Transferring ISY99 X10 Module to new 2nd-hand ISY99

isy99user

I very much suspect the answer to this is "upgrade to an eISY"... but just in case.

I've been a *very* happy ISY99 + X10 + Networking modules since ~2009.

Recently I purchased, as a back-up, a 2nd-hand ISY99.

That 2nd-hand unit is working fine... but it is missing the X10 and Networking Modules.

I know those modules are no longer available from the website.

Is there any other way to add those modules to my 2nd-hand ISY99?

I note my original ISY doesn't have an external SD card slot, but the 2nd-hand one does.  If my original ISY dies, if I open it up, will I find an SD card inside it, and if yes, can I move that to the 2nd hand ISY to move over the modules and the config?

P.S. I still run an all X10 network and after adding the XTBR High-Power Plug-in X10 Repeater reliability has been very very good.  Right now I can't afford to replace all my X10 devices with INSTEON so I can only use an eISY if it is X10 compatible - I have an X10 capable 2412S PLM which is working fine (and a spare!)

Are you sure your "new" one isn't a 994? I don't believe udi is transferring modules anymore; especially when it comes to the 99 which has been disco'd for 10+ years. Unfortunately you're stuck with your setup as is. 

Eisy should work with x10- you just won't have the devices in the device tree like the module allows. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1

The ISY994i was also discontinued early this year. Modules where discontinued 06/01/2023 as was free support from UDI. https://www.universal-devices.com/byebye994/

Your 2412S PLM will not work with an eisy. As it is power line only and has unregulated +12 volts on the serial cable along with being serial. Depending on its hardware revision. Small link database of 417 or large link database of >2000 that an ISY994i had trouble with ~800 and above.

The eisy uses a USB connection. They do sell a USB to serial kit for a 2413S. I don't see X10 listed on it sales page. https://www.universal-devices.com/product/eisy-home/

From what I have read here. You can use an ISY994i backup file into an eisy. If it is a specific firmware revision. That definitely will not be in an old ISY99i that discontinued firmware at 3.3.10.

Edited by Brian H
Add information

I would definitely check the model number of both units.  As the article mentioned the ISY99i had no SD card slot while newer units had an SD card slot. The ISY99i used an SD card while the ISY994i a Micro SD card. So if the second unit is a ISY994i the ISY99i SD card will not fit.

Here is the data on the ISY99i replacement of the SD card.    https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing/Formatting_an_SD_Card

The modules are in the unit itself and referenced to the units UUID number. I don't think you can transfer the modules. By moving the SD card unit to unit or using a backup file from the original unit.

Edited by Brian H
Add information
19 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Eisy should work with x10- you just won't have the devices in the device tree like the module allows. 

Does that mean that X10 devices won't appear in the web interface either?

And what does this mean for programming?  I guess I won't see the user friendly names I currently have for each of the X10 addresses?

1 hour ago, isy99user said:

Does that mean that X10 devices won't appear in the web interface either?

And what does this mean for programming?  I guess I won't see the user friendly names I currently have for each of the X10 addresses?

I don't use X10 nor the app so I can't answer those questions. 

The isy wiki shows how X10 works without the module you have and what it allows you to do. Without the module you would not be able to name your X10 devices like you can now. 

• Like 1

The PRO ISY99i will have the added choices to turn off automatic updates to modules and RF modules. So you can do them individually. Also has a larger allowed database size so more addresses can be used. Though that may not be an X10 also sized database.

I have not seen anything on a Micro SD card in any ISY99i but they do have an adapter in some SD card kits or separate purchase. To let you use a Micro SD card in a full sized SD card slot.