Z-Wave Device Initial Naming and Icons

mmb
Go to solution Solved by mmb,

Just curious how the device names and icons are determined in IOX.

I installed an Aeotec temperature and humidity sensor and as expected I ended up with 13 devices.

One of the devices is called Multisensor and it gives me the temperature and dew point. The icon is a temperature bar graph.

Humidity is listed under another device called Weather Sensor with a light bulb icon.

The Aeotec device parameters are listed under Heat Alarm with a bell icon.

And on and on for 10 more.

I know you can rename the devices to something more appropriate.  Is there a way to change the icons?

Which brings me to my question how the initial names and icons are determined in IOX?

Also please excuse any misuse of terminology, new to the world of z-wave.

Anybody know?

Thanks...

• Solution

Chris Jahn kindly provided the following:

Z-Wave Device Initial Naming and Icons

Z-Wave functionality is broken up into command classes, and from there we have a fixed setting for which node a status value or command will appear.  For example, there are several multisensor types such as air conditioning, air quality, health, movement, weather,  etc. all of which can be supported in one device.

The weather node, for example, would have temperature, rain rate, barometric pressure, etc.

Ignore the light bulb icon.

The light bulb is the default icon if there is not specific icon defined for a particular node type. 

Did Aeotec name their Parameter Setting function Heat Alarm or is this a misassociation in IOX?  Of course I can rename to something more appropriate.

Battery level and configuration parameters always go to the primary node of the device (i.e. ZY056_1) rather than their own nodes.  This is done to reduce the total number of nodes for a device, which can be substantial anyway depending on the device.

• Like 2