Ceiling fan control recommendation

rick.curl

One of my Insteon 2475F's just failed and I'm looking for a substitute.  I've got the light handled, but I need a way to control the speed of the fan motor. It's an older Hunter fan, so the motor is inductive (not the newer DC one).  Can anyone recommend a Zigbee or Z-wave module that will allow speed control of an inductive load? I could get by with one that mounts in a wall box, but I'd prefer a small one I can shove inside the fan canopy.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Rick

@rick.curl I'm not sure if you are trying to move away from Insteon, but you can still purchase new 2475F's from Insteon.

https://www.insteon.com/ceiling-fan-controller

Otherwise any z-wave relay would work. Here's some from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=z-wave+relay&crid=FZCBXAEY40CP&sprefix=z-wave+relay%2Caps%2C181&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kzboray said:

@rick.curl I'm not sure if you are trying to move away from Insteon, but you can still purchase new 2475F's from Insteon.

https://www.insteon.com/ceiling-fan-controller

Otherwise any z-wave relay would work. Here's some from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=z-wave+relay&crid=FZCBXAEY40CP&sprefix=z-wave+relay%2Caps%2C181&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I didn't know the 2475F's were still available- but I've got mixed emotions about that.

The Z-wave relays will only turn the fan on or off.  I need speed control- and most dimmers will not work with an inductive load.

3 hours ago, hart2hart said:

I use the Bond hub and Bond BS to
control a 15 year old inductive fan’s on/off and speed. Bond directly links with Alexa if that’s of interest.

I saw a thread about the Bond devices- but I hate to add a hub just to support one device. Not using Alexa. I'm keeping the whole thing arranged so I won't be dependent on the Internet.  

Bond is the way to go unfortunately - it's solid and just works.  Sometimes it'll lose track of the light state (but I thin it's because my kids are impatient) but you can always fix via the app.  

Get the Pro - it's ridiculously priced; but PoE, and stability is alllll there.  It's got a local API that the Bond PolyGlot NS works with locally so you can keep it off the internets and on the local network easily.  

OK- I can't afford the Bond Pro- so if I get the basic Bond bridge, what do I install in the fan to control the motor? Bond's website has little specific information about fan control.

If I go the Bond route, do  I have to use the Bond app to control the fan?  I'd much prefer to have the Eisy control everything.

Sorry to be asking dumb questions. I've been trying to research this online, but I'm getting lots of conflicting info.

Thanks for the help.

-Rick 

Just saw this, but I am using a GE Enbrighten Zwave switch that is capable of fan control for an older Hunter fan:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-Required-SmartThings-14287/dp/B06XTKQTTV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OYLFOXEEMQ4L&keywords=ge+enbrighten+fan+control&qid=1694875493&sprefix=ge+enbrighten+fan%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-1.

When included in IoX, it doesn't have discrete speed controls but there are discussions elsewhere here about using programs to accomplish that. As I recall when I originally had it connected to Smartthings it did have discrete speeds, and there is a request in that discussion about programming speed controls to have the discrete speeds supported in the IoX Zwave node properties.

Edited by landolfi
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got the Enbrighten fan control on my workbench. I can set any of the speeds from the paddle switch on the device,  but so far I can only turn it on or off through my Eisy.  I have fiddled with programs to set the speed, but to no avail.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

-Rick

I have 2 of these and set the speed as follows:

Set 'Master Suite / Devices / MBR CF ZW030' 25%

BTW - at one time I had 5-6 Fanlincs in my house - they are all gone now with most locations replaced by an Insteon On-Off switch and a ceiing fan capacitor wired into the canopy to set the speed (of course, the fan only has 1 speed using this method, but I have found this to be sufficient once I set the right speed)

I don't use this, but I found this program when I moved the Enbrighten to IoX. The idea is to capture the state of the paddle control and set fan speed accordingly, there are 3 altogether, this is #1:

• Media Room Ceiling Fan 1 - [ID 001D][Parent 0001]

If
            'Media Room Ceiling Fan' Status > Off
        And 'Media Room Ceiling Fan' Status <= 32%

Then
            Set 'Media Room Ceiling Fan' 33%
            $Media_Room_Fan_Speed  = 1

Else
       - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I can't find the discussion now but there is one here somewhere about this exact program. If I recall correctly the speed variable enables you to track the current speed setting. For me, I just set the speed manually the way I like and then have Alexa turn it on or off.

• 4 weeks later...