Help Needed Getting Basic Program to Work

KHouse
Go to solution Solved by Techman,

I've got the most basic program, and it does not work.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this doesn't work, so I must be missing something obvious. 

Could anyone tell me what basic thing I'm doing wrong here?

If basement lights is ON, and the time hits 9:00pm, then turn the basement lights off.  Seems pretty easy.

I've tried with "status" ON and with "control" 100%.

If I run the "then" statement, it turns the light off.  However, running by itself, it isn't working.

Appreciate any help anyone could give.

Basement Lights Program.PNG

@KHouse for future reference it's easier to post a program to the forums as text. 

To do so:

• Right click on the program
  • Select "Copy to Clipboard"
  • Paste as text.

This does 2 things.

1) makes the program searchable in case it's a program that others are attempting in the future.

2) allows anybody helping you make the modification(s)  to help explain how to fix the program. 

In addition to what @Techman suggested is the switch you're checking for "on" a dimmer? If that's the case maybe make it "Status NOT off". That way if it's at 50% the status would be "not off" and at 9pm would turn it off.

This is a test program I just made and confirm it worked and looks like what you're attempting:

Office_test 

If
        Time is  8:43:00PM
    And 'Office' Status is not Off

Then
        Set 'Office' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KHouse said:

I've got the most basic program, and it does not work.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this doesn't work, so I must be missing something obvious. 

Could anyone tell me what basic thing I'm doing wrong here?

If basement lights is ON, and the time hits 9:00pm, then turn the basement lights off.  Seems pretty easy.

I've tried with "status" ON and with "control" 100%.

If I run the "then" statement, it turns the light off.  However, running by itself, it isn't working.

Appreciate any help anyone could give.

Basement Lights Program.PNG

You are using "switched On".
This can never work. The program If section is using two trigger events that will each call attention to the program for evaluation, but never simultaneously, so the other line will always be false. It takes all  lines to be True to make an AND logic resultant  True.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the responses, much appreciated.  Also thanks for the logic explanation.

I've got decent programs in place (6 button keypads that get pretty creative), but mostly I've copied from others on this board.  So maybe just a brain **** that I couldn't figure out this basic thing, but appreciate the explanation of logic behind it and the extra effort of posting a sample code.

• Like 1