Motion Sensor Recommendations

toddlock

I am looking for recommendations for a motion sensor to detect raccoons that are tearing up my grass. I have a program to turn on the outdoor lights and sprinkler to scare them away; however, I’m having trouble getting my Zwave Ecolink Motion Sensor to work correctly.

I have an eisy with the ZMatter Zwave 700 series.

I would be delighted to hear if anyone has found a reliable Motion Sensor that works well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I assume you need a weatherproof motion detector, unless you have racoons running around the inside of your house  😉.  Or you have maybe an eave where weather cant get to it.

I dont think the Aeotec is an outdoor rated sensor but I may be wrong.

I have motions inside the house.  I have motions in my outdoor floodlights.   But no standalone motions on the exterior.

There isnt alot out there classified as a zwave outdoor motion.  If I were to consider buying one though I would look at the Zooz Outdoor motion sensor.  There may be some options on the Zigbee side to look at but you would need to ensure supported by eisy.  I know Hue has one as well.

TheA2Z, 

Thanks for the incite, Yes this would be outside, and I agree there are a few options. I did try Zooz ZSE29 and had to return it because I couldn't get it to connect to eisy. It connected at first, and then I dropped off, and no matter what I did trying to connect and disconnect it, I could never get it to work. I spent hours and finally threw in the towel and sent it back. 

I'll look at the Zigbee now. 

16 minutes ago, toddlock said:

TheA2Z, 

Thanks for the incite, Yes this would be outside, and I agree there are a few options. I did try Zooz ZSE29 and had to return it because I couldn't get it to connect to eisy. It connected at first, and then I dropped off, and no matter what I did trying to connect and disconnect it, I could never get it to work. I spent hours and finally threw in the towel and sent it back. 

I'll look at the Zigbee now. 

@toddlock  Yeah I dont think it is zwave 700 so shorter range.

You could go this route, but wouldnt be connected to home automation: Motion Activated Sprinkler - Yard Enforcer – OrbitOnline:

@toddlock is there anyway you could add a Ring camera (Floodlight or Spotlight)? You could then use the Ring node server and the motion from that to trigger other device. The Ring lights can be another deterrent or you can set them not to come on and only blast the sprinklers  

I have a floodlight cam that triggers lights on motion in the middle of the night. So far it has worked really well. 

• 1 month later...