Zooz ZSE29 Outdoor Sensors

Tom Carmody

I am having a heck of a time getting the subject sensors up and running on my eISY  network.  The UDI Mobile only will not fully load all of the features and won't show the motion status.  When I use Admin Console, it takes a number of tries to get it to seemingly fully load.  When it partially loads, I have to exclude the previous inclusion.  

When I get it to load fully (or at least that what is seems because all of the features become available (power level, luminance reading, motion, etc.) it works perfectly in test mode but once it's mounted and the tamper switch is depressed, it freezes up and will not detect motion.  

I contacted Zooz and although they responded quickly, they haven't been able to help because they are not familiar with UDI and don't have an eISY in their lab.  I have reset, reloaded, tried lower level of security, tried no security, and answered lot's of their questions.  Because I'm having problems with all three of my sensors, they don't believe the problem is with the sensors.  I have a little Zooz ZSE18 indoor sensor that is working well with my eISY.

Has anybody had success with the ZSE29 on an eISY network?

Thanks.  

What's your eisy firmware and UI versions?

Are you using the Zwave Zmatter dongle?

If you bring the sensor close to the eisy and link it do all the nodes show up?

It's possible that you may have marginal communications between the sensor and the eisy. How many other a/c powered Zwave devices do you have installed?

Thanks for your quick reply.

What's your eisy firmware and UI versions?  IoX v.5.6.3

Are you using the Zwave Zmatter dongle?  Yes

If you bring the sensor close to the eisy and link it do all the nodes show up?  I started at about 20 feet away (one story up and moved to 1 foot away.  At 20 feet, I only saw a couple of nodes show up.  At 1 foot sometimes I'd get the same two nodes and other times I'd get all of them.  After I took it out of test mode and it experienced an immediate freeze, I would exclude/remove the device and try it again.  I did notice that pressing the tamper button three times every 20 seconds or so (which wakes up or keeps awake the sensor) gave me a much greater possibility of loading all of the nodes.  With or without the pressing of the tamper button 3 times, if all of the nodes appeared, it would say writing and stay on writing until I right clicked the device name in the left-hand column and then left clicked write changes.  

It's possible that you may have marginal communications between the sensor and the eisy. How many other a/c powered Zwave devices do you have installed?  Besides the two sensors I tried to load, all I have on this network is a door lock.

Line powered Zwave devices also act as Zwave repeaters, battery powered devices don't.

Zwave is a mesh network, similar to Insteon. Depending on the distance your sensor is located from the eisy you'll mostly need a Zwave repeater. Take a look at the Aeotec range extender 7.

Range Extender 7 – Aeotec

It sounds like you not putting the sensor into the linking mode. Check your manual for instructions. Most battery-operated devices, when put into the linking/inclusion mode, will stay awake for about 4 minutes.

Thanks.  I could use the Aeotec Extender for the second motion sensor but the first one is less than two feet away from the eISY on the other side of a wall.  I'll double check the linking/inclusion mode.  The motion sensors are powered by a USB cord so there's no battery so the close one will act nicely to help the second sensor (also USB powered).

48 minutes ago, Tom Carmody said:

Should I be more patient?  How long should it take for a ZSE29 to be included and written into Admin Console?

There isn't a lot of feedback to let you know anything is happening, so I use the Diagonstics/Event Viewer to reassure me something is actually happening.

2 hours ago, Steve L said:

I had to add my ZSE29s in the "non-secure" mode to get it to work. After that, they are fine, though I'm not seeing battery level notifications from them after months.

It's possible that the device only reports a low battery alert.

From zooz support:

What voltages should the battery report for 100% and when there is a low battery alert?

3.2V - 3V is a full battery (100%) and the Z-Wave chip manufacturer requires all Z-Wave devices to report low battery at 2.6V.

• Thanks 1