eisy Migration went well (with some exceptions) Seeking Advice

chris.com

Last night I made the switch over to eisy. I was really impressed with how easy the Alexa spoken commands migration was. For the most part it went well except for the following:

• I'm all Insteon except for the deadbolt on my front door. It's a Schlage Connect ZWave. I followed the procedure spelled out in the wiki for backing up and restoring Zwave devices. The first attempt to "update with interview" failed. I believe the lock may have been asleep. Just for confidence I put fresh batteries in it, woke it up, and tried it again. I had success in that the lock now shows up and I can lock and unlock the door. (That's the important part.) But the feature that allows you to change the lock's settings including adding and deleting codes is no longer there. I can lock and unlock and that's it. I suppose I can remove it and re-add it to the system, but I'd like to avoid that if possible because it's a real hassle.
  • I failed at performing the migration on UD Mobile. The instructions were difficult for me to understand and I'm sure I did something wrong. I decided to wipe the whole thing out and start over. That's a hassle because I lost all my favorites I worked on for so long, but I have been wanting to re-imagine the favorites screen anyway so I'm okay with it. It seems like what would be more helpful and straightforward is if there were a way to restore only the favorites portion from a backup file.
  • I used to get a web page when I would point my browser to the isy's IP address. I no longer do on the eisy. I tired the various combinations and permutations of http, https, port 80, port 8080, etc. I got nuthin'. Is that web page no longer a thing on the eisy or am I doing something wrong?
  • I tried dipping my toe into polyglot nodes. (DiscIaimer: Until today I have ZERO experience with polyglot nodes.) I have a home security system that uses Honeywell TotalConnect 2 and I have a Rachio sprinkler controller. I was able to install the nodes for each from the PG3x Node Server Store. I configured TotalConnect with my login info, and I got a API key from Rachio and put that in. Voila! Both items showed up in the eisy admin console. Cool! All of my alarm zones are listed and all of my sprinkler zones are listed. Very cool. The problem is, none of them works. Each item shows up with a status of "Locked" (regardless of its actual status) and a Battery Level status of 100%. Does the eisy think these items are locks? So it has the various items all listed out, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be anything functional about the nodes as they are presented in the eisy console. I found it interesting that except for the name, the screens for these items look exactly like my Schlage lock's not-fully-functional screen.  Not sure if that's indicative of some higher level problem that may be limiting the eisy's ability to correctly ascertain what type of device it's talking to.

Anyway... I'm always super-grateful for the helpful advice I've benefited from in the UD forums. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

Universal Devices Administrative Console 2023-09-13 07-55-17.png

Edited by chris.com
typo

Did you restart the Admin Console after installing the node servers?

The Admin Console only reads the node definition information when it starts so after a node server is installed and sends it's node definition information to the IoX, the Admin Console needs to restart in order to read it.

From the screen shot, it looks like the Admin Console doesn't know how to display the nodes so it's just displaying random stuff. (looks like a lock device node is being displayed)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

Did you restart the Admin Console after installing the node servers?

The Admin Console only reads the node definition information when it starts so after a node server is installed and sends it's node definition information to the IoX, the Admin Console needs to restart in order to read it.

From the screen shot, it looks like the Admin Console doesn't know how to display the nodes so it's just displaying random stuff. (looks like a lock device node is being displayed)

Well, I feel a bit silly for not having thought of that. I restarted the admin console and the polyglot did indeed update to statuses that make a lot more sense. Thanks for that great (and should-have-been-obvious-to-me-but-wasn't) tip! :-)

I was hoping that would have fixed the Schlage deadbolt problem as well, but alas it persists.

4 hours ago, chris.com said:

I used to get a web page when I would point my browser to the isy's IP address. I no longer do on the eisy. I tired the various combinations and permutations of http, https, port 80, port 8080, etc. I got nuthin'. Is that web page no longer a thing on the eisy or am I doing something wrong?

Try this:  http://eisy.local:8080/WEB/udajax.htm

I'm guessing that's the "web page" you're referring to. 

Question - how do you need/use this access? I guess there's something for it to be there, but not something I ever use so interested in learning how it is used by others.

Note: any devices brought in through node server do not display on the web interface. (at least not when I logged into mine)

5 hours ago, chris.com said:

But the feature that allows you to change the lock's settings including adding and deleting codes is no longer there. I can lock and unlock and that's it. I suppose I can remove it and re-add it to the system, but I'd like to avoid that if possible because it's a real hassle.

You'd be better off posting a new topic just for this issue in the ZMatter forum or even looking for a few posts in there that referenced locks. I think there were some posts a few months ago about issues and how they overcame them. 

In the 5.6.0 IoX support thread there was a comment from @Chris Jahn to up the interview timeout to 40 seconds or more for older/complicated z-wave devices.

At least you're able to get them to connect. Some have had to bring the lock closer to the eisy + Z-Matter board to include then install it back to the desired location. 

To echo what @bpwwer says...I've made it habit not to have Node Server web access and Admin Console open at the same time. Anytime you make an adjustment in the node server side you have to reload Admin Console so it will read the changes. 

Thank you so much @Geddy and @bpwwer. This is really helpful information.

n the 5.6.0 IoX support thread there was a comment from @Chris Jahn to up the interview timeout to 40 seconds or more for older/complicated z-wave devices.

Interesting. With the tiny internal antenna on the isy994i, I did have some issues talking to that deadbolt. Because of that, I moved the isy994i to a location where it has line of sight. That helped a lot. It's still about 20 feet away though. I thought since the eisy is in the same spot and it has the added advantage of the ZMatter USB's external antennas, communicating with the Schlage Connect would be a slam dunk. Maybe not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I do have a super long ethernet cable and I may be able to get that eisy within a few inches of the deadbolt and try it again. I'll try that this weekend and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again for the guidance. 🙏🏻

@chris.com could be that the lock is the signal issue more so than the ZMatter. Since Z-wave on the ZMatter dongle is running 700 series it has better range, but depending on how old the lock is it might not be as straight forward to work with the newer series device. Seems locks were some of the biggest issues in the past based on comments elsewhere on the forums. Worth reading to see how they were resolved...if they were resolved. 

6 hours ago, chris.com said:

I failed at performing the migration on UD Mobile. The instructions were difficult for me to understand and I'm sure I did something wrong

Worth mentioning @Javi here for your comment about the UD Mobile portion. Again, might be best to toss a post into the UD Mobile specific area if wanting to get help there. 

Have fun playing with all the new features of the eisy + ZMatter + Polyglot

7 hours ago, chris.com said:

I failed at performing the migration on UD Mobile. The instructions were difficult for me to understand and I'm sure I did something wrong. I decided to wipe the whole thing out and start over. That's a hassle because I lost all my favorites I worked on for so long, but I have been wanting to re-imagine the favorites screen anyway so I'm okay with it. It seems like what would be more helpful and straightforward is if there were a way to restore only the favorites portion from a backup file.

If you have a UDM backup it can be reloaded. Then go to the system settings, login to portal prompted. Ignore/Cancel any error or synchronization messages until the items below are completed.

Change the Remote URL by pressing the search icon next to the text entry box then select the new eisy (this is a list of systems from ISY Portal).  Do the same for the local connection settings (this is a list of systems found on your network) if they were used in the previous installation.  Finally scroll to the bottom of the page and press "Clear UUID" (this removes the UUID from memory, if not cleared synchronization will fail as the app does not want to synchronize unrelated systems). Save and synchronize system, clear any items if prompted at the end of synchronization.

• Thanks 1