ZWave devices non-functional after some sort of crash

AKAPADIA

A weird thing occurred this evening while I was out of the house. I got a bunch of notifications on my UD Mobile app that nodeservers were going offline. Various systems stopped working that depended on the nodeservers. I got home and went to the admin console and noticed that all my programs had disappeared. The top level node was empty. I restored from a backup but the ZWave devices are missing. When I click and do a Query on a ZWav devices I get an error dialog "TCP client read response failed". Other devices just say "Request Failed"

I tried healing the ZWave network and rebooting and updating the system to the latest firmware, disabling and reenabling zwave support in IoX, rebooting and restarting the system, but the zwave functionality remains broken. Nothing in the zway.log jumped out at me. The failure has affected switches, thermostats, open/close sensors, pretty much everything.

When I reboot I get a long system busy dialog and then a bunch of zwave device not awake messages.

Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do here. 

The problem happened with 5.6.2. I am running a Polisy with ZMatter ZWave. One of the things I did to try and fix it was upgrade to the latest firmware and so I am now running 5.6.3. I did not have a ZWave backup - I didn't realize that I needed to do that separately from backing everything else up, unfortunately. 

Does this mean I have to delete and reinstall all my dozens of ZWave devices and fix up the programs manually :-(?

Even if I have to reinstall the devices, if I could preserve the node ID it would be very useful

Edited by AKAPADIA
11 minutes ago, AKAPADIA said:

The problem happened with 5.6.2. I am running a Polisy with ZMatter ZWave. One of the things I did to try and fix it was upgrade to the latest firmware and so I am now running 5.6.3. I did not have a ZWave backup - I didn't realize that I needed to do that separately from backing everything else up, unfortunately. 

Does this mean I have to delete and reinstall all my dozens of ZWave devices and fix up the programs manually :-(?

Even if I have to reinstall the devices, if I could preserve the node ID it would be very useful

You might want to hold tight and monitor this space. I have a Polisy with the Zmatter board also and my Zwave stopped working after the 5.6.3 upgrade. I have an open ticket with UD support.

1 minute ago, AKAPADIA said:

No, I get a full ZWave menu; where would I see that message of not responding?

In my case, I get that instead of the menu. So sounds like a different issue for me. My case is odd because I followed the standard upgrade process and I seem to be the only one having this problem. I'm suspecting hardware failure.

Thanks @Techman. Interestingly, after the power on recycle the errors have become more weird. When I query a light switch for its state, I get the dialog box picture attached.

After the reboot, it seems to be querying all devices and saying "device xy is not awake" - it seems to think all the devices are asleep.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 093521.jpg

Edited by AKAPADIA
More information added

I reinstalled some thermostats and wall switches and they work ok. My battery operated Zooz open/close sensors, however, don't seem to work even after delete and reinstall. So I'm wondering if there is a breaking change in the new 5.6.3 update.

Edited by AKAPADIA
23 hours ago, AKAPADIA said:

I reinstalled some thermostats and wall switches and they work ok. My battery operated Zooz open/close sensors, however, don't seem to work even after delete and reinstall. So I'm wondering if there is a breaking change in the new 5.6.3 update.

In my case, something was definitely wrong with the 5.6.3 update. UD Support helped me downgrade to 5.6.2 because we could not get 5.6.3 to work with Zwave on my Polisy with Zmatter. 5.6.2 is running fine once again, although dummy here accidentally reset to factory settings and I thought IoX backup also backed up Zwave--WRONG! Zwave backup is separate and on the Zwave menu, so I had none. I had to add everything back again, which was rather painful for the battery devices.

Battery devices have always been challenging for me. I just bring them all reasonably close to the Polisy and make sure to keep them awake during their interview. For some of my devices, this took quite a long time. In a couple cases I had to exclude and re-include because the interview never succeeded. UD Support noticed a Zooz outlet on my network whose frequent power meter reports were likely interfering with the device interviews, so you might check the event log to see if anything is chatting up your network.

As usual, UD support is top notch and the product is generally rock solid.