Isteon Motion Sesor 2844-222

barrygordon

Good afternoon.  I am a long time ISY994 user who recently had to switch to EISY because of the failure of the ISY994i. Unfortunately I did not read any of the exhaustive documentation at the Universal-Devices site.  I am 84 years old and don't remember many aspects of how I set up my home which was completely automated based on the ISY994i (now the EISY) and Insteon Devices. I have been doing this since 2005 I m an electrical engineer and software developer.  Its like I am starting over and need some help.

I have a set of sliding doors that would automatically open when approached and sensed by an Aeotec Multiensor 6 which was connected to the ISY994i over Z-Wave.  Z-Wave does not operate very will in my home using the Z-Wave Dongle with the ESIY.   The EISY is located in a special electronics room which is in the back of the Garage. The room is separately air conditioned, maimtained at 68 degrees F,  and has a UPS system supplying all power to the devices in the room. There are several devices including a couple of RPi's, an ethernet based relay system, an ethernet based digital input system and a NAS with 27 TB of raid storage...  The PLM is outside the room connected at the Breaker panels that feed the whole house so they are not isolated from the internal power lines (UPS runs all its devices on Battery). I have decided to switch to an Insteon 2844-222 motion sensor since I have difficulty getting the Aeotec sensors included in the Z-Wave network.

How do I configure, first install and get recognixed by the EISY, the 2844 motion sensor, and then have a scene that is controlled by the motion sensor so I can have several reponders, in particular one that uses network resources to control the sliding door. The scene will interface to the relay controlled sliding doors using a network resource to one of the RPI's that acts as an overeer for the house. 

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/assistance

Barry Gordon

Did you have a backup of your ISY994?  Hopefully yes.  You should be able restore that backup to EISY and have most systems functioning again.  Depending on how you had the IP address assigned you may need to do something there so that EISY is on the same IP as before (only necessary if you had other devices set to talk to ISY at its IP address).  There may be issues if your backup (assuming you have one) is on a somewhat distant firmware version.  But regardless, restoring the backup would be the first step and then you would implement any corrections that may be needed after that.

Apostolakisl, thanks for the reply.

Everything that was on the ISY seems to be working except for one fanLinc /6 button Keypadlinc. I did not have a backup of the isy, but Michel at UD helped me get started. IP addresses are assigned by my router which allows reservation of an IP address based on the devices MAC address. As you pointed out, I have other computers which talk to the EISY.  They do a subscription and use the REST interface.

Techman, Thanks for the reply.

I was trying to keep all my Electronics in the “Electronics” room because of the temperature control (68 degrees F, and the power issue and esthetics.

I am sure the dongle can tolerate a temperature of 78 degrees F as that is what the house is at., and since it is USB it gets its power from the EISY. The issue is now figuring how to run the cable (I don’t do attic work any more) and to pick a spot that is central and unobtrusive.  The Zmatter dongle is basically ugly. The cable will probably have to be long.

Any advice on getting the Aeotec multisensor to get included in the network as I do prefer those sensors.

Right now, I am using the 2844-222 Insteon sensor which seems to work.  I will be playing around with Aeotec multisensor 6 to see if I can properly incorporate it into the Z-Wave network The Insteon sensor has allowed me to verify all the logic

My MS6 is battery powered.  It is sort of working but unreliably.  

What I want to happen when motion is detected is for a network resource to be sent out.

I suspect the Use of a program with the if clause that the "MS6 motion sensor has responded" is not the way to do it.  I suspect that programs are not fired off immediately but they seen to poll the devices to see if any of them are in the desired state for that programs if caluse.

I tried setting up a scene where the MS6 is the controller, but which of the MS6 items do I set up as the scene controller.
I tried adding the MS6 motion entry to an empty scene as a controller and it goes through the process with no error.  When I then look at how the scene is set up the item I just added is a responder not a controller.  I am really confused.

Then as a scene responder how do I get it to send out a network Resource to command a different device that handles the sliding doors. it does not seem logical if it is a responder.  May be I don't understand controller vs Responder.  I thought a controller of a scene causes the scene to be executed having all the responders do what they are supposed to do.

Your (and any one else)'s assistance is greatly appreciated.

Barry

4 hours ago, barrygordon said:

My MS6 is battery powered.  It is sort of working but unreliably.  

What I want to happen when motion is detected is for a network resource to be sent out.

I suspect the Use of a program with the if clause that the "MS6 motion sensor has responded" is not the way to do it.  I suspect that programs are not fired off immediately but they seen to poll the devices to see if any of them are in the desired state for that programs if caluse.

I tried setting up a scene where the MS6 is the controller, but which of the MS6 items do I set up as the scene controller.
I tried adding the MS6 motion entry to an empty scene as a controller and it goes through the process with no error.  When I then look at how the scene is set up the item I just added is a responder not a controller.  I am really confused.

Then as a scene responder how do I get it to send out a network Resource to command a different device that handles the sliding doors. it does not seem logical if it is a responder.  May be I don't understand controller vs Responder.  I thought a controller of a scene causes the scene to be executed having all the responders do what they are supposed to do.

Your (and any one else)'s assistance is greatly appreciated.

Barry

Network resources are executed from programs, not scenes. For example, here is a program I have that closes my blinds via a network resource when I arm my alarm to night mode.

Blind Control - [ID 008E][Parent 008A]

If
        'Elk' Armed Status is Armed Night

Then
        Resource 'IFTTT blinds close'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I don't own any MS6 devices to tell you exactly what the if clause would look like.  But if it is like my insteon motion sensor it would like this using the "control" program language:

image.png.fb9a825e656dbf980a4c9114673ef785.png

And you definitely do not want to use the language "has responded" in a program.  There are almost no situations where you use that.  And programs are executed almost instantly.  ISY does not (of its own accord) poll devices, it is an event based system, not a status based system.  In the above example, if I walk into the pantry, the pantry MS will detect my presence and put out a "control switched on" over the Insteon network.  The PLM and by extension ISY will respond essentially instantly to receipt of the message and execute the program.  The network resource will hit your LAN again essentially instantly and after that it is up to the device receiving the IP packet as to how quickly it responds.  In my case, there is a couple seconds delay that is variable depending on how busy IFTTT servers are.  IFTTT if you are not aware is an online service that connects all kinds of different systems together using If This Then That (IFTTT) construct.

Edited by apostolakisl