Water shut off valve recommendations

5 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

I believe that the Z-Wave Water Cop has been retired from their product line.

Ya seems like it. I also remember hearing some sort of story that a bunch of these Watercops were made for certain projects or reseller contracts which didn't work out for whatever reason, and ended up being resold at discount.. probably where mine came from.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 10:59 PM, Jimbo.Automates said:

I currently use Zooz Z-Wave Water Valve Actuator on some of my water ball valves.  Now I'm getting all the plumbing changed and considering a full Z-Wave, Zigbee or WiFi ball valve, even possibly Phyn or Moen Flo.  I've done a little research on all, but still leaning towards keeping manual valves with the Zooz since they are easy to override when necessary, and replace when they go bad.  I already have a Z-Wave flow meter installed so Phyn/Moen are not really necessary.  Just wondering if anyone else has recommendations.

I have just started using these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0851DYWBH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $30, you can’t beat them. 

What Z-Wave flow meter are you using?  I am working on that project today and trying to find one.

2 hours ago, Jim P said:

Has anyone thought of using an irrigation system water control valve ?

They are cheap and seem to work well for irrigation systems.

You mean like a "sprinkler valve"?  They are cheap for a reason, I replace one every couple years when the diaphragm goes.  Also they are designed to be "off" most of the time rather than on. The solenoid is off when water isn't flowing and powered when water is flowing.   I would think the solenoid would over heat but the worst case is f left on too long in areas with high mineral water, they won't shut off when needed and during a power fail they will fail off I think.

7 hours ago, CoolToys said:

You mean like a "sprinkler valve"?  They are cheap for a reason, I replace one every couple years when the diaphragm goes.  Also they are designed to be "off" most of the time rather than on. The solenoid is off when water isn't flowing and powered when water is flowing.   I would think the solenoid would over heat but the worst case is f left on too long in areas with high mineral water, they won't shut off when needed and during a power fail they will fail off I think.

@Jim P Yeah, you can't use an irrigation valve.  They consume power to stay on.  I suspect the solenoid would burn out being on so much and if the power went out your water would shut off.  You need a mechanically actuated ball valve.

Edited by apostolakisl
  • Like 1