Dimmer switch communication problems only on 1 cirtcuit.

We've had a dimmer for a while.  It has recently started to be occasionally unresponsive.  Turns on ok via ISY but when asked to turn off, not consistent.

I decided to swap it out for a ToggleLinc Relay.  That just shows as unresponsive completely.  I took the Toggle Linc and connected it to another circuit on the house and it works fine.

Any advice?

2 hours ago, ThisIsTheWay said:

We've had a dimmer for a while.  It has recently started to be occasionally unresponsive.  Turns on ok via ISY but when asked to turn off, not consistent.

I decided to swap it out for a ToggleLinc Relay.  That just shows as unresponsive completely.  I took the Toggle Linc and connected it to another circuit on the house and it works fine.

Any advice?

Sounds like a lot of noise from your bulbs. This is why it turns on but not always off and why the togglelinc doesnt work at all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 2:33 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

Sounds like a lot of noise from your bulbs. This is why it turns on but not always off and why the togglelinc doesnt work at all.

Had no issue for years.  Now all of a sudden intermittent issues.

The circuit has a lamp with some led bulbs and a 12v transformer....

Does toggleinc not have RF communication?

Edited by ThisIsTheWay

51 minutes ago, ThisIsTheWay said:

Had no issue for years.  Now all of a sudden intermittent issues.

What's "fun" is many will ask "what have you "plugged in"/added recently, but it's just as likely that something could have gone bad or going bad and causing noise. Some have found the kitchen appliances suddenly add noise when they're operating. Even cellphone bricks have been issues for noise. It's possible @lilyoyo1 is correct in that you've got a noise issue given how you describe your issue.

This post by @MrBill describes a good method of trying to track down the noise maker.

12v transformer....

I'd start by disconnecting that and testing without it.

If the problem is localized to one circuit and you already know that then unplug, unscrew, disconnect everything on the circuit, then add back one at a time.

• Like 1

Had no issue for years.  Now all of a sudden intermittent issues

Doesn't statements like this apply to everything that stops working? The transformer could be putting noise on the line or the electronics from the bulb as they age. While both still work for what they designed to do, doesn't mean it can't impact other devices that may be susceptible to the effect. 

Does toggleinc not have RF communication?

No it does not. It's powerline only

• Like 1