EISY SERIAL PLM KIT

shergenr

Can anyone tell me what's the length of the Serial PLM Kit cable?  For some reason UD felt it more pertinent to only provide the weight of the cable an not the length.  

Also, was wondering if this cable length and the use of USB limits the maximum distance a PLM can be from the EISY?  Or can I simply create an extension using RJ45 adapters and Cat5e cable?  Thanks for helping.

The RJ45 Serial Connector.  Is a serial signal on a Network style cable and not a network signal normally on that type of jack and cable. So there is also a limit on the length also.

If you do try and make a cable. Only three signals are used and their position is documented in the PLM Quick Guide. Since other connections are things like TTL level signals. Best to not carry them through the cable at all.

I suspect UDI has their adapter made to the three signals only  needed on the serial side of the adapter.

RJ45 pin 1 RS232 to PC Pin 2 (RX), RJ45 pin 7 Common/Ground, RJ45 pin 8 RS232 from PC Pin 3 (TX), RJ45 pin 3 TTL Out, RJ45 Pin 6 TTL In.

Edited by Brian H
Add data.

Extending distance may depend on the serial interface chip in the adapter and maybe the 2413S. V2.3 added a more ESD safe serial chip. V2.4 added the chip and a transient suppressing network on the two serial signals to the outside world. On an updated serial port daughter board in the 2413S

I have see ISY994i users having success with extending the serial cable to a longer distance. Between the 2413S and the computer. Maybe the same for an EISY adapter.

If you want to see what a serial connection is OK to run on.

2413S PLM. 19,200 Baud, 8 Bits, No Parity, 1 Stop Bit. No hardware hand shaking.

A standard network cable is four twisted pairs of wire. Pair 1 is 1&2, pair 2 is 3&6, pair 3 is 4&5 and pair 4 is 7&8.