LED Light bulbs dimming

j.rieff

Not sure I am really in the right forum or topic chain. I converted to to an eisy when my 994 decided to go on a permanent vacation. Installation was smooth and I am not having any problems with it. My installation is Insteon devices and I am very appreciative of the new Insteon company getting the supply chain back in smooth operation. 

My question revolves around dimmable LEDs. A few months ago, I purchased some Ecosmart dimmable LEDs that are the classic clear glass bulb style where you can see the "filament." They are a really beautiful. 

I have 2 installations of the bulbs. One is associated with a 2477D Insteon switch while the other is associated with a standard on-off switch (I just received a new 2477D - I was waiting on the color change kits - not installed yet). After initial installation everything worked as expected. The bulbs attached to the Insteon switch ramped up and down according to the programming for the switch in the eisy. The one attached to the standard switch also operated as expected.

Now, let's fast forward a couple of months. The bulbs are now acting like something else is controlling them. The bulbs on the standard switch now ramp up at about a 10 second rate when switched on and instantly go off when switched off. 

The bulbs associated with the Insteon switch act very similarly. They do not ramp up according to the eisy profile. They do ramp down correctly. When I perform a FAST ON through UD Mobile or Admin Console, they ramp up at about a 10 second rate. A FAST OFF functions correctly. Changing ramp rate in the eisy has not affect other than ramp down. 

So far, it appears to be only these bulbs that act as though they have their own minds. Really do want to purchase new bulbs. 

Thoughts?

@j.rieff Probably just brand of bulb having issues. Since you say a bulb connected to a non-Insteon switch has a slow on rate that would make me think it's the bulb having issues with powering on.

Do you have any other brand of dimmable LED? try those in these places to see what happens. 

I've used the Philips brand LED dimmable without issue for the past few years. They're harder to find these days. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-40-Watt-Equivalent-Ultra-Definition-G25-Clear-Glass-Dimmable-E26-LED-Light-Bulb-Soft-White-with-Warm-Glow-2700K-2-Pack-573345/321121548

• Like 2

I have found some led bulbs don't like insteon like others.  

I can have 2 of the same spec bulbs from different mfgs, one will light faster than the other and/or cause it to ramp up when it is suppose to go on, among other things like humming or other noises.

Put the clear filament glass bulbs in different locations found some of them burn out in months versus the 20 years and others fine.

Most don't like to be facing downward or in restricted confined spaces. This can be really bad for pot light styles mounted in insulated ceilings. I burnt my hand on one attempting to unscrew it. The face was fairly warm but the back side, once it fell into my hand, was extremely hot, and I had to toss it onto a chair and then race down the ladder to save the leather from being scorched.

The heat drifting up into the electronics of downward facing bulbs, seems to be a problem and will shorten the life of the electronics.

I prefer to use WiFi bulbs as they can be turned on at 1% without any problems. Insteon dimmed bulbs (or any externally dimmed bulbs) cannot typically be dimmed below about 15 to 20%.

Note: With my Magic Home WiFi bulbs, and my own software, I found one position tended to disconnect from the WiFi on an annoying frequency. After switching several bulbs and experiencing the same problem, I discovered I could, and was, overdriving the downward facing bulb causing the electronics to fail due to overheating. I was illuminating the Cool White LED to 100%, and also the Warm White LED to 50%, simultaneously, giving 150% of the rating of the bulbs and over heating the electronics. Lowering the combination to 100% fixed the problem.