away to reach. I am going move the sensor to the backyard in a sunny location.

I look forward to sharing this with you and your comments.

Bill

Bill,

Great post, I'm very interested in the details. I'm having to use Homeseer with a sprinkler pro program currently.

I would love to see an example of your code and setup, I have the rain8 modules because they have hardware type guaranteed run times. I fear the easy-rain modules might fail on? I've also requested they pick up future data from the weather sites, why water if there is a 100% chance of rain tomorrow?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the note. The weather can be predicted a bit by many of the data points of the Climate Module i.e. Bar pressure and Dew Point. The programs nothing special but I will include some below as an example. The key item for the ISY was that I ran the programs at 11:50 pm because the Climate Module would refresh with new data at Midnight. So I had the watering decision wait 4 hour until the next morning.

Keep in mind the decisions are the ones listed in my note above. Did it rain today?

This program runs the zones for the medium water level

If

- No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then

Set 'COM' On

Wait 5 seconds

Set 'Front West' On

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Front West' Off

Set 'COM' Off

Wait 5 seconds

Set 'COM' On

Set 'Front East' On

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Front East' Off

Set 'COM' Off

Wait 5 seconds

Set 'COM' On

Set 'Back East' On

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Back East' Off

Set 'COM' Off

Wait 5 seconds

Set 'COM' On

Set 'Back South' On

Wait 11 minutes

Set 'Back South' Off

Set 'COM' Off

Wait 5 seconds

Set 'COM' On

Set 'Back North' On

Wait 11 minutes

Set 'Back North' Off

Set 'COM' Off

Send Notification to All

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I made programs that ran other programs based on a decision. This one ran a low temp program if the probe was ON. It sent an email if no water was needed.

If

Status 'Input Sensor' is On

Then

Run Program 'Sprinkler Decision 68' (If)

Else

Send Notification to All

The programs are simple and can be made to your need.

Short of sending all of them this gives you the info to set them up for your location on your lawn! I hope this helps!

Bill

I am using the SimpleHomeNet EZIO8SA 3011A for the relays. The Inputs do not work on this device. I would suggest using the EZFlora INSTEON/X10 Sprinkler Controller for the relays at a lower cost. YOu will need a 24 VAC power pack. I bought mine at Ace Hardware.

As it relates to the input I would use the relay board and IO Linc 2450. The EZFlora can be placed were your current sprinkler box is located. THen the IO Linc can be closer to the soil sensor. I am moving this to the back yard for shorter run of wires to dry areas in the lawn.

I have ended the programs with sending an email. This is confirmation that it did in fact finish. I did not have any problems with the programs not running to the end. In the program you can see where I stopped each zone for 5 seconds. This was to provide better water pressure at the valve. The Values come to a complete stop and a better start. This is real nice when YOU have control over what is happening.

Thanks bill I see there is another thread with more technical stuff about the eZflora I see it does have hard programmable timers. I'm excited enough to buy one and try it. Sounds promising though it seems they are not using actual hardware relays which is unfortunate :(

I was not aware the EZFlora INSTEON/X10 Sprinkler Controller did not have real relays. Did you check with Smarthome for some other alternatives that would have real relays? Short of 6 or 8 2450s. The EZFlora most likely would handle the load without any trouble. I am just old fashioned about relays.

I would also check with the ISY tech team on the use or access to the timers. You can see above how I used the ISY program timing waits. I would run that timer program again with fewer minutes the second time an hour later. It nice to have that full control over the programing! You might have a zone under a tree that is shady and you can skip that zone.

It's fun to think about summer! We had 4" of snow this morning!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I posted this over a year ago and I had some trouble with the vegrtronics sensor. SO this year I tried the Digitalsun.com sensor. It is a "wireless" sensor which worked well BUT It stopped working a few weeks ago. I wrote the company and I am still waiting for a reply. I can keep you posted on my progress. My lawn never looked better this year! Perfect working levels all summer long! AMAZING.

Bill

Archived