Firmware 2.7.15 (Code Freeze) is Now Available

Michel Kohanim

I'm not sure if this is a bug with 2.7.15 or just me, but I've had to restart my ISY every few days since upgrading to 2.7.14. It just stops working (can't get to it on network, doesn't run schedules). Last night I restarted it at 11:30 and it appears to be down again—I'm at work and can't access it... but i can access my camera so the network is up. I had issues with this before that seamed to be resolved but came back with 2.7.14 (http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=4373)

Hello sk8er02,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Quick questions:

1. Are you on 2.7.14 or 2.7.15? If .14, please upgrade to .15 just so that we have the same point of reference

2. Do you have an ELK system to which ISY communicates with?

3. Do you have access to a serial port? If possible, and when it happens, we would like to login through the hyperterminal and see what's going on

With kind regards,

Michel

I'm not sure if this is a bug with 2.7.15 or just me, but I've had to restart my ISY every few days since upgrading to 2.7.14. It just stops working (can't get to it on network, doesn't run schedules). Last night I restarted it at 11:30 and it appears to be down again—I'm at work and can't access it... but i can access my camera so the network is up. I had issues with this before that seamed to be resolved but came back with 2.7.14 (http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=4373)

1. 2.7.15

2. No

3. No - Would there be something in the log that would help?

Hello sk8er02,

1. Are you on 2.7.14 or 2.7.15? If .14, please upgrade to .15 just so that we have the same point of reference

3. Do you have access to a serial port? If possible, and when it happens, we would like to login through the hyperterminal and see what's going on

With kind regards,

Michel

Update: I just had a chance to look at the log. The one thing that stands out is a TON of lines that look like this. This was happening before and seemed to be resolved by plugging the ISY into the router directly rather than a switch (it's still plugged directly into the router)...

0 datafee Mon 2010/05/03 06:22:57 PM System -140000

0 time.ap Tue 2010/04/27 07:54:34 PM System -60001

1. 2.7.15

2. No

3. No - Would there be something in the log that would help?

Hello sk8er02,

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello sk8er02,

The errors you are seeing are related to ISY not having access to the Internet ... I do not think these errors would cause ISY to lockup.

You mentioned that when this happens, your programs do not run either, correct? If you know the IP address of your router, can you try telnet to your ISY? It's very important to see whether or not ISY is even responding.

With kind regards,

Michel

My upgrade from .15 went fine with the exception that I lost the status of both thermostats. I had to actually turn on heating and cooling in order to get the correct status back. Not sure if that's normal on reboots, I didn't pay attention last time I bounced.

Heiko

I've been using 2.7.15 since 4/21, and things have been going smoothly. This morning, I noticed the front porch lights on, so I tried to connect from MobileLinc, but couldn't get a network response. Came inside, rebooted, and then things came back and I could set the lights to go off.

I do have an Elk M1G and CQC talking to this unit. The Elk just triggers a scene on and off each time the garage door opens and closes. I don't have CQC doing anything automated with the ISY at this point.

The log data stops at 7:12 pm last night when it was bringing the outdoor lights on for the evening, and resumes this morning after the reboot. No error messages to report that would account for any of this.

For now, I'm just watching it to see what happens, but thought I should mention the odd behavior as well.

Chris

Michel: It just went down again so I did some tests...

It is responding to KPL buttons that activate programs and an X10 motion detector that activates a program, so it's not completely dead. It is not running network module items (ie turning on/off our security camera).

I am not able to telnet into the ISY nor access it in any other way. I tried pinging it and nothing is found... usually it shows up in the DHCP clients list on my router, it is not.

So in short, it seams it is the network functions that are down.

Hello sk8er02,

The errors you are seeing are related to ISY not having access to the Internet ... I do not think these errors would cause ISY to lockup.

You mentioned that when this happens, your programs do not run either, correct? If you know the IP address of your router, can you try telnet to your ISY? It's very important to see whether or not ISY is even responding.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello sk8er02,

At this point, I would like to send you a replacement to try. It's good news that everything else works except the network functions so hopefully it's a hardware issue.

If you have purchased your unit less than 12 months ago and from SH, you can call them directly for a replacement. Otherwise, please send you serial number and date of purchase to sales@universal-devices.com with subject RMA.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel: It just went down again so I did some tests...

It is responding to KPL buttons that activate programs and an X10 motion detector that activates a program, so it's not completely dead. It is not running network module items (ie turning on/off our security camera).

I am not able to telnet into the ISY nor access it in any other way. I tried pinging it and nothing is found... usually it shows up in the DHCP clients list on my router, it is not.

So in short, it seams it is the network functions that are down.

Hello sk8er02,

With kind regards,

Michel

I had a similar problem a few days after upgrading to 2.7.15. Same symptoms as sk8er02: No network access to the ISY at all (including telnet). A power cycle brought it back.

One thing I noticed is a HUGE number of -60001 errors in the log: Over 16,000 entries in the 36 hours prior to the crash.

0	wolfgan	 	Fri 2010/05/07 12:07:13 AM	System	-60001	
0	wolfgan	 	Fri 2010/05/07 12:07:22 AM	System	-60001	
0	wolfgan	 	Fri 2010/05/07 12:07:31 AM	System	-60001	
0	wolfgan	 	Fri 2010/05/07 12:07:40 AM	System	-60001	
0	wolfgan	 	Fri 2010/05/07 12:07:49 AM	System	-60001

[jeffm@optimator Desktop]$ fgrep 60001 log-20100505.txt | wc -l

The ISY had internet access during this time, and in fact, I was using MobiLinc Pro during this period.

My ISY locked up once before with an earlier release, but without all the -60001 errors in the log.

-Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Apologies for the inconvenience. 60001 means that ISY couldn't resolve the DNS entry for the NTP time server. Although I think these are related but I think the 60001 is the symptom of ISY not being able to get to the Internet.

Looking at the code, the only reasons setting NTP time would happens so often are limited to:

1. NTP synch interval is set to a low interval (9 seconds in your case)

2. The IP address for your ISY changes every so often OR ISY is not able to renew its DHCP address

So, I have the following questions:

1. What's the NTP synch interval in your system?

2. Do you use DHCP for your ISY, and if so, what is the lease time?

3. Is your ISY connected to a switch (is it a GigaBit switch) or directly to the router?

When you have this error, do other programs work (those that are not network related)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Jeff,

Apologies for the inconvenience. 60001 means that ISY couldn't resolve the DNS entry for the NTP time server. Although I think these are related but I think the 60001 is the symptom of ISY not being able to get to the Internet.

Looking at the code, the only reasons setting NTP time would happens so often are limited to:

1. NTP synch interval is set to a low interval (9 seconds in your case)

2. The IP address for your ISY changes every so often OR ISY is not able to renew its DHCP address

So, I have the following questions:

1. What's the NTP synch interval in your system?

2. Do you use DHCP for your ISY, and if so, what is the lease time?

3. Is your ISY connected to a switch (is it a GigaBit switch) or directly to the router?

When you have this error, do other programs work (those that are not network related)?

Michel,

Thanks, as usual, for the prompt response.

1. NTP synch is 60 minutes (1 hour in the configuration tab)

2. Static address for the ISY.

3. Gigabit switch which is connected to the router.

Other programs work, but the ISY stopped logging after the network stack crashed.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you. Would it be possible to connect your ISY directly to your router and let me know if that helps the issue. If it does (i.e. if everything works for a week or two without a problem), then I would like to send you a replacement unit to try.

In the meantime, we would try everything we can to reproduce this issue (alas, not successful thus far) so that we ascertain where the problem comes from.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Jeff,

Thank you. Would it be possible to connect your ISY directly to your router and let me know if that helps the issue. If it does (i.e. if everything works for a week or two without a problem), then I would like to send you a replacement unit to try.

Yes, will do. Thanks for the help.

-JEff

Got the replacement ISY up and running and I'm still experiencing issues with it loosing network connection after about 8ish hours. In the log, I'm seeing the "datafee" error many times around when it looses connectivity. It's directly connected to my (fairly new) gigabit router. Help! :-/

(part of the log around when i believe it fails)

0 datafee Sun 2010/05/16 09:11:08 PM System -140000

0 null Sun 2010/05/16 09:17:27 PM System Start

0 /CONF/E Sun 2010/05/16 09:17:27 PM System -110022

0 /CONF/A Sun 2010/05/16 09:17:27 PM System -110022

0 /CONF/F Sun 2010/05/16 09:17:27 PM System -110022

Hello sk8er02,

At this point, I would like to send you a replacement to try. It's good news that everything else works except the network functions so hopefully it's a hardware issue.

If you have purchased your unit less than 12 months ago and from SH, you can call them directly for a replacement. Otherwise, please send you serial number and date of purchase to sales@universal-devices.com with subject RMA.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello sk8er02,

I am so very sorry for the inconvenience. At this point I have to assume some compatibility between your ISY and your Gigabit router. May I assume that connecting it directly to the router didn't exhibit this issue? If so, would you be kind enough to send me the brand/model number of your Gigabit router and we'll start a root cause analysis using an environment similar to yours.

Again, sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi David,

No. Unless you did any programming using 2.7.8-2.7.11, there's no need to do anything.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thank you Michel! As always, your level of service is exemplary.

It is connected directly to the router. It exibits the same behavor connected to a gigabit switch (which is connected to the same router). I might try purchasing a different one to see if that fixes it...

It's a Belkin N+ router / F5D845-4 V1

Hello sk8er02,

I am so very sorry for the inconvenience. At this point I have to assume some compatibility between your ISY and your Gigabit router. May I assume that connecting it directly to the router didn't exhibit this issue? If so, would you be kind enough to send me the brand/model number of your Gigabit router and we'll start a root cause analysis using an environment similar to yours.

Again, sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello sk8er02,

Thanks so very much for the information. If you have the same issue when connected directly to the router, then the Switch cannot be the issue.

Would you be kind enough to let me know:

1. Make/model number of your router

2. Above and beyond MobiLinc, are there other clients connected to your ISY?

With kind regards,

Michel

It's a Belkin N+ router / F5D845-4 V1

Just MobiLinc and a web browser.

Last night I bought a new/different router to see if that's the issue... waiting to see...

Hello sk8er02,

Thanks so very much for the information. If you have the same issue when connected directly to the router, then the Switch cannot be the issue.

Would you be kind enough to let me know:

1. Make/model number of your router

2. Above and beyond MobiLinc, are there other clients connected to your ISY?

With kind regards,

Michel