Raspberry PI died and ISY deleted half the nodes

apostolakisl

This is a 994i and an rpi running PG2, but the PG3 forum is closest I guess.  Anyway, my rpi died, I ordered a new one, but while waiting, ISY deleted half the nodes.  I do not understand why it did this.  This creates issues since any program that mentions those nodes becomes non-functional.  If I fix those programs, then they will need to be fixed again when I get the new rpi installed.  But why would ISY delete a node just because it isn't responding at the time?  And why only some of the nodes?  I would expect that ISY would just leave the nodes unpopulated, not delete them.  I do not know for sure how long it took from the time the rpi went offline until the nodes were deleted.  There have been several times that rpi went offline for a day or something in the past and this did not happen.  This time it has been over a week and the new rpi is supposed to come tomorrow.

AFAIK no version of IoX has ever spontaneously deleted nodes, including just because the node server fails to respond. It just leaves the nodes with unknown state (status) values. The way the ISY Node Server REST API works, the ISY has no way of knowing whether the node server is just not currently responding or PG2 (or the RPi it's running on) has died.

There are only four ways I know of to delete node server nodes: 1) delete them from the Admin Console (and, because PG2/RPi is dead, they won't get added back), 2) delete them from the PG2 Dashboard while ISY is running and available to PG2, 3) the node server code deletes them while the node server is running, or 4) delete the node server from the Admin Console (Node Servers-->Configure--><Node Server> and then "Delete" button on configuration page) and then all of the nodes for the node server are also deleted.

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Goose66 said:

AFAIK no version of IoX has ever spontaneously deleted nodes, including just because the node server fails to respond. It just leaves the nodes with unknown state (status) values. The way the ISY Node Server REST API works, the ISY has no way of knowing whether the node server is just not currently responding or PG2 (or the RPi it's running on) has died.

There are only four ways I know of to delete node server nodes: 1) delete them from the Admin Console (and, because PG2/RPi is dead, they won't get added back), 2) delete them from the PG2 Dashboard while ISY is running and available to PG2, 3) the node server code deletes them while the node server is running, or 4) delete the node server from the Admin Console (Node Servers-->Configure--><Node Server> and then "Delete" button on configuration page) and then all of the nodes for the node server are also deleted.

Well now ISY went down.  This is at my church so I'll have to stop and try to see why it is down.  But I am able to access the network, so it is not a power outage or network outage.

Anyway, I definitely did not accidentally delete the node doing any of those things.  I am familiar with how to delete a node and promise you I didn't.  But now that ISY has shut down for some reason I am wondering if ISY is having an issue.

Check the power supply or better try a replacement. Known problem for many ISY994i users. That a new supply fixed.

Has a wide voltage input range so you may have one handy.

No Blue or dim Blue Power On LED would be a clue. Mine just tried to reboot and then tried again in cycle as the supply didn't have enough in it to keep it running. Blue LED kept pulsing on and off.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I rebooted ISY and it blinked the two lights indicating no network.  I changed the ethernet wire and the plug on the switch and rebooted again and it is fine.  So, I guess that was a wire or switch issue.  Hard to explain since it has been all the same for several years and no one was anywhere near any of this to bump into it or yank on anything.  Also I made no changes to the network physically or setting wise in many months.  For good measure I replaced the power supply and moved it to a UPS.  I don't think any of this is related to the nodes disappearing.

Upon further review, it appears 3 of the 4 nodes run by PG2 rpi got deleted from ISY.  Then all the programs that had any mention of those nodes turned yellow and stopped running.  My nodelink nodes are fine.

New rpi came today, so we'll see what happens when it goes back online.

Curiously, I also have Nodelink running on that rpi.  I have CAI webcontrol, Sun Position, and ISY Data all running on nodelink.  And some of the fields on those nodes populated even though nodelink is not there.  Specifically, the hour and minute in ISY data are populating and the sun position is populating.  I suppose those nodes are pulling some data from nodelink itself and some data from ISY.  None of the fields for CAI webcontrol populated, which makes sense since ISY clearly has no internal knowledge of any of that, but ISY does have a clock and does track sun position.

Edited by apostolakisl

The new rpi came.  I stuck the sd card into it and it booted straight up.  I moved it over to the same IP it had before and rebooted.  The one and only node that didn't mysteriously get deleted populated as expected.  All the others I needed to delete and re-add.  I actually had 6 nodes on there, so 5 deleted.  The one that didn't delete had nothing particularly different about it.  It was neither my first nor last node that I created on PG2.